Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2615 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 2:35 PM by SMARIETTA
beajuice Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2009 8:31 AM

how good can I get at the 800m with proper training?

i'm in 9th grade. i'm a GIRL. here are my pr's:

6th grade: 2:47
7th grade: 2:52 :[
8th grade: 2:39

i go to a small school, and my time of 2:39 won ms county/beat the record, though the time was not that outstanding. BUT...
i've never really trained. i mean, i used to just run 1 800m everyday at practice and race speed and then go to long jump. i've never practiced in offseason, etc. but i'm going to this year.

WHAT COULD MY TIME BE WITH GOOD TRAINING?
ARE MY TIMES DECENT?
WHAT ARE YOUR TIMES?
DO YOU THINK THE 800M IS THE HARDEST RACE?
WHAT MUSCLES SHOULD I WORK ON?
WHAT TRAINING SHOULD I DO?

sorry there are so many questions, but thanks! i really need help! Dx PLEASE don't say anything intentionally rude. I've posted this on 5 other websites and everybody just tells me that I'm stupid and to leave. I REALLY need help. I didn't know there were runners out there with such sour atitudes. I thought we were all like a family. :/

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Nov 14, 2009 10:29 AM (in response to beajuice)
    Re: how good can I get at the 800m with proper training?

your long jump is probably quite helpful as it`s developing a lot of explosive power which short races need. Short races need a combination of running and strength training

Do you have a coach at your school ? someone who knows you would be the best person to help you with a training plan - obviously if you dedicated yourself to some serious training you will see improvements ( most likely significant ) - Short distance training would consist os a lot of speed work which can be tricky and can be easy to over train and injure yourself as it can be very intense.  Most people here are long distance runners so you may not get many responses

- you may want to post your question under the "Way Cool Running" as that is for HS running discussions.

Good Luck !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Atsipootes Pro 102 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    2. Nov 14, 2009 11:54 AM (in response to beajuice)

I think your time can get as best as world record in long time, but if you train a lot

Your time is pretty good and you still have a lot of time to practice. You should look for a running trainer, I think you can achieve pretty good results.

For 800m distance you still should do long runs (Snell used to run 30k every Saturday), but more concentrate on fartlek, fast sessions(100-400meters), running uphills.

800m is really a hard distance, it's very fast but at the same time and very exhausted. It's very hard to be fast all 800m. In 800m you are not sprinter, but you are not a long distance runner too, this is why it can be very hard.

I wish you the best and I hope you will achieve the best results.

By the way, womens' 800 world record is pretty old, it's even 26 years old And the time is 1.53

Good luck

I am now training for a marathon.

Feel the joy of running

http://www.you-run.com

• GretaPRat Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    3. Dec 11, 2009 12:43 PM (in response to beajuice)

Your times are good!

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I have to agree with Spicegeek.  The best advice you can get would be from a local High School track coach.  The 800 m is a hard race because its not a sprinters race, but its also not really for distance runners either.  When I was in high school, grades 9-12, I was the anchor for the 100 m, 200m and 400m and also ran the open 400m.  The girl who ran our 800's was from the distance team so I can't tell you everything she did.  Once a week we were pulled and ran together.  One week we ran a distance run which for me then was 2 miles, hers was 3 miles.  Than the next week we ran 400 m intervoles.  She was forced to stay with me for all the 400's.

Just so you know the other girl and I may have been pulled to run together for other reasons as well.  She was a true cross country runner and had several scholarships by the time she graduated.  I was a soccer player who ran track because it was a requirement for varsity soccer.  Through track season I was also on 2 very intense soccer teams so I got a lot more running in than the normal track sprinter.

So off my LIMITED knowledge on the 800 I would say first try to talk to a coach.  If there is not one available I would say a good place to start is be able to run 2-3 miles.  Not as a sprint, but for the endurance aspect.  For the speed I would do 400 m intervoles.

Good Luck!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

Back in the dark ages- the 800 was considered the shortest distance race

now however-it is the longest SPRINT

as you suspect it might well be the hardest race

i  won't speak to your times as I am more familiar with boys times- but in my limmited experience the 800 tends to be dominated by cross country kids dragged into track in the spring-and a lot of cross country training has 800  repeats worked into it

If you are still in grade schoolAND you seem to have the county record in your age group---well your potentialo high school coach is going to want to talk to you

in my experience with small,private school teams- the high school coaches also volunteer at the grade school level---CYO, Jewish League, USATF etc.-they are looking to recruit and to develope young talent-which you seem to have

your parents or your grade school coach-should introduce you to  your potential high school coach-and hopefully suitable training can be worked out for you

absolutely the very best wishes to you!

BTW- keep your grades UP- it's early yet- but there are good financial aid/scholarship packages available for college student athletes-even at DIII( small) colleges- but you have to have GOOD grades

Stephen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points