Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11517 Views 104 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 3:59 PM by Ogr44 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Nov 10, 2009 6:39 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200+ Nov 9th-Nov 15th

Sounds like everyone has been busy.

Mr and Mrs. F- Good luck on the race Saturday.  Mr. F. - i know its frustrating to not be able to run when you want to, but think of it as forced rest for your aches and pains!  You'll rock it on Saturday!

GoRunIrish- Good luck on your next race too.  Perhaps you can pick another runner in the race who looks about your speed or just a bit faster and "partner" with him or her.  You could just use that person as a pacer or make a new friend and run along side.  (I am one of those crazy people that just talks to anyone, but if you're not, you could just make sure that the other person is always in your sights!)

Potato-I have bunny-sat and I have lobster-sat, but chicken sitting sounds like chores!  Have a good run!

I walked again last night for 60 minutes.  My shins were bothering me so I had to go a bit slower than usual.  Hoping that's not going to become a problem.  I still made almost 3 miles in 60 minutes.  Next week I hope to start my walk/running.  My next workout day is Thursday.  Perhaps the shins will be happier by then! 

Happy Tuesday everyone!

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    17. Nov 10, 2009 7:45 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hi all!

Thanks for the info. on the keyholder.  My husband used it on our 5K on Sunday and it did the trick!  Well like I said I ran a 5K on Sunday, and the weather was beautiful here in Long Island, NY (in the high 50's, which is generally unheard of in the Northeast).  I took the opportunity to make this my W7D2 run using my app on my itouch, and ran/turtled the majority of the course.  I ran for almost 40 minutes, which is great, but I think that I overdid it, and my body let me know it!  I was so stiff and actually needed a nap when I got home.  And, which seems to be the rule rather than the exception these days, the 5K course was too long.  I came in at 48:11 which annoyed me because I want to improve my time, and my 5K last time was 47:00.  Once we realized the course was 3.25 miles, I prorated my time, which was 46.27; much better, I say!

This morning I ran W7D3, and kept it to a 27 minute run.  They were working on a local railroad crossing in my neighborhood, and there were at least 20 guys working/standing around, that I had to run through (UGH!).  Of course I had to pick up the pace a little: 1.  to get through there as fast as possible, and 2.  to look good doing it  .  Thankfully there is 56 lbs less of me than there was 6 months ago to look at.  All in all, I ran almost 2 miles in 27 minutes (14.4 min).

I think it's cool that people from all over the US are on this board.  I love reading everyone's stories and triumphs; except of course those of you who are in pain or getting sick-I hope you all feel better because your experiences keep all of us interested and keep us going.  Everybody's doing so well, it's really awesome. And to the newbies that are recently starting the C25K, and that are new to running-we've all been there at one time or another, so if you have any questions or need a pick me up, this is the place to go.  

Take care everyone!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    18. Nov 10, 2009 9:25 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

My goal for tonight:

Because we ran 1.7 miles the other night in 25 minutes, I'd like to stretch the legs for at least 1.8 miles. We can do it. We just have to keep moving.

W7D2 tonight!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• amandalynn636 Expert 57 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    20. Nov 10, 2009 5:10 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello All! I feel like I have been so out of touch. I have actually been working at work( what am I thinking??) so I haven't had much time to log on & read the post. Then I actually tried to log in last week & I kept getting an error message.

I began  W7 today. I can't believe I have come this far! I am still amazed! I switched it up a little though. I had been running at the reservoir ,which is a one mile loop, because the high school football team practices at the HS track However since the football season is over we switched to the track because it is SO much softer than the pavement at the reservoir & since the time change it gets darker so much earlier & is safer at the track. Also at the beginning of this week we decided to switch it to distance instead of time. At the end of week 5 when we had to run for 20 mins straight I literally thought I was going to die! That was at the reservoir, I am sure that has nothing to do with it but as soon as the 20 mins were up we stopped. I expected the same thing at the end of week 6 but was pleasantly surprised. When the 25 mins were up we were in the middle of a lap & instead of stopping we finished the lap for 1.75 miles. Technically we are supposed to be doing 2.50 miles this week but we are not quite there, we did add a lap for 2 miles! I was ecstatic! It took us a little over 30 mins but I don't care, I can't believe I ran 2 miles. Our plan is to try to add a lap each run day to get up to 3 miles that way we have a few days to do that 3 mile run before the Turkey Trot. I am still amazed that I am out there running. I am a very emotional person anyway so for each milestone I reach with this program it makes me want to cry tears of joy! I couldn't do it without C25K or all of you guys! Listen to me I sound like I won an Olympic medal. I better wait until I make sure I finish the 5K. Oh I also wanted to share the saying my running partner thought up to put on shirts for the 5K. It is " From No Way To 5 K" because 8 weeks ago there would have been no stinking way!

O.k. enough yapping, Biggest Loser is on. Hope you guys have a wonderful night!!

Began:C25K September 17,2009

Finished:C25K November 26, 2009

First 5k- November 26, 2009 Turkey Trot(45:24)

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    21. Nov 10, 2009 10:16 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

A couple of weeks ago, as we were finishing up our C25K training, Mrs. F and I got into a discussion about our expectations about the race.  I was talking through possible times, given how fast I had been running up until that point.  She said, "At least you don't need to worry about how you place."

"Sure I do," I replied. "I don't want to finish last, and I don't want to be first on an ambulance!"

That gave her a good laugh.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    22. Nov 11, 2009 6:46 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

I finished W4D1 last night.

Holy geez...nothing like doubling the amount of running...I went in telling myself I would push as far as I could...but at the same time, I didn't think it was going to happen.

Little did I know, the second 5 minute run was the easiest one. In fact, in order to hit the crosswalk at the end of the street, I ran an extra 1:30...which means I ran 17:30 in 22 minutes...considering that I had trouble with 1 minute runs on W1D1, I've come pretty far.

I also don't feel that the big 20 minute Week 5 run is as daunting as it was at the beginning...or even last week. I feel like finishing the first W4 workout...I really accomplished something.

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• dadewitt Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 28, 2009
    23. Nov 11, 2009 8:10 AM (in response to Smashville)

Hey all. I just had a quick question. I just completed W2D2 this morning and it went a lot better then the last four runs but I think that is because I slowed down my pace drastically because I was having trouble breathing. After this run I didn't have any breathing problems with each of the intervals and I did not get side stitches as I had with the previous runs. My questions is this: How do I know how much when to increase my running speed and how do I know how much to increase it by. I really don't like doing such a slow jog but I feel as though it is necessary right now because of the breathing.

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    24. Nov 11, 2009 8:48 AM (in response to dadewitt)

Quick question for the 200+ folks here......

Are you able to take off weight with just running and not nessicarily adjusting your diet?

I don't eat horribly bad meals, calorie intake is a bit more than what I would do if I were dieting, but I'm seeing no change on the scale although my running is becoming better and better. I even ran for a hour the other morning and was happy I could accomplish this (knowing 5 months ago I could run at most for a minute) I know everyone is different and some folks can drop a few pounds without much adjustment, just wanted to check in here to see what your results may be.

Thanks!

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    25. Nov 11, 2009 8:49 AM (in response to dadewitt)

Hi dadewitt! Now, none of us are experts, but I can at least give you some advice from what I experienced going through C25k...There's no such thing as a right pace for running, but there IS a right pace for your body/fitness level/exertion. In my experience, I never consciously tried to speed up my average pace. I just followed the pace set by (or some might say demanded by!) my breathing and my body and as the week's passed, I noticed that pace ever so slightly increasing on it's own...maybe I hit a fencepost a few seconds earlier in my run than before or was a little closer to home when I finished the return leg. As frustrating as it can be and as slow as you feel you're going, just trust your body. Follow the pace it sets and as you get stronger and fitter, that pace will naturally increase on its own. Hope that helps!

Update on my run later tonight, I'm running late for work! I hope everyone has a great day!

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    26. Nov 11, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to moviechic3)

I've stopped eating fast food and soda as much as possible -- I might (MIGHT) have a soda once a week, but usually not. We're cooking meals at home, and in 7 weeks, I've lost about 10-12 pounds. But that's not much. I see the differences in how my clothes fit, that's for sure. I'm wearing jeans I wasn't able to for the past 8 months, so that's a huge win for me.

I'm not counting calories, is what I'm saying. I'm eating breakfast every day (even if it's just cereal or a nutri-grain bar) and not eating too much at every meal. That's the best I can do, I think.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• amandalynn636 Expert 57 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    27. Nov 11, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to dadewitt)

Hey Dadewitt~ I totally agree with Potato. You just have to listen to your own body & do what is best for you & what you are comfortable with. I know with me when my  running partner & I ran faster than our bodies wanted us to we struggled just to finish the run so we slowed WAY down. Now we run at a turtle's pace, a little more than a 15mm, & I am okay with that. Right now I am working on getting through the program & getting my distance down & then I will work on speed but you may be the opposite. It is entirely up to you.

Began:C25K September 17,2009

Finished:C25K November 26, 2009

First 5k- November 26, 2009 Turkey Trot(45:24)

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    28. Nov 11, 2009 9:34 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hi everyone!  I'm just popping into a Panera Bread in Lancaster before I head to LAX to fly home.  Couldn't wait to read the posts.

I've been running and swimming while on my visit.  Yesterday I swam and did a very long walk.  However, I made the mistake of trying to do sprints up very short, steep "hills" at the park, and now my rear ankles are bugging me- tendonitis??  So I did a short, slow run today before packing up. Its been great running when its 45-52 deg, w low humidity & calm (vs Florida 2 wks ago).

I've had shin splints before, always after trying to head out too fast for too long, so take it easy if you start feeling it.  I've been very careful in my training this fall to avoid that problem, so I may not be running at my fastest.

amanda- Weeks 7, 8 and 9 are great weeks to start stretching your runs and converting from time to distance.  Just set up you minimum run as the time listed, and then if you still are feeling good - just keep on going, or double back or whatever, and stretch that run!  That's how I converted, though it still takes me 50+ minutes to finish 3 miles.

Oh- I've got to go fly...... See 'ya!

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• darunningman09 Amateur 33 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    29. Nov 11, 2009 10:02 AM (in response to moviechic3)

moviechic:

It really depends on your diet!  As it works... if you burn more than you eat you lose weight!  A 200lbs running at 5mph burns somewhere about 700+/- calories and hour. (based on online calculators)  You do that 5 days a week, and that a 1lbs of weight loss!

I was dieting and running.... I was skinning 1000 calories a day off my needed amount shooting for 2lbs a week loss.  Then adding in running on top of that!  I stopped losing weight!  So now I'm shaving 1000 calories off daily, and eating extra to make up for my runs.  Weight has started to decrease again!  I started at 310 in March and down to 214 presently.

Can you lose weight running without a "diet"?  Yes, but the diet cant be too much or too unhealthy.  If your not in a big hurry to drop weight... I was told you should eat what you need to maintain, and then eat 50% of what you lose exercising.  Its just what your goals are!  I love running days... I love the extra meal I can have on those days!!

--Mike

C25K Completed!

GW28K Completed!

Starting Weight: 310 lbs

Current Weight: 197 lbs

Total Weight Lost: 113 lbs

-------------

10/14/2009 - Run for Hope 5k - 29:04.8 *PR

2/14/2010 - Mercedes Half Marathon - 2:07:49 *PR

6/12/2010 - Renaissance at Colony Park Half Marathon

1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This