Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22446 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 8:34 AM by upwardbound RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Nov 5, 2009 8:16 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 2nd-Nov 8th

Turtle:  Congrats on finishing your first 25 (30) min run.  Feels great, don't it? I miss the walks too, but there is something about setting your mind that you are just going to go a certain time (or distance), and then let your mind go free and wander around.  Only thing to worry about is maybe keeping up your pace, or doing occasional speedwork.  For Q1, I got a little keyholder that attaches thru my center laces - I have a big key with a remote lob on it that just fits. So will a hotel card key or ID.

NCGirl: Your times are great! I have a long way to go to get to your current weight, but its heartwarming to know that I might get my times down so low once the weight is off.

BrandyJoe:  If you want to know more about C25K, you can visit www.c25k.com, or go to www.coolrunnings.com and find out more about the program there.  It is more about getting walkers/never runners up to running 30 mins, or three miles.  Most people do it by time, and may or may not end up with the distances listed because most don't run at the 10 min/mi pace that it quotes.

Well, I DID IT!  I completed W9D3 today at the gym.  Actually, I ran 3.1 mi in 50:24 (best time), then finished off by completing 4 miles total in 65 mins!  Yee-Haa!  And- I feel great, though I did get a new blister because my sock wasn't setting right.  Being in the C25K program was sort of like a warm blanket enveloping me, because I knew what to expect each week.  But now, like AFMR, I have a bit of emptyness and need to continue to a new program.  Well, got to fly (literally)! See Ya!

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    92. Nov 5, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine, congratulations!!!!! Yesterday (day 1 of week 3) was the day that I started to see how it is possible to get to where you are now, graduating. The build-up of ability is rapid!

Keys and ID: I have something called an Amphipod. It's a pouch to clip inside your shorts/pants and your waist band. I actually use it every day -- carry my driver's license and YMCA card in it, and then I don't forget my license like I used to when going to the Y. Plus they don't like us leaving bags sitting around in the gym and so I carry as little as possible.

Also I try to buy clothing that has zippers in it whenever I can remember to look for them.

I've heard of things you can attach to your shoelaces that hold keys.

And ankle socks with little pouches.

I also have emergency contact info on a thing called a SmartID. http://www.smartidtag.com/ I had first seen them at Team in Training. Then I had some ordered for a conference. Their Web site is very clunky and old-fashioned, but I really like the product.

I got the Amphipod from a conference, too. (I work in a health field.)

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• NCgirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    93. Nov 5, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to babeinthewoods)

Yes NCgirl, I use to be a good runner in high school but was drafted soon after graduation and sent to viet nam and was wounded....wasnt able to run much after that cept when i was 29-30 I did some running but then developed cronic arthritis and spinal stenosis....These two condition prevented me from doing to much exercise and no running or jogging...I was able this year to start running again after an amazing thing happen which is another story. I will continue running 4 miles 3 days a week here in nc until it gets too cole then we will head down to flordia for the winter and I plan on increasing my distance as the weight goes down, God willing. thx,,,Gil

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    95. Nov 5, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Thanks, Irish. I didn't even know that was the brand name for a whole line of products.

The one I have is this:

http://www.amphipod.com/080/080.html

apparently called a Micropack Landsport. Huh, learn something new every day.

Edited to add, here's a review:

"From the 'HOW DID WE EVER LIVE WITHOUT THIS?' Department... There are a number of items on the market today designed to carry your essentials on the run. (like that handy little pocket on the inside of your running shorts. Yeah, right.) We've tried many, but none have impressed us like this little number. The Amphipod Micropack has become a permanent part of our running wardrobe. It's small. But not so small that you have to cut your credit card or driver's license in half to fit it in the pouch. As a matter of fact, you can carry several cards or IDs with room to spare. Room for things like sunglasses, keys, gels, cash, business cards, chapstick, eyedrops, your Metrocard. It attaches to your waistband. No straps. No velcro through the laces. No nonsense. Just snap the stainless steel clamp onto your waistband and off you go. No bouncing, either. It's made of neoprene. Not plastic. Not nylon. Not a zip-top baggie. This stuff is durable, sleek and looks nice." --- New York Runner Magazine

Message was edited by: DanceWalkRunPenguin

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    96. Nov 5, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Good morning all.

So many great accomplishments today.  Way to go everyone.

So, I have a good pair of running shoes, but no good running clothes and am thinking of asking for some for Christmas.  I need some outdoor running clothes so that I don't have to only run on the treadmill this winter.  I live in Minnesota so this one is imperative.  Let's make my Christmas list!  I need size XXL so suggestions on where to get the clothes at reasonable prices much appreciated!

Thoughts?

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• AnthonyJTa Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 24, 2009
    97. Nov 5, 2009 9:38 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

...I personally have read that running downhill is more strenious on the body (the legs at least). So there's no shame in that...

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    98. Nov 5, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Last evening was my first post-C25K run, after taking one day off (continuing our pattern of M, W, F runs).  Unfortunately, it was miserable.  I don't know if part of it was still from being sick over the weekend/early this week, my studies-induced lack of sleep, or the fact that my legs had not yet recovered from last Friday, but I only finished a mile.  After that point, I turned around and mentally beat myself into running a bit more, but then I had an explosion of burning pain on my right shin and I just gave up.  I limed and grumbled back to the car.  I have a 5k (the Chaska, Minnesota Turkey Trot) in nine days, and I'm going to be useless if I can't get my legs back.

I do feel a bit better today for having tried and accomplished something, but I'm still in a post C25K rut.  I was hoping to start the 100 Push-ups challenge this week, but Mrs. F wanted to wait until after the 5k.  My stress level is currently on overload, and miss having the structured runs in front of me.  Yes, I need to get on another running program (we've been looking at one-hour-runner, and finally found a version of the plan that was time-based and not heart-rate based), but that will also need to wait until after the C25K program.

I'm pretty down and angry with myself most of all.

It's cool to see so many new people on the thread.  Don't let me bum you out.  The C25K program was great, really! (I'm not kidding) I'm just in a bit of a funk after finishing it last week.  Ugh! Too much stuff going on in life right now.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• AnthonyJTa Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 24, 2009
    99. Nov 5, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Try not to get down on yourself.... we will all experience bad days, whether it being dieting, exercise, work in general. You did your best. Period. Just think of it this way, how many millions of people decided to 'park it' in front of the couch while you went for a run- not because it was part of the C25K, but because you wanted to. It's all about moving forward!

Like I mentioned before, I finished C25K the day before I got married.... early that morning, I intended to take the day off from running. I decided to dig out my gear from the car (already packed for the honeymoon) and go for a run... my brother/best man asked "why?"... my reponse was "because I can.." and enjoyed a 4 mile run with 2 of my uncles that were in town for the wedding that I hadn't seen in at least 10 years. It wasn't a race, I didn't get a medal or t-shirt, but it was easily my most memorable running experience to date.

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    100. Nov 5, 2009 10:57 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

AFMR-  It is miserable to be injured, especially after all the hard work you have put in to get where you are.  I remember being so bummed when I pulled my achilles and stopped running.  The running was such an accomplishment for me that the injury made me feel pretty worthless.  Take care of yourself, but don't give up.  I did and now I am starting over again, but about 50 pounds heavier than before.  I know your run is only a few days away, but maybe take a few days to walk instead to keep your momentum, but still rest your leg.

I wish you the best.  You are an inspiration.

pam

PS.  I'm just up the road from you in St. Paul. 

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    101. Nov 5, 2009 10:58 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

I'm on a short break between classes, so there'll be more of a reply later, but I just wanted to pass on the link for the one hour program I'm using (it's time-based, rather than distance or heart rate): http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

I had gotten mp3 files of just the voice cues for the C25k podcasts (so you can add any music you want to them) and I plan to sort of chop those up to build new playlists with voice cues for my upcoming longer runs (I have GarageBand on my computer but I know there are other audio editors out there).

I hope today is a bit less stressful for you. I know how tough it can be to balance work, school, and a life (not to mention a work out plan!)

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    102. Nov 5, 2009 10:58 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Good Morning, everyone. Wow, I'm impressed at how much activity there is here, there's no way I'll catch up very quickly! It doesn't help that this site runs slowly on my computer here at work when I get little breaks to post! All of you are so inspiring, so glad to see you guys! I always feel like the heaviest runner around. It took me a long time to be able to run through my neighborhood and down busy streets without feeling embarassed. But a friend said to me once when I was starting out earlier this year, what do you think when you see ANYone running, regardless of size? And I said - that WOW, they are totally awesome. I enjoy the stares...they prob didn't think I had it in me

I can't seem to get running inside. I'm too cold to run outside...and I don't quite have the proper gear yet...and the running path downtown here is not one that I feel really comfortable doing alone because the path runs along the river, through some trees and through a marina - pretty isolated. So I'm resorted to inside stuff during the week. I typically do 65 minutes on the elliptical (was about 6.7mi today) and then a little running. Today was 2 miles on the indoor track.  I have a running partner who I run 3-4mi with on weekends outside, then every other Wednesday or so I do a 4-mile hilly loop. It's hard because I do much better running with someone...but there aren't many people at my same pace, and I don't want my friends to slow way down just for me.

I'm nervous about this Thanksgiving day 5k - the last (and first) 5k I did was in August and I finished at a little over 34 minutes, but it was terrible. I stopped 3 times and normally on a run I don't have to stop any more. It's being alone - I'm not used to it, so when things get a little tough, I'm wanting to stop. Also, it doesn't help that I live in Illinois and most of the races I've run so far have a part of it where I'm running alongside a corn field. And that is SO boring.

Jasmine:

Thanks for your reply. I started with a couple men's XXL shirts too. It sucks that I am rather short and so they are all so long on me and so they would cling to my butt.

I ordered the New Balance Fitness Pant (nbwebexpress.com) in xxl (it also comes in petite and tall!) and it was larger than any of their XXL's have ever been...maybe you should check it out? It's one of those types of pants that doesn't have a real waistband, just a wide piece of fabric and they're very relaxed- might work for you. I love their wicking materials. New Balance also carries longer women's running short made of the wicking material. I want to wear shorts but they were always too short and would ride up, and men's shorts are just engineered differently lol. NB has 10 inch and 12 inch shorts with wicking fabric. I ran in some today. They are smooth and don't ride up or bind and they have no true waistband. You will achieve your goals! I lost most of the 60lbs I've lost so far before I started running...I was doing elliptical 5-6 times per week. This past spring I started running and training for a race and so I only ran...so I wasn't burning as many calories by just running. So a couple weeks ago I started up again doing all the elliptical so I can lose the rest. I figure when I get to my goal weight around 155, I can maintain by running 3-4 times per week and signing up for races.

Go Irish:

the above may help you too. I find that when I feel like I look better, my clothes fit well or have on a coordinated outfit, I perform better because I'm not so self-concsious, so I've shelled out some bucks on performance gear but it's so worth it. I really like my NB running skirt - that's been so great since I can't find shorts and it's so nice to have a breeze down there when I run. I was just in Wal Mart and Target and they have some size XXL's - supposedly a 20 but they are always either too tight (and I wear size 16W) or way too long.

I'm so proud of all of you for doing C25k! I couldn't do it...I didn't like the regimented, pre-set workouts. I just started by jogging on the treadmill until I could go for 15 mins. My gym has a 1/8mi track. I'd start by doing 2 laps, 3 laps, etc...once I could do 1 mile inside, then I started a 10 week training for an annual 4-mile race here...and now I'm just trying to keep running 3-4 miles 3-4 times per week. I'd like to make 5 miles my "regular" run.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    103. Nov 5, 2009 11:49 AM (in response to babeinthewoods)

bitw, that actually makes perfect sense. They want to keep you moving for the full 30.

Of course, I get so far out that I end up spending about 30 minutes walking back every time anyway...

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...