Skip navigation

1510 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2009 8:44 AM by PersianP
Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
Oct 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2009 11:11 AM

RR Fort Worth Marathon, November 8

It is a relatively small race with just a few hundred runners total.  Results aren’t posted yet.  We picked up our packets and chips on race morning then I went back to the car to stay off my feet for an hour.  The start line was about 50 feet from where we parked.

The marathon started at 7:30AM.  (Early runners started at about 6:45AM)  Parvaneh took off with the leaders while I just hung back and relaxed.  I am contemplating our race in two weeks and wanted to work on proper pacing.    Parvaneh is planning to run easy next week since she is pacing her daughter in her first marathon at San Antonio so Parvaneh went all out yesterday.

Temperature was about 50ish at the start, overcast and humid.  Fortunately it never rained and the overcast stayed throughout the race as temps moved toward the 70s.  The course is out and back, basically flat, and runs along the Trinity River Trail except for a small section in a subdivision.  There was one major course deviation due to flooding that caused us to spend a little extra time along roads and also included a slight hill.  But it wasn’t bad.  Most of the trail is cement which is harder on the legs, but there were places where we could run to the side on aggregate or grass.

No major problems.  Water stations were about every 1.2 miles or so and had cytomax and generally full strength Gatorade and snacks.  I wish race directors would explain to volunteers to not put their fingers in the cups.  I really don’t want to drink whatever is living beneath their finger nails.

The race included a 20 miler and a half.  Those races started about an hour after the marathon, thankfully so the trail wasn’t overly crowded.

I paced in the 9 minute range for the first 3rd then sped up slightly through 16.  After that I tried to maintain a 9-10 minute pace.  My half time was sub 1:58.  Parvaneh was 1:49.

I finished strong, running the last mile in 8:30.  I avoided sprinting to the finish.  I was 8th in my age group with a 4:10.

Parvaneh finished well ahead of me with a PR of 3:40:58, first female Master award and she won a random drawing of marathon finishers of $1,000.

They had pizza, pasta and snacks at the finish.  The medal is a belt buckle.  We also received a long sleeve white cotton shirt.  They had free post race massages.

Unfortunately events took a horribly somber tone.  10 minutes or so after I finished one of the 20 milers finished and then collapsed moments later.  CPR was administered, EMTs took him to the hospital, but he didn’t survive.  I found out that his name is Lyndon Laseman, 49, from Henrietta, TX.  I think he was training for the White Rock Marathon.    My deepest condolences to his family.  May he Rest in Peace.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• ColdForged Pro 145 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    1. Nov 9, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to Stevemustangred)
    Re: RR Fort Worth Marathon, November 8

Congrats to Parvaneh on the Master award and wow, what a tough, somber finish to what sounds like a great day. I can't imagine witnessing something like that.

2009 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

2010 Shamrock Marathon Finisher

Twitter :: My running site :: My personal site

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    2. Nov 9, 2009 12:55 PM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Congrats on a great race.  4:10 is an excellent time ... well, any time is a good time, but you get the point.

Terrible news about the gentleman who perished.  He is right about my age.  Yeesh.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Nov 9, 2009 1:28 PM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Good race, Steve.  And Parvaneh did great!  The smaller races are often more fun.

That's a shame about the man who collapsed.  It's always a sad note when something like that happens.

Len

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    4. Nov 10, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to Stevemustangred)

I am very happy about my PR, I was starting to get worried not being able to run a PR this year since we only have a handful left to finish the year! The 1000 dollars grand price was a surprise! We stayed 3 hours after finish and it was worth it, since if you weren't there to claim it, the price went to someone else! I also won gift certificate for a pair of shoes for wining the masters!

It was very sad to see someone die right in front of my eyes, this is the second time I have witnessed this, first time was last year at White Rock marathon when I saw the 27 year old girl die at mile 23. I hope it is the last time too, it is not a memory anybody would want to carry.

I hope they died happy and are in a better place.

Thanks Steve for being a great running partner and encouraging me to run faster.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...