Skip navigation

1742 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2009 5:24 PM by sptlc0
mann1unc Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 22, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2009 8:55 PM

Chip Failure and Therefore Text Update Failure

My chip didn't work and so my time was not recorded by a single checkpoint, including the start line. All three family members I ran with have their times recorded and we all crossed the start at the same time. This was my first marathon and I ran with my brother, uncle, and cousin-in-law. My brother is a marine stationed in Jacksonville, NC. He returned from Iraq on July 4th so I was running in his honor (it took some convincing to get him to run it!).

This failure was unfortunate not just because it was my first race and I wanted my time, but my mother was supposed to get text updates of my progress so she could find me to take pictures. Sadly, no text = no pictures. I'm left with the $15 5x7 options from marathonfoto which are blurry. I also don't know my exact time because I didn't stop my watch until in the chute. I think it was within a minute of 4:33:00, though. I tried to keep up with the three guys carrying the USA, Marine Corps, and Support Our Troops flags. I was successful until the last two miles :D. At least I have the medal...

I was looking up some friends times and noticed some of their times didn't record either. There is no way that only 20,000 out of the 30,000 finished the marathon. That's got to be a glitch, right?? I don't think I'm counted in that number.

I was doing well, going on a 4:10:00 pace until mile 20, my legs started cramping pretty bad on the bridge. Then, on mile 25 my legs locked up completely. I had 13 minutes to run 1 mile and take out Oprah but I just couldn't do it . I was happy with my first marathon time, though. Truthfully, after having only run three times the month before the race, I was glad to just finish. My previous long run was 18 miles with I did one month before and before that my longest was 13.1! Talk about pushing the boundaries.

Anywars, I've emailed them but I'm waiting to hear back. Any suggestions?

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    2. Oct 30, 2009 7:00 AM (in response to mann1unc)
    Re: Chip Failure and Therefore Text Update Failure

Congratulations on your accomplishment, 4:30 is an excellent time! keep emailing the race people and put your comments on marathonguide.com as well.

It doesn't matter what type of chip you had, you should have been able to test it at the expo!

• danielofarley Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 13, 2008
    3. Oct 30, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to PersianP)

I had the same issue, no time, first marathon.  Was very disappointed, family and friends checking site, wondering why I didn't finish.   I sent e-mail here

timer.guy@gmail.com  and within two days it was put up on the site.    If you can, give info re: your watch time as close as you can guess as I imagine this is helpful.

Good luck and I understand your frustration.

• runbennyrun Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 14, 2008
    4. Oct 30, 2009 4:47 PM (in response to mann1unc)

Check out http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/mcm_finish and guesstimate your time to see when you finished.

Since the D-Tags are "guaranteed" by the manufacturers to work, race directors dont have participants check them.

• sptlc0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    5. Nov 3, 2009 5:24 PM (in response to mann1unc)

Chip failure also - Glad I came out here to see if others had the issue -  I should have guessed when the chip was sooooo hard to peel off the bib.  Then it stuck together vs the 'loop' on my shoe.   My chip missed the 5k, 10k, picked up the next, then missed one, then picked up 2 more, then stopped working again.  I know I couldn't be the only one.  I've sent 3 emails to find out what's up.  I have each mile recorded, so yes, I do know what I did (4:39) at the finish line vs what is posted.  The friends I ran with, theirs worked.  Very frustrating and disappointing.  Those following me on the course thought something must have happened after it stopped picking me up during the race.   Sure hope I hear from someone on if/how they are going to fix it.  I've run about 7-8 other marathons and other races, never happened before, but then again, never used that kind of 'chip' either.  How do they know my clock time if they don't know my chip time at the end?  Has anyone heard from MCM timing about this chip failure.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points