Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1987 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 23, 2010 2:36 PM by SlowPokeChu
PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
Apr 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2009 5:39 AM

Newbies can post as often as they want, right?

So here I am, 1 week and 5 swims into "my new activity."  Hopefully the enthusiasm won't wane.  It didn't for running.  I'd still rather be running, but, well... That's life and running's supposedly hard on my knees and I don't want a knee replacement.

Today's swim, 2x500 and 1x200 with 25 meters of back float/kick recovery in-between.  I'm pretty pleased to be at 3/4 mile total swim distance for a beginner.

I'm still not in jammers (I'm not sure how soon I'll do that...just a little too revealing to me).  I need to get better goggles still (using the kids goggles from their swim lessons.  Amazingly, they fit).

I can do alternate side breathing sometimes, but most of the time, I find I'm too out of breath by the third stroke to maintain alternate side breathing for very long, especially after the first few laps.

I did do one lap "fast" to finish the workout this morning.  Boy, that's a totally different feeling!  Feels much smoother and arrow like!  I wish the slow plodding pace felt so lean!

So, just thought I'd put it out there to encourage other newbies who might be here and see if you well practiced folks have any input.

Just a quick question.  Runners have a mantra of adding no more than 10% per week either in miles or speed (and don't increase both in a week).  Is there a similar mantra in swimming to avoid injury?

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • SlowPokeChu Pro 64 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 23, 2010 2:36 PM (in response to PedDoc1)
    Re: Newbies can post as often as they want, right?

I'm a runner too! And I just recently (1 month ago) started swimming...but yes...I also prefer running. But I find going FAST in the pool feels a lot smoother than going slow.

Slow always makes me feel like I'm sinking.

Also, Apparently, runners have a tendency to cycle their legs in the water...which is counterproductive when swimming. I tried faster arms and slowing up my kicks and letting my legs flow behind me ...and it FELT AWESOME!!!!

I still get winded...but less so.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...