Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3538 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2009 8:51 AM by mdimarathon RSS 1 2 Previous Next
tattooedangelwings Amateur 38 posts since
Nov 7, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 18, 2009 5:03 AM

52 Marathons in 52 Weeks!!

I'm taking on this extreme challenge starting in Jan 2010 to be the first woman to run 52 marathons in 52 weeks! I'm running to help South African Aids orphans and I'm trying to get the word out about what I'm doing to as many runners as possible. Check out my blog at http://www.52beginnings.com

I'd love to find other runners that are doing the races that would like to run with me - if you are looking at doing one of the marathons I'm scheduled to run during this, I'd love to hear from you. You can view my race calendar on my blog.

Dana

• Atsipootes Pro 102 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    1. Nov 18, 2009 5:26 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)
    Re: 52 Marathons in 52 Weeks!!

That's just amazing

I wish you the best!!!

I am now training for a marathon.

Feel the joy of running

http://www.you-run.com

• tatcat99 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    2. Nov 18, 2009 5:34 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)

WOW, that is totally amazing!  Great luck on an incredible endeavor

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 18, 2009 5:48 AM (in response to Atsipootes)

While she's been gracious enough not to be so direct about it, Dana is attempting this tremendous feat in order to raise money to assist 25:40 in its mission. If you visit her blog, you can find a link to her sponsorship page and make a contribution in support of Dana's efforts (via PayPal). Sponsorship funds go directly to 25:40, and they'll acknowledge the receipt of funds by e-mail. (The e-mail serves as your receipt for the tax-deductible donation.)

For anyone who's concerned that this is a scam, please note that 25:40 is an IRS-registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. It's not on the Charity Navigator site, but you can see the IRS forms 990 on Guidestar.

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have no affiliation with Dana (I've never met her or communicated with her in any way) or 25:40; I just think this is a great idea in support of a worthy cause.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    6. Nov 18, 2009 7:01 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)

I just responded to your post in the ultra community, but if you haven't already, you should get in touch with Dane Rauschenberg. It's possible he'll just tell you to buy his book, but either way, as someone who did it himself,  he should have some ideas. I know that one problem he encountered was that there wasn't an official race one weekend.... so he had to become RD and plan his own official marathon. Good luck!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    7. Nov 18, 2009 7:41 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)

What you are about to attempt will be a very big challenge, but I question your statement "first woman to run 52 marathons in 52 weeks."  I know a few women that have done that, so I do not know how you came to make that claim unless you add a twist (like doing all 50 US states).

Good luck.  The key is staying injury free.

James
  • mdimarathon Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    10. Nov 18, 2009 9:12 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)

Dana,

As the race director of the Mount Desert Island Marathon in Bar Harbor, Maine.http://www.mdimarathon.org Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and extend a complimentary entry into our event to be held on Oct 17, 2010 We can also help with lodging and will gladly help spread the word about your 'year of marathons' and very worthwhile fundraising efforts. I sincerely hope other races will step up and take care of your entry fees and include other perks as may be available to them. (us)

Cheers

Gary Allen

race director

Mount Desert Island Marathon

PS If you might want to start the year with a nice little warm-up. Please join me on Jan 1. http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/01/01/a_running_start_to_2009/

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    11. Nov 18, 2009 10:40 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)

Dana -

I am a member of Marathon Maniacs - http://marathonmaniacs.com/.  If you have been doing marathons for a while you will see a lot of us out there.  We are a group of people who do as many marathons as possible.  Some do upwards of 100 or more.

I do not want to name any names.  But I will name one since she was on a Magazine cover.  Yoland did 65 marathons in 2008.  I believe she is already around that this year and will easily break 65.  http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_W_wholder13.468ce79.html

If you browse through the Maniac Insane Asylum - http://www.marathonmaniacsdb.com/Maniacs/Scorecard.asp - you will see people who have stars by their names.  A number of people with 8 stars or more have done 50+ marathons in a year.  You will see quite a few Maniacs have done it, including a number of women.  I believe all the races are "official" races, but the results do include ultras.

I haven't read Dane's book.  I need to get my hands on it.  But he is fairly hard core, meaning he runs fast   In my experience I can do lots of marathons only by taking it easy - not running too hard or fast.

James
  • SEMPER FI. Amateur 37 posts since
    Feb 1, 2008
    12. Nov 18, 2009 10:48 AM (in response to tattooedangelwings)

Wow!! Good luck and wish you the best and I do hope you stay injury free, I'm running a few marathons in So. Ca I hope to see you there. DEC-6th Santa Barbara, May 21st 2010 LA Marathon.

Camp Pendleton 10k mud run   10-18-08 1:15

Rose Bowl half                         12-13-08  2:10

Carlsbad half                            01-25-09  2:04

Race on the base 10k               02-21-09 54:43

LA MARATHON                        05-25-09 5:01

Long Beach half                       10-11-09 1:57

Camp Pend Mud run                 10-17-09 1:25

SANTA BARABARA MARATHON   12-06-09 04:35

Carlsbad half                            01-24-10 1:50

Rose bowl half                          02-07-10 2:00

LA MARATHON                       03-21-10  4:24

HARD CORPS MARATHON      04-17-10  4:17