Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3696 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 1:55 PM by ash131
DLBJ Rookie 5 posts since
Nov 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 5, 2009 9:30 PM

Isn't there a better way to claim results

Ok, I know that we are all here for self betterment ( <-word ??) and to train hard and improve on our PR but It's also fun and motivating to have our results posted and to be able to claim our accomplishments.  I applaud Active.com for providing that feature for us.  I have found it to be fraught with problems and many people that are frustrated with it's functionality.  I have at least 20 races that I should be able to claim but I can't because of one problem or another.  I understand that not all the reasons for not being able to claim the results are things that Active can control, but there are some that are.

Here are a list of some of the things that I have encountered:

- Not being able to claim because age doesn't match - Your chronological age on the day of the race may not coincide with your age as defined in Article III, Section 3.2, Sub Section a of the USAT Triathlon competitive rules.  Basically to USAT you are whatever age you are going to be at December 31st of that year.  Apparently when you try to claim your results this throws off the results claim function.

- Typos or name differences - This drives me crazy.  I'm a Jr so my name has a suffix of Jr.  Sometimes the race posts my results with the Jr and sometimes without.  This obviously impacts my ability to get my results.  Also my last name can be difficult to pronounce or spell and for whatever reason it has been it gets typed in wrong.  But usually I register with my USAT number so why is it so difficult to establish more than just a link to my name.

- Results that are in list format or apparently not shared with Active - Obviously if Active isn't getting this info then they can't link to results, but why not let someone enter it in.  These events are events that I paid Active a little extra for so that I could compete in so they know that I was in the race and that they can't get the results so just let me enter my own time.  I should be able to just type in my results as they appear on the printout from the race results, who really cares if someone might jack up their own race info.

Bottom line here is... this is not bank account information or any other kind of sensitive data so why all the checking and verification.  If I'm vain enough to go out and claim someone else's results then that's my own problem.  Also, if I go in to claim a result and someone else has already claimed it then I'll send a message, flag it, or just allow me to claim it.  It really doesn't matter to my if someone else wants my race time (actually I might be flattered that someone would do that, a little surprised too).  I just want to be able to have my race results listed on my Active profile.

BTW, this is the link to the page that tells you how to claim your results:

http://community.active.com/docs/DOC-1947

• SlowBarney Amateur 36 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    1. Nov 6, 2009 4:47 PM (in response to DLBJ)
    Re: Isn't there a better way to claim results

Agree, well said.

• ck1vw Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    2. Apr 13, 2010 7:54 PM (in response to SlowBarney)

This is THE most frustrating thing about Active.  I like using my claimed results to see my improvement (or lackthereof) over the years in certain races.  If we could manually put our times in so we can track all of our events, I'd love Active forever!!

• Iron Dawg Pro 111 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007
    3. Apr 14, 2010 7:28 AM (in response to DLBJ)

This is very frustrating and it is helpful to keep your results and see how you are progressing.  I made my own EXCEL spreadsheet and found it is the best way to do this.  In addition to the different Triathlon distances I added road races and track those in the cooresponding area along with the Triathlons.   So, for example I can see my 10K times along with my Olympic Triathalon times and compare how big a difference there is.  I know this doesn't help with the "claimed results" here on Active but it really isn't Active's fault if the race director doesn't supply them with a format that will be able to import the individual's times.  The answer is really for Active to be able for members to create a "race result" in the "claimed results" area so that if you can't claim a particular race result you can create it.  I've attached the sheet I created and use in case it helps anyone.

Attachments:

Iron Dawg

Favorite quote:

"If you're not gettting better you're getting worse."

• bhambrick1 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Apr 14, 2010 9:08 AM (in response to Iron Dawg)

I use Athlinks.com to track my results.  They figured out a way to use the feed given by the race director to claim and store results.

I love Active, over all the best at what they do.  But they havent figured this one out yet.

• Hollandkt Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 22, 2011
    5. Feb 1, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to DLBJ)

Agreed,

I am a new user but I think after experiencing the frustration of this website it will only be used for registrations. I prefer mapmyrun.com for the tracking and calendar functions. Active and athlinks both have serious issues with claiming results and posting results. Thumbs down, and sad face.

• HM 8/1/11Red Nose, Columbus, GA 1:54:39
    • HM 22/1/11 Auburn Classic, Auburn, AL 1:48:50
    • FM 30/1/11 Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, GA 4:09:39
    • 10K 5/2/11 Country"s BBQ Columbus, GA 0:49:37
    • FM 5/3/11 Snickers Marathon Albany, GA 4:10:34
    • FM 20/3/11 Publix Marathon Atlanta, GA 4:38:20
    • 10K 26/3/11 Red, White, and Blue Veteran's run Columbus, GA 0:54:00 (GPS was 6.95 miles)
    • 10K 9/4/11 Big Dog Trail Run Columbus, GA 1:01:44
  • ash131 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    6. Mar 5, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to DLBJ)
    Isn't there a better way to claim results

The only thing I can claim is a race I did 4 years ago! I just joined because sometimes it's cheaper and more convenient to register for races, but this is ridiculous.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...