Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1112 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2009 9:31 AM by marley mission RSS
Jennie1980 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 2, 2009 6:32 AM

New runner with lower leg pain. . . help

Hi all.  I started the couch to 5K program 5 weeks ago and love it.  However, the beginning of the 5th week I started experiencing sharp pain in my lef calf.  the pain radiates into my ankle and achiles area.  I saw my primary care doctor upon recommendation from a personal trainer who said I had tendonitis in my calf muscle.  I rested, iced, and got a massage.  However, after 7 days of no running the pain in my achilles persists.  I'm trying really hard to finish the program by the end of Nov. to run in my first 5K.  does anyone have thoughts on what I can do to keep running but not seriously injure myself.

all advice appreciated!

thanks, Jenn

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

• Vin Camacho Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    1. Nov 2, 2009 6:54 AM (in response to Jennie1980)
    Re: New runner with lower leg pain. . . help

From my experience tendonitis is something you just have to deal with. I would recommend listing to your doctor for types of treatment. Strengthen the muscles around the tendon to help support it. I am sure your Dr. or personal trainer will know a good PT guy. When I found out I had tendonitis in my shoulder while I was a wrestler, I was told I would be okay if I could handle the pain. Good luck.

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old becasue you stop running"

Take care, Train hard and Train smart. Sincerely, Vincent

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    2. Nov 2, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to Jennie1980)

My first though was "Is it your shoes?"  Since you are a beginner, did you just go for stylish or did you go to a running store and get your gait checked out? Not every shoe works for every runner.  Also, if you are in older shoes, they may look terrific but the support will be gone.  The shoe you're in may be too low in the heel.  My second thought was, "Are you using a foam roller to roll the calf and IT band?"  Before you stretch, get out the knots with the roller, then stretch.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, google "Self myofascial release" and look at some of the articles.  The massage should have helped because the foam roller is like self massage but you can do it frequently.  The last thought was, "Where are you running?"  Some streets slope down gently from the middle of the road to help with runoff.  In effect, it makes your left leg seem a bit longer than your right.  Also, concrete is much harder on legs than asphalt or trails.  All these things come into play when you use muscles a bit differently than they've been used to.  Good luck with your training and hang in there.

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• marley mission Pro 65 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    3. Nov 2, 2009 9:31 AM (in response to bellsway)

try vibram five fingers

now running in...

Vibram Five Fingers KSO and KSO TREKS

come ck out the vff enthusiast community birthdayshoes.com

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/marleymission/bobrunnercopy.png

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points