Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22790 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 8:34 AM by upwardbound Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Nov 5, 2009 9:16 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 2nd-Nov 8th

Last night week knocked out week 5 and the first 20 minute run. It's an understatement to say that I wasn't optimistic going into it. I was on my 3rd day of 12 hour shifts and physically and mentally exhausted. Fortunately, my naturally stubborn personality kicked in and I forced myself to finish. Tomorrow's run looks easy in comparison, but that will be after the 5th day of work hell.

• jenma1973 Amateur 24 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    106. Nov 5, 2009 9:37 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hey folks! I just found you! I'm 242. When I started c25k, three weeks ago, I was 246. It's been stressful, scary, exhilarating, and empowering to do this program. I'm glad I found a thread for fatties! Sometimes I feel like an alien at the gym, an alien on the planet of sexy, fit people!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    107. Nov 5, 2009 9:51 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine Grad.jpg

Congratulations Jasmine1972!!  You did it!  So what is next?  You want to do an online challenge, one hour runner or something like that?

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    108. Nov 5, 2009 10:00 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Hang in there, AFMR, I know being injured or not feeling 100% can wear on you .  I have not ran since my 10K and I have a 5K this weekend.  I am a bit nervous about it since I have not ran.  Some friends from Bible Study are going to do it also..  The wife is going to walk with my husband and her husband is going to run with me.  Sorta nervous but I guess that is a good thing.

I think I am better and I am ready to run, but man so much going on. My husband started a new job with long hours so I am left to tend the family and the house and run the business.  My daughter starts Cross Country in a few weeks and she started year round swimming this past week so I spend most of my afternoon running her around and cleaning and cooking.  I am exhausted at the end of the day

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• DadtoTwins Pro 55 posts since
    Mar 17, 2009
    109. Nov 6, 2009 4:54 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Just thought I'd weigh in with my $.02. I had always been on the heavy side my entire life. My weight gradually had creeped up to around 228 last year. I finally decided that enough was enough and I had to do something.  So, I did the 10 week podrunner intervals training program, First Week to 5K (similar to C25k). Well, I completed the program and have been running ever since. I usually run 3-5 times a week for 3 miles. I now weigh 178 lb, close to my ideal weight and have never felt better. Congratulations to everyone here who completed their first 5k run. Just stick with it and the lbs. will come off.

I am scheduled to run in my 3rd 5k race next weekend in Raleigh, NC and am really looking forward to it. My goal is 27:00.

PR's

Run the Quay 5k, 6/4/11, 24:34

Tobacco Road Half Marathon 3/20/2011, 1:52:19

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    110. Nov 6, 2009 6:47 AM (in response to DadtoTwins)

Welcome, DadtoTwins and congrats on your awesome progress!

Last night, I finished W3D2...it's not "easy", but it's "easier" once you get past that second interval (the first 3 minute one). It's absolutely brutal. I'm sure I'm going to look back in 3 weeks and laugh that I found a 3 minute interval brutal...but it was.

However, after the last one, just to prove to myself I had more stamina and can keep building, I ran it out for an extra 30 seconds. Do any of you ever do that or do the majority of you run it to a T?

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• susiecute Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    111. Nov 6, 2009 7:29 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Fluffy - You are such an awesome cheerleader!

• susiecute Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    112. Nov 6, 2009 7:35 AM (in response to Smashville)

Smashville - Don't be hard on yourself, Week 3 IS brutal.  It's the only week we repeated, it was that hard for us.  I occasionally run a little extra at the end if I have it left in me, but I don't push it too hard, becuase I'm always afraid it will make the next run that much harder.  W6D3 today.  Bring on the 25 minute run!  I'm ready!

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    113. Nov 6, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

GoRunIrish - Thanks for the suggestion.  I will be seeing Mom this weekend and will mention it to her.

Have a great weekend.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    114. Nov 6, 2009 9:07 AM (in response to Smashville)

Smashville - I agree with Susiecute, week 3 is brutal. It's the only week I repeated.To answer your other question, yes. I know you're supposed to follow the program to a T but I would add extra intervals on at the end of most runs. I always made it a point to get to 3 miles. I do, however, only run 3 days per week as required.

Today I did my 5 minute warm up then began running. My legs felt like lead and I told myself, "I'm turning around up here and I'm walking back to the car. I'll do this tomorrow." Just before I got to a turn around point, a runner passed me on the left and smiled and said, "Good Job!" I told him "Thank you" and I never turned around. I just kept running for my 28 minutes. Why I don't remember to tell myself "good job" is beyond me. 2 lessons I have learned since beginning C25K are 1) running is mental. You must think positive thoughts and believe you can. and 2) the first 8-10 minutes of a run are the hardest. If you talk yourself through it, you'll come out on the other side still running. Now if I could only remember those lessons while running! lol

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• Delle78 Amateur 25 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    115. Nov 6, 2009 9:22 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Im so glad there is a thread out here like this. How exciting!!

I'm Danielle and I love participating in 5k's... I have yet to run a full 5k. I usually walk and run for a few minutes.

I'm 334lbs and 6'2... yes I played basketball.

I am undergoing Weight Loss Surgery later this month and after I recover I plan to start the C25K program... again. I started it in the spring but my weight was too much (top heavy).

I live in Denver and participated in:

The IronGirl

&

Fans on the Field

finished both in under an hour.

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    116. Nov 6, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Good Morning my lovely Clydesdales!

I wanted to let you know that I thought of you all today. I did my 65 minutes on the elliptical machine and went for my indoor run which I have trouble with....going round and round on the indoor track. I keep losing count of how many times I go around so I've just been going for time. I ran for 25 minutes and that should have been a tad over 2 miles - my pace is typically around 11:30. I actually really wanted to stop...I give up easily when I don't have my running partner with me...but I started thinking about you guys doing c25k...and how tough it is when first starting...you just gotta push through. It's funny because it's easier to run outside for me...breathe fresh air, feel the breeze, etc.

I got new running shoes last night - my same NB769's are on sale because the new version is coming out. I got them for $69 instead of $105! And get this - my old shoes were 9B and my new ones are 8.5D! Double wide! My poor baby toes have been worn down because I've been running in shoes that weren't wide enough

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• upwardbound Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    117. Nov 6, 2009 10:43 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello to everyone,

I totally understand about injury, all too well.  I am loving how ya'll are motivated to run, I can not wait to get there.  I am not motivated and have not yet established the desire.  I know I will and I just have to keep pushing through it, be like Nike and just do it!  Having a 5K in three weeks does give me motivation.  Fighting with migraines all this week but I am hoping with my new meds I will be running Sat.  I love how ya'll are running 4 miles, that is soo awesome. Do anyone know if there is a program for someone who walks / runs already?

• Iambigmike66 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    118. Nov 6, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello all! Much respect to the Clydesdale and the Athenas out there. I am not new to running but have broken the stereotype that big people cant run. I am 6'6" 275. I run a 6 minute mile and I finish a half-marathon in about 1:45. These numbers are hard to believe but you can look up my results after this upcoming weekend at the Monson Memorial Classic Half-Marathon (look up Michael Smith Jr from Middletown, CT...thats me ). Its all in the size of your heart. If you have the heart you can do anything. I was over 300 pounds and let myself go pretty bad a couple years back. I came to the point where I was getting intigestion at the thought of food, its a terrible feeling and found it good reason to change. I started off slow and steady and worked my way up. I run 5 days a week, lift 6 days a week (kettlebells were my savior). I turned my life, my body and my confidence around and it made it all that much better to know I did it through hard work and determination.

So keep it up and strive to meet your goals. Anything is obtainable...if you believe you achieve!

Thanks for listening!!

Mike

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    119. Nov 6, 2009 12:29 PM (in response to mngreeneyes)

mngreeneyes,

We lived in St. Paul for about 10 years, up until about three years ago.  We lived not far from the famed Earl St. Dairy Queen (best prices in town).

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...