Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2239 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 15, 2010 7:53 PM by SJrunner1
beajuice Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2009 10:47 AM

how good can I get at the 800m with proper training?

i'm in 9th grade. i'm a GIRL. here are my pr's:

6th grade: 2:47
7th grade: 2:52 :[
8th grade: 2:39

i go to a small school, and my time of 2:39 won ms county/beat the record, though the time was not that outstanding. BUT...
i've never really trained. i mean, i used to just run 1 800m everyday at practice and race speed and then go to long jump. i've never practiced in offseason, etc. but i'm going to this year.

WHAT COULD MY TIME BE WITH GOOD TRAINING?
ARE MY TIMES DECENT?
WHAT ARE YOUR TIMES?
DO YOU THINK THE 800M IS THE HARDEST RACE?
WHAT MUSCLES SHOULD I WORK ON?
WHAT TRAINING SHOULD I DO?

sorry there are so many questions, but thanks! i really need help! Dx PLEASE don't say anything intentionally rude. I've posted this on 5 other websites and everybody just tells me that I'm stupid and to leave. I REALLY need help. I didn't know there were runners out there with such sour atitudes. I thought we were all like a family. :/

• SJrunner1 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010

To be totally honest, you need to focus your training on "distance" running if you want to get good at the 800. I run distance events(i.e the mile, 2 mile, 800 etc.) and my training starts off with a solid mileage base before and in the beginning of the season which is basically long slow runs. As the season progresses, my coach adds in hard tempo runs which he calls the "backbone" of our fitness and speed repeats(8 400 repeats, 7 700 repeats, 6 600s, and others) which really suck, but make you a lot faster. It's hard work. And as for your times, they are respectable especially considering the type of training you did and your age and gender.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...