Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1639 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2009 12:56 PM by Ajax0505
MarineTanker Expert 56 posts since
May 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2009 8:27 PM

Newbie to the Tri arena.

I'm totally new to this sport.  Anyone with suggestions on what type of bike to get to do a half Ironman?  Thanks for all.

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    1. Nov 2, 2009 5:45 AM (in response to MarineTanker)
    Re: Newbie to the Tri arena.

Dear friend !

Welcome to the wonderful world of triathlon.

Before you think of doing a half Ironman you should start with sprint and olympic distance events. Take it easy and build up your body during at least one or two years before you think of doing a 70.3 . Make sure to get the correct aero-bars on your bike (Sprint and Olympic fistance rules are different frrom Ironman rules).

Good luck

Gunter

www.triatlonca.org

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 2, 2009 6:32 AM (in response to MarineTanker)

you can use a mtn bike or a hybrid but you'd probably be better off w/ a road or tri bike - go to a good local bike shop and see what they can offer you that fits you and fits your budget.

do you have a training plan and training races set up?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    3. Nov 2, 2009 9:02 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

I would agree with the other post, make sure you do some short races before you do your 70.3. My first sprint race was the toughest thing i had ever done, due to the fact that i got my nutrition and hydration all wrong. I ate and drank to much for the race and got stomach cramps. An endurance race is a beast all on its own. in my second sprint race i got all that sorted out and i had an awesome race. I am now planning on doing a 70.3 in june next year but plan on doing a few international / olympic distances leading up to that. Get your feet wet on some shorter distances.

Sorry Joe but, on the bike side, if you are competitive like me, don't waste your time with a mtn bike. I tried that, put road tires on it and even put a racing sprocket on to help improve my speed. Lated about 2 months till i traded it in. Go straight for a road bike and put aero bars on it. Now if you are part of the Jone's family and can afford it, just buy a Tri-bike and a road bike. Use the tri bike for training and races and use the road bike when you ride with your mates.

Be aware though, A tri bike will not make you win races right off the bat. I have what amounts to a 1000-00 dollar road bike with a few mods and still regularly take over guys that wouldn't look out of place riding next to lance armstrong or chris lieto. there is no substitute for strong legs and hard work.

Good luck with your entrance into multisport. it is really fun and pretty cool the respect you get from people when you tell them you are into triathlons. it is definately a journey of self discovery.

jason

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• andrea hoeschen Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 24, 2008
    4. Nov 2, 2009 8:05 PM (in response to MarineTanker)

You don't give a lot of information to go on.  If you are an experienced and fit swimmer with some marathons under your belt, you probably could make your first tri a 70.3, contrary to the above posts.  If not, well, don't do anything stupid.  Regardless, you should ride several bikes before making a decision between a road bike or tri bike.  Either one will work so long as they are well-fitted to you.  A well-fitted tri bike will make you more competitive, but a well-fitted road bike with aero bars can be very competitive, more comfortable for training, and more versatile.

• Ajax0505 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 29, 2009
    7. Nov 3, 2009 12:56 PM (in response to MarineTanker)

I might suggest a mid-range Fuji road bike such as the Roubaix - they are reasonabley priced and quite stylish - attach some clip-on aerobars after you feel comfortable with riding it with the normal drops - steer away from a tri-bike at first since it will be hard to handle and uncomfortable on long rides - you can trade up after awhile when you are more accomplished

Attachments:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points