Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1020 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2009 6:21 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
DaneRunner Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2009 5:15 AM

Hamstring pain

I am having a LOT of pain when I stretch my right hamstring. It is located at the top of the leg: the origin of the muscle.

It doesn't hurt when I run, but hurts like hell when I stretch. The left leg is very flexible and the right incredibly tight to stretch.

I had no problem while cycling all summer, but started as soon as I began to run.

Any suggestions anyone? Do I stop running? Proper stretching techniques. Ice or heat?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Nov 14, 2009 6:12 AM (in response to DaneRunner)
    Re: Hamstring pain

First and most important - don't stretch it to the point of pain!  You're just doing more damage.  With mild stretching on a regular basis it will loosen.  Run as long as it doesn't hurt during or after your run.  I always debate about ice or heat.  Others may have better advice.  I would suggest ice if there is swelling, and after your run.  Heat will help loosen it if there is no swelling.

Len

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Nov 16, 2009 6:21 AM (in response to DaneRunner)
    Re: Hamstring pain

If you've been doing speedwork on a track oval or racing the typical counter-clockwise course, your right hamstring will be compromised. Gently start trigger-pointing that entire muscle (usually the powerful biceps femoris - the outside portion of the 3 hamstrings) to rub out the tight areas before you attempt the stretch. Save your stretches for the latter part of rehab, as Len suggests.

The main trigger point area for the B Femoris is in the longitudinal center as it crosses the femur bone, even though you may feel the pain at the origin (ischial tuberosity where it attaches to the pelvis). Don't press too hard against the bone or you will weaken the muscle.

Meanwhile, running clockwise loops will give the right hams a break while increasing circulation as you heal.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...