Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1432 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2009 9:38 AM by TCameli RSS
cabrecht Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 18, 2009 7:13 AM

Doing too much too soon??

I decided to start running back in May and was jogging 3 miles a day, 3 days a week. I would run one mile, take a 30 second rest and then run another mile until I reached 3. Prior to this, I was inactive and was a couch potato. I was running for time, so I was running as fast as I could each mile. Soon after beginning, I began having tenderness on the tops of my feet and it would make it uncomfortable to run/walk. Resting a few days would make it go away.

I gave up running for a few months figuring I’m just not meant to run, but decided to try again last month. This time, however, I was not running for time, I was running for distance. I slowed down so that I could run 3 miles without stopping. I was able to do this, but after a week and a half of running 3 times a week, the same problem of tenderness on the tops of my feet was occurring. This would cause me to stop running/jogging because they were so sore.

I finally decided to go see a podiatrist and he determined I had anterior tibial tendonitis and that I am flatfooted. He suggested purchasing Spenco foot inserts, ice, and ibuprofen. I purchased the suggested Spenco (Polysorb Total Support) inserts and wore my running shoes (Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9’s) a few days to break them in. I have only run once with my inserts, but the tenderness is still there (went to the doctor on 11/9..last ran 3.1 miles on 11/15). However, it is not as bad. I still have to walk portions of my 3.1-mile run in order for the tenderness to go subside before I can continue running. I average a 3.1-mile run in 35-36 minutes.

My question is if I am doing too much too soon going from the couch to running pretty much a 5k right off the bat? I can run 30-40 minutes without stopping right now. Should I stop running for a few weeks to let my tendonitis heal and then do a C25K even though I can currently run 30-40 minutes without stopping (when I have no tenderness)? I apologize for the book and hope it all made sense. Not sure if this information is necessary, but I am 28, 5’11 and about 180lbs.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Nov 18, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to cabrecht)
    Re: Doing too much too soon??

obviously you have the fitness to run the 3 miles - but you also need to build up the muscle tollerance to take the pounding - you are correct in thinking you maybe did too much too soon.

Look at the coutch to 5K plan - I don`t think you necessarily need to start from week one - but you`ll get an idea of how they progress a running plan.

I would give yourself a week off then start back  with a run / walk combo - listen to you bodt - as soon as you start to feel pain - stop !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Love2Run4Me Legend 273 posts since
    Oct 9, 2009
    2. Nov 18, 2009 7:57 AM (in response to cabrecht)

I am no expert, but a few things come to mind.  Are you tying your shoes too tight, are your shoes too small, and are you wearing the proper shoe for your foot?  On more than one occasion I have experienced tenderness/pain on the tops of my feet – loosed the laces and all was fine.  Also, many runners need their running shoes to be up to a full size bigger than their “street” shoes.  Have you been fitted for your running shoes?  This could also be the culprit, as not all running shoes are created equal.  If you are running in the wrong type of shoe, it could cause all kinds of problems.

You could be doing too much too fast.  If you were completely inactive and started running 3 miles 3 times a week, your body just may not be ready for the demand.  Maybe try scaling back a bit, and only do the 3-mile distance once a week.  Personally, I took several months to reach the 3-mile distance (and I was also inactive before starting running).

10/10/09  Lake Joe Pool Pumpkin Run 5K - 33:15

11/26/09  Dallas Turkey Trot 5K - 30:35

02/14/10 Austin Half Marathon - 2:12:25

03/13/10 Dash Down Greenville 5K - 29:27

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    4. Nov 18, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to cabrecht)

If you can run the distance then you are probably fine.

Take your running slowly until you are healed.  When it hurts slow down, walking is fine.  Avoid hills if you notice pain, either up or down hill running could aggravate the problem.  You may want to limit yourself to a treadmill until it heals. 

I have used "yoursole" heat molded inserts for years after they resolved a nasty plantar faciitis problem I had.  Custom orthotics were no help and probably made it worse.

Top of feet problems on both feet sound like your laces are too tight.  You only really need to make sure your heel is tight against the back of the shoe so that the heel isn't sliding around.  Your toes should have wiggle room. 

I would recommend a sports orthopedist over a podiatrist, especially one who is a runner.  Most non running doctors think running is bad for you.

A running/gait analysis might be a good idea if the problem doesn't clear up.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    5. Nov 19, 2009 9:00 AM (in response to cabrecht)

Congratulations on getting started.

My philosophy is no pain no gain. Human are made to run, some of us maybe slower than others. I have been running for more than 15 years almost everyday, over 160 marathons in last 10 years. I have had many injuries and have never stopped.

Keep going, slow down to walk if you have to but never stop.

• TCameli Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    6. Nov 19, 2009 9:38 AM (in response to cabrecht)

I had the same problem when I started. What worked for me when was changing new shoes and changing the way I tied my shoes I found this page the best http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

Life is short. Live hard

Check out my blog C25K to wherever my training takes me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...