Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22449 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 8:34 AM by upwardbound RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Previous Next
  • mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 4, 2009 9:51 AM (in response to AnthonyJTa)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 2nd-Nov 8th

Wow Anthony, you are my hero and inspiration.  Congrats on you wedding and your running.

I too have tried to do the C25K before but quit for some of the same reasons you mentioned.  I am now back from a pulled achilles and bigger (ashamedly 270) and older (almost 38)than ever.  I was also just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  I will actually start the C25K portion of my plan in a week and a half as I am doing 3 weeks of walking before I start running.  Hopefully it will prevent injury this time.  Thank you for sharing your story.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    61. Nov 4, 2009 9:54 AM (in response to Donna914)

Donna 914, thanks for the good words.

I am eating healthy..I just didn't include the details. Should you really increase your calories with increase in exercise?

It sounds like you are doing great.

Today, I repeated W5 D2 because I screwed up on W5 D2 on Monday. Also, I know that I am not  ready to do 20 straight minutes of running which is W5 D3. What a challenge that will be.

..And let me say this.....I am so hooked on this website..I have been reading all the helpful tips and have done nothing else all day today..except of course, my W5  D2.

Is anyone on W5? It seems to me  a big jump from doing 2   8 minute runs with a walk in between to W 5 D3 which is a straight 20 minute run.

thanks to everone for all the sharing and the information.

aprillilly
  • aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    62. Nov 4, 2009 10:28 AM (in response to jlm8903)

jlm8903.I have been looking for someone  on W5  D3. Please let me know how this transition goes from running 8 minutes to 20minutes.

aprillilly
  • abfritz Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    63. Nov 4, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to aprillilly)

aprillilly-

I lurk on this thread since I'm a friend of AFMR and the Mrs. I don't really  qualify for this group, but I can speak to your question.

W5, D3 is intimidating. That 20 minute run looms out there and is crazy scary. I dare you to trust the program and go for it though. You've already basically run that far with very little break. Keep your pace slow and easy and you will surprise yourself. You CAN do this! Look at all the others before you who weren't sure they could do the 20 minute run. They tried it and succeeded. It's empowering to conquer that run.

Go for it! You'll have lots of support.

Amy

(friend to AFMR and Mrs. F.)

P.S. My husband doesn't frequent this site, but he is on week 6 right now. He has a lot of weight to lose and he went out last week and did the 20 minute run. He actually went longer than 20 minutes. He did the whole 2 miles. He did it by going slow and he felt awesome afterward.

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    64. Nov 4, 2009 12:03 PM (in response to aprillilly)

Aprillily-

I just finished week 6 yesterday, and completed the dreaded W5D3 last week, so it's still clear in my mind.  I felt exactly the same way as you are feeling now; I was even losing sleep over it the night before I planned to run.  I was nervous about everything from "what am I gonna wear" to "is this going to hurt me", so  I made a plan of the route I was going to run (I run in my neighborhood), when I was going to run, what I was going to wear, and what I was going to listen to, I just went out and started.  I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I did it.  I ran pretty slow, which I do for self preservation, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I actually felt pretty good, relatively speaking of course.  I think that if you keep a manageble pace for you, that you can do it. I also carried a bottle of water with me, which I usually don't do, because breathing the cooler air for that long was bothering my throat and the water was definitely a help.  You will probably end of surprising yourself.  Let us know how it goes.

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • abfritz Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    65. Nov 4, 2009 12:12 PM (in response to mngreeneyes)

mngreeneyes-

I'm not a medical expert, so take any of this with a grain of salt and follow your doctor's orders, but I found these stretches helpful for heel pain:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_achilles_rex.htm

I hear that achilles injuries can be really rough. Hope you're feeling better!

Sep 25, 2009
    66. Nov 4, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to abfritz)

abfritz-

Thanks so much for the achilles rehab info.  They look very helpful.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

• AnthonyJTa Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 24, 2009
    67. Nov 4, 2009 12:43 PM (in response to mngreeneyes)

You can do it! Repeat certain weeks if you don't feel comfortable moving onto the next weeks workouts. The going got tough for me at one point, so I hit my local Barnes & Noble for running books to inspire, and motivate... I know some Ultramarthon-fans aren't too keen on him, but check out books by Dean Karnazes. I personally think the man is incredible. He ran 50 marathons, in 50 states, in 50 days... in efforts to target childhood obesity, and get kids off the couch. I figured "If he can do that, I can put in a 30 minute workout." - he's a very inspiring individual who didn't start running again until his 30th birthday. One of my favorite lines from his book hangs in my work cubicle, and over my desk at home...

"Run when you can, Walk when you have to, crawl if you must - Just never give up...."

....gives me chills everytime I read it.

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    68. Nov 4, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello everyone, I just joined this community today and I'm very happy to see this thread.

I'm applaud all of you on your goals! I started out around 260lbs and I was so embarassed to try to start running until I had lost 23-30 pounds. I wish there were

more heavier runners around here. But I have a good running community and everyone is supportive and I'm happy to be out there looking like the "unrunner".

I'd like to ask all of you what type of gear you like to wear including running shoes. I had a hard time finding good tech gear to find that I could fit in/be comfortable in.

New Balance makes womens sizes in XXL which has been great although I just had to return a pair of pants that I ordered for the XL, yay. It's pricey but I've never regretted a purchase.

I'm also a huge fan of the NB 769, cushion/stability shoe - I love them!

Anyone else find any good tech gear? My husband is a tall, larger guy and I'd love to be able to find him some decent gear.

Naomi

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    69. Nov 4, 2009 2:07 PM (in response to ChubbyRunrGrl)

Welcome, Naomi!

I just joined here a few weeks ago and have found everyone to be friendly and extremely supportive...glad you could join us!

I'm a label-sucker, so nearly all of my running shirts are Under Armour (also because I love the fit of them more than some other brands)...all of my shorts are whatever they had a TJ Maxx that looked comfortable. I do have some cheap long-sleeved wicking shirts that I wear when it's chilly...I also always wear my Nashville Predators hat...not running gear, and it's kind of really gross with sweat stains that have accumulated over time and survived washings. And I always wear compression shorts. I guess when it gets colder, I'll look into some tights, but I can generally wear shorts down into the 30s.

3 alternating pairs of shoes: Vibram FiveFingers KSO, Puma Sierra Trail II and Puma H Street (which I've moved into semi-retirement due to weird wear on the sole).

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    70. Nov 4, 2009 2:13 PM (in response to Smashville)

Smash - you run in your Vibrams? That's hard core!

I love the look of trail/racing but for right now I think I need major support of a stability shoe.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    71. Nov 4, 2009 2:18 PM (in response to ChubbyRunrGrl)

First a shoutout to AFMR, if he is listening: HOW DID YOU KEEP THIS A SECRET? I want to shout from the rooftops how great I feel from the inside out after W3D1 -- this is INCREDIBLE! MAGNIFICENT! It's all i could do to come here instead of going to Facebook and proclaiming: I am becoming a runner! (really don't want to discuss it with potential naysayers, just want to shout it!)

CRG, I have the New Balance 769s, too. I've worn NBs for years, though, in walking shoes before these in running variety. I have had difficulty finding XXL workout clothes, which makes you think No Wonder larger people don't like to exercise, huh? When you're wearing cotton and/or shorts that rub, you've got chafing and soaking wet uncomfortable shirts and all sorts of ill-fitting hazards that make you wanna chuck it all and say this sux. Wicking exercise gear makes all the difference in the world to me.

Socks: I'm a Thorlo's girl from way back. I do have some Injijis. I've worn other Coolmax socks. But I prefer the Thorlo's, though some people find them too thick. Been wearing them 10 or 15 years for walking and dancing.

I'm gonna check out some gear sites for another pair of knee-length pants, but I think I'm ready to buy an XL soon, too, CRG.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

Sep 25, 2009
    72. Nov 4, 2009 2:47 PM (in response to AnthonyJTa)

Anthony--

I love the quote.  I need to post it in my cube too.  I am a big fan (pun intended) of John "Penguin" Bingham for inspiration.  He was in his late 40s or early 50s before he started running.  He has written for Runner's World, I believe.  He also would be looked down on by the Ultra people, I suppose, but for an "adult onset athlete" (his terminology) like me he's inspirational.  He wrote The Courage to Start, No need for Speed, Marathoning for Mortals, and Running for Mortals.  Today is my night class day so no workout tonight, but I am inspired to get out there tomorrow.

pam

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    73. Nov 4, 2009 3:20 PM (in response to Smashville)

smashville - I remember thinking the same thing about walk then cooldown when I did week 3. This is the only week it happens. Each week, the minutes that we are moving (walking and running) is increasing - except for week3 -  where our minutes actually decreased so the last walk adds a few more minutes. The warm up and the cool down are always 5 minutes each so that's the only reason I can think not to make it an 8 minute cooldown. Other than that, the walk parts should be a bit more brisk than the cooldown.

I'm sure my answer was just as convoluted as the question. lol

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    74. Nov 4, 2009 3:27 PM (in response to ChubbyRunrGrl)

Naomi- Welcome to the group. We appreciate all your info. You've got some really great times on your races.  You are doing what I'm trying to do.  I started at 265#, down to ~240# with lots more to go.  I'm still working on wearing Men's sizes - just moved from XXL to XL T-shirts.  A long way to get to girlie clothes.

Anthony- What a great story - and congrats on your wedding, and finishing C25K! It sounds like running has done great things for you (including wt loss), and that you have many plans for your running future. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Smashville and Fluffy-  Good luck on your 5K's this weekend.

Ovenfried- You are doing so great!  Makes you feel like dancing when you get into the gro-o-o-ove!

Did a full round of cross-training today: cardio circuit training (w bike), elliptical, then swimming.  Going to do W9D3 tomorrow AM before flying to California to see my mom for a week.  I'll do running and swimming while there, and maybe try to start the "pushups".  I may be out of touch for a while. Good luck to all.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...