Five-Star Basketball Pre-Season Crash Course!
Maximize your talent by working hard every day – take care of your business !!
1) MOVES OFF THE DRIBBLE
Two Dribble Pullup – hard second dribble into shot, one / two step (don’t hop into shot)
Step Back – If you can’t get by him, get AWAY from him!
Dip inside shoulder and press hard off inside foot to created space
Keep shoulders forward as you prepare to shoot
* Add the Drive and Crossover off of Stepback
2) MOVES OFF THE CATCH ON THE WING
Back Pivot – turn back to passer on catch, creates space, gets you closer to basket to begin move
Rip Through – swing ball through on pivot, keep inside shoulder down (touch his ankle)
one dribble pullup or layup
Jab and Shoot – jab at him to show rip through (Sell It!)
stay low and come back halfway with shoulders forward for shot
Jab / Cross / One Dribble Stepback – jab hard , crossover step, 1 dribble stepback
3) MOVES IN THE POST
Forearm Post - make contact, post with forearm in defenders chest and open to middle of floor
1. Rip Through 2. Spin 3. Jab / Shot 4. Jab / 1 Dribble Stepback
4) LOST ART OF MOVING WITHOUT THE BALL
A. Why is it a lost art?
1. Most plays are designed to be either 1 on 1 or 2 on 2
2. Every player feels that they have to handle the ball to be involved and/or effective
3. It is too much work to move and not get the ball
B. Once you learn to move without the ball you will:
1. Understand how important movement is to offense
2. Be a better player
3. Know that a person in perpetual motion is harder to defend
4. Score more often and easier
C. In order to score you must be able to get open (WIDE OPEN)
1. U.S.- Uncontested shots
2. Traffic light for shooting based on if you are open or not
5) SHOOTING DRILLS
1. UP-THE HILL/DOWN THE HILL SHOOTING DRILL
-Coach or teammate stand at top of key w/ball use chest pass!
-Use 3 chairs, space them 4ft apart!
1. Put the 1st chair inside the 3 pt line 2 ft. from baseline
2. Mid-post extended is the 2nd chair
3. Elbow extended is the 3rd chair
(All chairs inside 3-pt line)
UP THE HILL:
-Start on the wing, sprint to baseline, touch w/outside foot and curl into chair catch-n-shoot!
-Sprint back to wing, then go back to baseline, curl into mid-post and do the same @ elbow!
CHECK OUT FIVE-STAR BASKETBALL for more instruction!