Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18749 Views 157 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 8:04 AM by Wideguy Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next
  • run4it! Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Oct 29, 2009 1:25 PM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)
    Re: 200lb+ C25K Oct 26-Nov1

DanceWalkRunPeguin:

If you're talking about the Run for Water Run, this event is in April of next year. For a 5k here (or anywhere) in December, the best places to look are www.active.com, www.atlantatrackclub.org  and www.runningintheusa.com. There's always a race somewhere here in Georgia. That'll be when I run my first 5k too. I haven't had the chance yet to choose one. Good Luck!!

This is the link for the Run for Water Run. Hope this works:

http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&EVENT_ID=1801773

If that doesn't work, then go back to the post that Redhoney sent and click on her link and look under Georgia.

C25K:  Week 1 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Day     1  2 3

Started: December 27,2010

• redhoney Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    91. Oct 29, 2009 1:45 PM (in response to SeeLisaRun)

Hi Lisa. Welcome. This is a great group of wonderful people who, if nothing else, will definitely keep you motivated!! Don't give up. I didn't think I would be able to do week 3 either but I did and it was great. I was a bit confused by your post though. You said you weren't able to get through the half mile part. Are you doing the Couch to 5k? I am on Week 3 (I run Day 2 tomorrow) and I don't recall a half mile part. Just a 90 second run/walk and a 3 minute run/walk. Just curious.

I keep hearing about this 100 push-up challenge. I may have to look into that. I can't do regular push-ups right now either but I definitely want to get there one day. I can do about 20 or so girlie push-ups at a time, so I am sure with training and practice, I could get to the regular ones...maybe...lol.

Hand in there and keep up the good work. We are all rooting for you.

Oct 22, 2009
    92. Oct 29, 2009 1:58 PM (in response to Donna914)

Amy and Donna. Sorry to hear about the  job issue. I just lost my job on Friday due to budgetary lay-offs. It is really stressful and I may have to move and temporarily split up my family just to find a job. One thing that I will say that I notice through out all of this stress is before, if I was dealing with a stessful situation, I would turn to food or alcohol to ease my pain. When I found out I was being let go, all I wanted to do was get out and get some fresh air and go for a walk. So, I got my daughter, out her in her stroller and we walked a half mile to the playground, played for a while, and then walked the half mile back. In the end, I felt so much better. I guess that is what fitness will do to you.

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    93. Oct 29, 2009 2:01 PM (in response to run4it!)

Thanks. Despite starting the Couch-to-5K program, I'm not yet ready to sign up for a 5K! For one thing, I may end up with a couple of weeks that running gets nixed while my child is out for major surgery in late November. So I really like the idea of an April 5K! I've walked a marathon before, but I've never done a 5K. Oh, wait, maybe I did. Walking. My DH was doing a marathon in Anchorage and I decided to walk the lowest race they had --- then got horribly lost trying to find our hotel. Ended up walking for about 90 minutes with no training.

Well, I've certainly never RUN one of these things!

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• SeeLisaRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 28, 2009
    94. Oct 29, 2009 2:05 PM (in response to redhoney)

Hey!

Ok, I am doing the C25K...am trying to get through week 4 i just realized...not week 3.Oops.. So, I am going to try week 3 over starting tomorrow instead of week 4. Glad you caught my mistake!

Here's the link to 100 pushups. http://hundredpushups.com/

Didn't get in much exercise today except playing basket ball and foot ball with my kids. Calling that good for today cuz my right thigh is pretty sore today. I am sure it will be fine tomorrow.

Oct 22, 2009
    95. Oct 29, 2009 2:33 PM (in response to run4it!)

Run4it ~ I am glad to hear that you will be running with me. I think that this is a very important cause. Things that we take for granted every day are precious and often limited or non-existent comodities in other countries. Water needs to be conserved everywhere...not just in Africa. But I digress. This should be a fun race and if possible, I urge all of you to see if there is a Run for Water event going on near you. If nothing else, you will be getting out there and pushing yourself a little harder than normal...this is a 6k after all...

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    96. Oct 29, 2009 3:30 PM (in response to susiecute)

Sorry, susiecute, I decided I had time to finally update the design to work in my FatManRunningAndTransformingIntoAThinnerMan logo.  I might have mucked with your ability to post at that time.  Thanks for letting me know.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

Sep 14, 2009
    97. Oct 29, 2009 3:37 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Wideguy,

There's something to be said for keeping a layer of something between your feet and the ground, especially if you can't control the environment.  Native Americans of many tribes used leather moccasins.  Yet a foot that gets accustomed to running without cover will develop callouses and get used to taking a beating and an occasional poking.  But in our age, running across broken glass is a distinct possibility, so running without shoes might not be a great idea for urban dwellers, or even for park runners.  I'm still waiting to see someone introduce a kevlar sock--something that will not impede the mechanics of the foot at all, but will help keep any sharp objects from getting through.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

Sep 14, 2009
    98. Oct 29, 2009 3:38 PM (in response to run4it!)

Unfofrtunately, we'll need to start hosting Run for Water events for much of the desert American west in just a few years...

Sep 14, 2009
    99. Oct 29, 2009 3:41 PM (in response to redhoney)

redhoney,

http://hundredpushups.com/

On first look at the page, it seems like they only want Marine Corps push-ups, but digging further in, they acknowledge that not everyone may be able to do them on the floor when getting started.  You may do them on your fists (vs. flat hands), on your knees, or even leaning against a wall or countertop--all depending on what you can handle when you begin.

Sep 14, 2009
    100. Oct 29, 2009 3:43 PM (in response to redhoney)

redhoney,

Sorry to hear about your job situation, but I was excited to read how you redirected your stress into getting out and being active.  Brava!

• CrankyGoat Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 16, 2009
    101. Oct 29, 2009 4:01 PM (in response to ovenfried)

Well, this is it for me - I've set my start date for the C25K for tomorrow and I am hoping I can achieve some of the consistency you guys have shown here on this thread.  My wife, who is in great shape and a regular runner, has offered to help me out and be a running partner - that should be a big help to keep me consistent.  When I first tried this program in the summer, I started out with just me and our dog ... and it was really easy to get distracted and lose the motivation.  Plus, I learned that my mutt was just as lazy as me - I swear he would grin when we slacked off or missed a day!

FatManRunning - you are a terrific inspiration for me, thanks for sharing your journey.  I like the One Hour Runner program, sounds like a great goal if (when) I succeed in the C25K.

CrankyGoat

C25K : WEEK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Start Date: October 30th, 2009

• CenTexWannaRun Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    102. Oct 29, 2009 4:21 PM (in response to ovenfried)

woohoo .... finally got to do W1D2 today after a week chocked full of torrential downpours, flag-football games, trips to the hospital with the wife and a myriad of other unplanned crap.

after all of studying i've been doing on 'minimal' footwear - i went to my local Academy and found ........ CRAP for running shoes.  i got to thinking that i should probably ease my way down the minimalist path anyway, so i did inventory of my shoes and found a pair of Lotto indoor soccer shoes that are very flat and not all built up in the heel area.  i did the run and noticed that while my feet still hurt much the same way as they did last time, it took much longer for my calves to tighten than it did in my Saucony or NB running shoes.  it may have been coincidence - but it makes me feel better to think that it is better

only one more run and Week 1 will be done!

i'm also considering the 100pushups thing too - that seems like a cool program.  i think i'll take the 'initial test' tonight and see where i stand.

-George-

C25k Progress:

Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Day: 1 2 3

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    103. Oct 29, 2009 4:40 PM (in response to ovenfried)

You guys and gals are truely strong and amazing! I'm hoping that everyone is aware of that and is proud of his/her accomplishments. Even if you're doing W1D1 for the 35th time. Running is hard. It is really hard. And it takes consistent training. It takes courage to get back out there after you've had a couple of lousy runs or have been away for awhile. It takes an amazing amount of determination to push yourself when your mind and/or lungs say stop. Be proud because this isn't easy and you're still doing it!

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    104. Oct 29, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Re: 200lb+  C25K  Oct 26-Nov1

Wideguy,

There's something to be said for keeping a layer of something between your feet and the ground, especially if you can't control the environment.  Native Americans of many tribes used leather moccasins.  Yet a foot that gets accustomed to running without cover will develop callouses and get used to taking a beating and an occasional poking.  But in our age, running across broken glass is a distinct possibility, so running without shoes might not be a great idea for urban dwellers, or even for park runners.  I'm still waiting to see someone introduce a kevlar sock--something that will not impede the mechanics of the foot at all, but will help keep any sharp objects from getting through.

Something Like This?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/images/products/101//large.jpg

or this? What the Tahramura  wore when they won the Leadville 100

http://media.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/newsroom/images/3141168.jpg

You're right, but doesn't have to be much.  and I've run all my miles so far on asphalt lots  and paths.  Actually very easy to  see glass or stones before you step on them.  And the most amazing thing happens when you run barefoot,  your feet become hyper sensitive to feedback.  If you start to bring your weight  down on something sharp, you will stop and shift weight to the other foot or to another area of your foot. As I saw quoted in "Born to Run,"  don't forget  "Humans didn't invent rough surfaces, we invented the SMOOTH ones."

This summer I hiked a mountain in NH barefoot...  just be careful when you step is all.  But you are definitely right in one way, I live in Massachusetts ... recent barefoot experience is telling me asphalt will be flat out too cold .  So I'm getting Five Fingers :-)

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...