Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

720 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2009 10:18 AM by Stevemustangred RSS
Solsenz Amateur 14 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2009 7:47 AM

Silly Pace Question

Ok-I see in various training options the use of different words for speed and wondered how they relate how fast they compare to each other. I see "warm up jog," "easy jog," "Recovery jog," "slow jog," and "cool down jog," or instead of jog, the word run is there. Wondering which is slow or fast compared to the others? Thanks.

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. Nov 17, 2009 7:23 PM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: Silly Pace Question

It would be helpful to know what kind of workout you're looking at (is it track repeats?).  If a coach or somebody gave it to you, just ask them. If it's a published training plan, usually they come with a 'key' or other information explaining what they mean by the different terms. But I'll give you my guesses! Recovery jog sounds to me like an "active cooldown" (just slow jogging, or even walking, instead of stopping/standing) between intervals. Slow jog and cooldown jog sound the same and I'd guess it's simply a slow pace that allows your heart rate and breathing to come down without actually standing still, to keep your muscles working while you're recovering.  A warmup 'jog' would just be an easy pace that gets your muscles warmed up; nothing more. For example, I have a training plan that says to warm up or cool down for 10 minutes before or after the actual workout. It's basically at whatever pace you like, as long as it's gentle. A warmup 'run' might be somewhat faster and more intense, such as before a race or a timed trial or something. But those are guesses, without actually seeing your training plan.

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    2. Nov 18, 2009 10:18 AM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: Silly Pace Question

It is mostly what feels right to you.  A warm up pace is where you don't feel out of breath.  For recovery or cool down it is usually 1-2 minutes slower than the pace you were just running and it allows you to slowly recover from breathing hard.  Ultimately your heart rate will slow.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points