Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13901 Views 143 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2009 6:52 PM by AFatManRunning 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
Sep 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2009 5:03 AM

200 lbs+ Nov 16th-Nov 22nd

Welcome back everyone to another week of inspiration and support for the hefty runner!!

If you are overweight and wanting to do something really great for YOURSELF, my cyber friend, you have arrived!!

We share stories, support and well qualified advice from people with real weight struggle and weight loss success.

So chime in, won't you? We love our die-hards and our newbies!

HAPPY RUNNING!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    2. Nov 16, 2009 6:08 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 16th-Nov 22nd

Good morning, everyone, and thanks Irish for setting up the new thread for the week!

First and foremost, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to AFMR and Mrs. F!!!!! I finally got a chance to sit down and read your blogs and I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a bit! You have a gorgeous family and everyone has reasons to be proud all around!

Welcome to all the newbies! We're glad to have you here and can't wait to follow your progress!

Donna - glad to see you back on the thread...here's hoping for a stable week from active.com! (Is that asking too much? It very well may be! )

I ran a 30-minute route today and the only time I had to break out of a run was for about 30 seconds when my shoe came untied! I am ready to tentatively announce the return of my running mojo! I was getting so down about not being able to finish a 30-minute run without walk breaks or just plain giving up, but this makes I think 3 in a row and I'm feeling good. I'm so glad to FINALLY be over that stupid flu and all the havoc it wreaked on my lungs and energy level. Ugh.

I got some long-sleeve running shirts at Target last night for when I go to my parents' over Thanksgiving for a bit (to the land of cold and snow!) and, just on a whim, threw 'em in the wash last night. Boy, was I glad I did that! It was 42 degrees when I headed out this morning, which I know isn't actually all that cold and I should know better having grown up a stone's throw from the Canadian border, but man! I've been living in the desert too long! It's thinned out my blood! I was FREEZING and it wasn't until about the 20 minute mark that I finally got warm and started sweating!

Hope everyone has a FANTASTIC week! For all those who ran 5ks this past weekend, congratulations!!! Make sure to get some quality rest, but don't lose momentum! For all those running turkey trots this upcoming week and weekend, good luck! You'll do great! Don't overtrain so that you're ready and recharged come race day! To all those, like me, who are just keeping on keeping on this week, challenge yourself and have fun with it! We're heading into holiday season, after all, lots of tempting good food and vacation time, but also lots of spending time with loved ones so remember how much energy running gives you, we're gonna need it in the next month!

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    3. Nov 16, 2009 6:26 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

After my 5K on 10/25 I had ran 3 miles just twice both in October. I have been running between 1.5 to 2.4 miles but today I went ahead and ran 3 miles. It felt great! and better time than I have been so I feel so much better. It was a beautiful day here too!

• CraftingFish Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    4. Nov 16, 2009 6:57 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

This thread makes me feel quite a bit better about myself. I'm repeating week 4 of C5K today, since I cuoldn't actually complete any of the daily runs last week by the last leg. I feel like my weight holds me back, particularly slmaming all of it down on my ankles while running. But I'm pushing through and taking my time and it's good to know I'm not alone!

Also want to add, my first 5k is only 10 days away and I'm so anxious/nervous/excited about it. I won't run the whole thing for sure, but I'll definitely make it past the finish line in a not too awful time, and I hope to have some family to greet me at the end. Yay!

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    5. Nov 16, 2009 7:22 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

I completed W4D3 last night...and learned the hard way about not eating too close to your run. I was side stitch city the whole time.

I cannot believe I'm in Week 5...I'm almost halfway done. Heck, my Active status has me as a "pro"...ha...

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    6. Nov 16, 2009 8:06 AM (in response to Smashville)

Hey Smash, I just read your blog entry and noticed that along with the side stitch you were complaining of erratic breathing. Maybe the breathing was the underlying issue with the side stitch rather than the eating? I know the few times I've gotten side stitches (they're the worst! Nothing derails a run faster!) it's been because my breathing isn't deep or steady enough. If you have that same problem again, try focusing on your breathing...make sure you take even breaths and as deep as you can manage without making yourself pass out! Really concentrate on drawing the breath in deeply and naturally with your diaphragm...the stitch should go away in a few breaths. At least, that's what works for me! Good luck! How are you liking your new non-Vibram shoes?

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

Oct 20, 2009
    7. Nov 16, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

I still think that the breathing and side stitch were related to the food...in that I ate too soon, so it kinda screwed up my routine...without getting too TMI...let's just say...there was gas involved.

As for the new shoes, I enjoyed my new Pegasuses...or is it Pegasi? No blisters, good fit and good grip. What else can you ask for?

I have scheduled my journey for Wednesday to try to return the defective Five Fingers.

• MrsFatmanrunning Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    8. Nov 16, 2009 8:37 AM (in response to Smashville)

Go Irish -- I dont think you missed anything. We purposely kept the blog vague bout the number of our family, so not to indentify us too early. We didnt know if our kids would shoulder surf our blog address. Or if someone who knew our family would spoil it. So we didnt reveal that til the end lol! Not many families have ten kids, thus makes us pretty identifiable!  We have 6 boys and 4 girls. They are aged, 16,14,almost 13,11,10,8,almost 6,4,.5 and a year.

Thanks for all the congrats! Im still pretty humbled that our journey is being used to help so many others. If it wasnt for the online support and real life support, we might have given up a long time ago.

You guys all rock. Im especially proud of my husband, he has 100 more lbs than me and he ran the entire 5k! Just getting out there and being willing to do this, is huge!

We also couldnt have done this without our teeenagers. They were willing to help hold down the fort at home, so we could workout. They rock the boat!!!

One of our sons was disapointed to learn we werent working out in a gym. He wanted to go with so he could show us how many pullups he could do.

I proved to myself , through this journey, that I can do anything I set my mind to. God gave me the grace and endurance to do it and I realized that we find time to do the things that are important. It did really help that we did this together. We are one of those sappy couples that does almost everything together -- grocery  and walmart shopping even! I love spending time with my husband -- i know shocking!

Go Go -- as my 2 yr old says anytime he sees a race photo!

Mrs. F aka MJ aka Marie Jayne

Oct 20, 2009
    9. Nov 16, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to MrsFatmanrunning)

Oh wow...I totally forgot this past weekend was the FMR/MrsFMR big reveal...I've been negligent in reading your blog over the past few days...off to read!

Sep 16, 2009
    11. Nov 16, 2009 9:28 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Actually the first 6 are 15-18 months apart, then a 3 yr gap, and the last 4 are 18-22 months apart And yes we are done!!

Its crazy but fun!  You can see why I was anxious of the details of the race. Getting the kids to childcare, how was it going to work with our eldest keeping the special needs 2 yr old, keeping thekids from seeing the registration materials, all of that jazz. We had everyone lay out clothes, shoes, socks, coats the night before. I packed diaper bags, glove/hat bags, made sure the stroller was in the van the night before.

Our thanksgiving run should be nicer, its flat for one and not everyone will go. Our eldest has already expressed a desire to stay home with the littles and watch the parade!

I say -- we are an instant party wherever we go!!

Mrs. F

• darunningman09 Amateur 33 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    12. Nov 16, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Thanks for the kudos!  Anyone that hasn't done an organized 5K!  DO IT!  It will change your way of thinking about running!

Its so much fun (fun in the sense that you might pass out and die at some point but fun anyway!)  Its great motivation to have people running behind you and in front of you!  I found a couple of people who I liked their pace and really tried to match it.  I was able to do this for about 2+ miles and I started to fade a little.. ok a lot probably.  I ran the first mile in 9:11, 2nd mile in 9:23 and the remainder was a 10:26.  I would have never kept running at this pace on a training run.  There is no motivation to push yourself like this... I was completely spent by the end!  I was amazed how quickly I recovered my breathing and heart rate, and even was able to jog to my family that was there cheering me on.  I now understand why people say its a great mearsurement of your endurance.  I have 3 weeks till my next run, and I'm going to try some programs till then that is suppose to improve my 5Ks.  Will I ever compete with the people at the front? NOPE... I was able to win my age group this time because most of the runngers in my age were doing the 10K that started at the same time.

The moral of my story is this... you never know what you are capable of doing until to try.  Throw all your excuses away (except for medical those are important!) and give it a shot.  Someone will be faster than you someone will be slower than you!

There was a young man 10-12 years old doing the 5K in a wheelchair.  This was his first race... his dad was behind him cheering and helping on those up hill parts.  You should have heard the people who lined the road and cheered for him to finish the race... Safe to say I was in tears and held my children extra close as I was cheering for this young man.  Runners know what it takes to run... they respect people that try.  I needed to see other people trying to better themselves and their health to motivate me to succeed in my goals.  I still have 30lbs to go, and things will get more and more difficult from here out... but all those handshakes and high fives I got after the race, and seeing that boy doing what he did makes me want to go run twice a day!!

I'm sure I'm a rambling mess on this post... I'm trying not to sound too much like Dr Phil, but you can do what you set your mind too.

--Mike

C25K Completed!

GW28K Completed!

Starting Weight: 310 lbs

Current Weight: 197 lbs

Total Weight Lost: 113 lbs

-------------

10/14/2009 - Run for Hope 5k - 29:04.8 *PR

2/14/2010 - Mercedes Half Marathon - 2:07:49 *PR

6/12/2010 - Renaissance at Colony Park Half Marathon

Sep 16, 2009
    13. Nov 16, 2009 10:10 AM (in response to darunningman09)

darunningman -- where is your jingle bell run? I thought of doing one on dec 5 too, but its my sons 13th birthday -- so im pretty sure he doesnt want me racing that day

Good job on your times!

Mrs. F

• darunningman09 Amateur 33 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    14. Nov 16, 2009 10:14 AM (in response to MrsFatmanrunning)

I live in East Central Mississippi... town called Meridian!  Its the towns yearly kickoff of downtown Christmas events!

C25K Completed!

GW28K Completed!

Starting Weight: 310 lbs

Current Weight: 197 lbs

Total Weight Lost: 113 lbs

-------------

10/14/2009 - Run for Hope 5k - 29:04.8 *PR

2/14/2010 - Mercedes Half Marathon - 2:07:49 *PR

6/12/2010 - Renaissance at Colony Park Half Marathon

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...