Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3504 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2010 12:47 PM by ColmQ
YogiMomNJ Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2009 7:47 AM

Jersey Shore Marathon 2010

I ran the Jersey Shore Marathon in 2000...my last marathon before having my son.  I have committed myself to running it again 10 years later!  Anyone else out there training for it?

• Steve Carton Legend 369 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007
    1. Nov 2, 2009 9:38 AM (in response to YogiMomNJ)
    Re: Jersey Shore Marathon 2010

What date is this? April 17, 2010?

Do you know of a website with the scoop on it?

• marley mission Pro 65 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    2. Nov 2, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to YogiMomNJ)

this one will probably be on my radar

now running in...

Vibram Five Fingers KSO and KSO TREKS

come ck out the vff enthusiast community birthdayshoes.com

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/marleymission/bobrunnercopy.png

• ColmQ Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009
    4. Dec 8, 2009 8:22 AM (in response to YogiMomNJ)

Yes, both I and Mrs Q have registered.  ( ITBS problems mean I there is a chance I might not make it - Mrs Q is made of sterner stuff ! - but gotta be positive).  Good flat course from what I have heard though having the half-marathoner being cheered to a finish can be a bit demoralizing I am told.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    5. Dec 8, 2009 8:31 AM (in response to ColmQ)

Colm you have plenty of time to address your IT Band problems -

1. find a chiropractor that practices Active Release therapy - 7 days off running and 2 treatments and I was able to train again - a few more treatments and the problems never returned

2, check your shoes - make sure these are not the cause

3. Start a daily hip strengthing routine - IT Band issues are often the result of weak hips

4. foam roll + stretch your IT band daily / regular deep tissue sports massages

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

Sep 20, 2009
    6. Dec 8, 2009 10:06 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes these are all good ideas - hope you are not talking from personal experience !  [Edit:  Ooops - re reading I see you are speaking from personal expereince - congradulations on getting past it] There are a wealth of opinions on ITBS - usually conflicting.  Actually I am beginning to suspect that ITBS covers a number of different problems.  I've got the roller, got the chiro (although I am unclear what Active Release therapy is - I have been seeing this guy for years - I find the chiropractic practice endlessly counter intuative and entertaining !), varied the shoes.

The ITBS popped up at mile 11 of a half-marathon late August ( I have to confess it was last minute decision to run and I had not really trained properly and was focused on 5k-10k distances ).  It does seem to be making progress and hopefully now that I have shutdown races for 2009 it will continue to progress.  I have found that alternating heat and ice on it helps as does being very diligent about post run stretching (yes, I confess I had been a bit sloppy about this earlier).

The hips are interesting - I am planning to get someone to video me while running as I suspect I may be "tucking" my right leg in under me when I run. What specifically do you do to strenghten hips.  From playing soccer when younger I know I am decidedly left footed.  I am playing around with the theory of strenghting the glutes by going in 'in reverse' on an eliptical.

I plan to see a sports therapist but plans have not come together yet.  Truthfully the worst part of this for me is the lack of confidence caused by the nagging worry that it might reappear again.  I have another HM coming in Jan that I am considering a checkpoint.  Anyway - don't wish to hijack this thread with my woes.   Fingers and toes crossed !

• Belisarius1953 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 28, 2009
    7. Jan 17, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to YogiMomNJ)

I am running the full Marathon and have researched it a fair amount.  From what I've found, reaction to the race is overall very positive, with the following receiving compliments:

1) the race course is flat with just a 28 foot rise in one area;

2) it is fast;

3) it is relatively uncrowded as the Marathon appears to attract about 2,000 participants;

4) its run fully in the daylight;

5) the scenery, particularly the oceanfront, is quite attractive;

6) race volunteers are very good and the food/water stations are quite adequate.

7) the Race Director welcomes criticism and questions by email and responds.

8) the medals and food were fine.

9) the races have grown in popularity each year;

10) the finish is in the heart of some restaurants and shops.

On the negative side, I've come across the following:

1) Almost universal criticism of the shuttle bus system, which gets runners from the parking lot where you leave your car (I believe its Monmouth Raceway) to the start;

2) The Expo is tiny (perhaps to be expected for the race size);

3) The Marathon course is a double loop of 13.1 miles; the first loop you are conjoined with the Half Marathoners (much more numerous) so it can seem crowded and there's a lot of screaming for the Half Marathoners to finish their race, which is midpoint for the Marathoners and can be quite distracting;  : 

4) the main race hotel is supposed to be expensive ($ 300 a night) and not overly helpful for the runners (only saw this once, don't know if its true.

I'm doing Jersey Shore becuase its supposed to be a fast Marathon (want to get under 4 hours if I can after finishing 4:11 and 4:18 in MCM and DW) and the race results either indicate its one of the fastest Marathons or it attracts fast runners), I'm from NJ originally (now in DC area), its good and flat, and its run at a decent time of year (early May). I will probably drive down from the Trenton area that morning as its only about a 45 minute drive and I believe the race starts at 8 or 9.

Best of luck to you and all others!

Sep 20, 2009
    8. Jan 18, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to Belisarius1953)

Fun winter for training eh ?!!

I have heard the same comment about the end of the half being tough for those starting the second loop.

What about wind off the sea - that's my biggest concern.  Hills bother me less than potentially six miles(?) of head wind.  I guess being a shore marathon that's just the way it is ?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...