Skip navigation

1753 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 13, 2011 11:39 AM by khewitt816 RSS
FlashthroughWater Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2009 7:58 AM

Help needed! How to correct and improve the breaststroke for a young swimmer?

My son is 12-yr-old, he had been swimming for over 4 years. He had been a very good breaststroker within his age group. Since last year, he suddenly improved on every other strokes, such as freestyle, back

even fly, but his breaststroke had been falling apart, his coach said he had wrong arm-leg timing, and his stroke looked odd, not smooth anymore. Since then, he could not improve the breaststroke events but

add time. He was very frustrated, so we are seeking help. Thanks!

• khewitt816 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011

Hi,

I have been coaching for about 9 years and breast stroke is one of the hardest strokes to learn if you're not a natural. The timing for breast stroke is:

Pull

Breath

Kick

Glide

If he looks choppy, my guess is that he is missing his glide and taking another stroke before he is fully in streamline. Make sure he is stopping in streamline for a good amount of time to begin with. The easiest way is to have him count to 3 when he returns to streamline.

Make sure the timing is on cue. The kick should begin when your hands are together and finish the same time your hands extend forward.

This is the simplest way I can explain it for now. I hope this helps a little, even though this response if very late.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points