Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2938 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2010 11:56 AM by mattyalou
frank12271 Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2009 6:27 AM

Galloway Half Marathon Run-Walk-Run ratios question

Hello all,

I finfshed reading Galloway's "Half Marathon, You Can Do It" last night and I have a question for those of you who have had so much success with this program.  My question is about the ratios, in the chart on page 31 Galloway suggests the following example:

Pace per mile - 9:30

Run amount - 4 minutes

Walk amount - 1 minute

That's all fine and dandy, but at what speed am I supposed to run and/or walk?  Obviously I will have to run faster than a 9:30 mile for four minutes if I am going to walk for a minute and average it out to a 9:30.  Right??  What speed should I walk??  He says that the walk should not be a power walk or a big stride walk.  But, at what speed?

I know there are a lot of people who have used this method and been very successful with it, please help?

Thanks,

Frank

• CJ_Cross_ Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 12, 2008

Hi Frank,

I've been trying to figure this all out on my own recently, as I'm doing my own modified walk run method for my marathon this Saturday.  I would say a good walking pace is somewhere around a 15:00 mile, but depends on your walking stride and I am fairly tall.  So you would cover about 1/15ths of a mile during your walk time.  I've got an excel spreadsheet I made for this, and from there, if you were trying for an overall 9:30 pace and finish at 2:05, you would want to run at an 8:50 pace, and walk approx 20 or 21 times over the course of the race.  You would cover approx 1 1/3 miles walking, and 11.7 miles running.

I hope this info was able to help you and good luck with training!

~C.J.

• ThroughTheRinger Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009

I've had problems trying to figure it out too but then I just decided that I'd walk when I felt like it for one minute at an easy pace. If I feel good I just keep running. I like to zone out a little when I run and I've found that looking at my watch all the time to see when I can start walking just makes me more aware that I AM running rather than just enjoying the scenery or drifting off in my mind to another place. I've had a hard time being very strick with the Galloway method but so far in my training I feel like it hasn't hurt me.

we put products and services through the ringer
  • CJ_Cross_ Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 12, 2008

I'm using a set distance to figure mine out.  I'm going to run four miles, then walk for two minutes.  So basically I walk every other water station, and in doing so get to really enjoy the water station.  In order for me to get a 3:30 I'll need to keep up a pace of just under 8 minutes after adding in the rest miles.  The problem with keeping on running if you feel good, is that sometimes you will pass a threshold without even knowing it.  I don't know how many times I've gone out for a great long run, only to have my knee aching at the last half mile.  Adding the walking in before I get that pain keeps it from happening at all.  Be sure that you are training using the method you plan to use while racing!!

• garyditsch Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 27, 2008

I have not followed Galloway's methods, but I have used a run walk method for several years.  Training the walk does take a little time and I've built to where I comfortably walk around a 12:30 to 13 min pace.  I disagree with his idea that it shouldn't be a power walk, in fact I like Bobby McGee's suggestions that the cadence of the walk shouldn't drop drastically.  For instance, if you are running in the 180spm range (90 each foot fall) then walking should be 130 to 140 and not below.  It's a mechanical issue, in my opinion, but there's little to no actual research in these methods - just coaches and their athletes.

I ran a couple marathons in 2008 in back to back weekends to test some strategies out, specifically trying to be fatigued going into the second marathon where I implemented a run walk pattern.  Here's the podcast I did while running that marathon (for motivation and interest sake):  http://www.endurancebasecamp.com/003-flying-pig-marathon-podcast/

Living the health, fitness and performance lifestyle!

• mattyalou Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010

Guys, I just take the pace you run (in seconds) divided into 3,600 (seconds in an hr.) to get a MPH

For example, 3,600/ 570 (9:30) = 6.315 MPH---- that's your SPEED at a 9:30 pace.

Then I take the RATIO of walk/run (4:1 in Frankie's case) and add them together.  4+1=5

Take the FIVE you just got (which, again, is the amount of minutes in the ratio--4 running, 1 walking) and multiply it by your MPH

6.315 X 5 =31.575

Now we have to ASSUME most ppl walk at about 4MPH (or a 15 minute pace, as 15 x 4MPH= 60 minutes), then we do the following to subtract the WALK pace from the OVERALL pace:

31.575 - 4.00 = 27.575 (overall pace - slower walk pace)

Finish by taking the remaining pace of 27.575 DIVIDED by the minutes you will run (4 minutes run to 1 minute walk)

27.575 / 4 = 6.89375 MPH (WE'LL USE 6.9 MPH)

That is the speed you'd need to run for 4 minutes to compensate for the 4MPH time you'll be running 1/5 (or 20%) of the time to maintain a 9:30.

You can convert the 6.9 MPH back to pace by taking  3,600/6.9.  That gives you 521 seconds, or 8:41 pace for the 4 minutes you'll be running.

RUN PACE---8:41

WALK PACE--15:00

Hope that helped.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...