Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2307 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2009 7:39 AM by dfitz*
BreegirlRN Rookie 7 posts since
Nov 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 20, 2009 11:35 AM

Are Sore Ankles Normal?

I'm into my third week of running/walking, and my ankles are sore every time while I run. I keep thinking they're going to get stronger, but it's just as bad every time.  I stretch before, I don't overdo it (i'm going about 1.2-1.4mi for my loop)... Do i just have weak ankles? Will they get stronger? Should I get some kind of ankle support? Thanks for your feedback!

2010 Runs:

Shamrock Run 3/14

Lacamas Lake 1/2 Marathon 7/25

• FsrunnerKid Expert 46 posts since
    Mar 15, 2009
    1. Nov 20, 2009 12:39 PM (in response to BreegirlRN)
    Re: Are Sore Ankles Normal?

sore ankles are normal it well go away after a few rest do not wrry there not weak they well get strong

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 20, 2009 12:53 PM (in response to BreegirlRN)

General ankle pain is not normal.  But it's hard to find anything online that deals with this problem.

You could be over-pronating, where your ankles roll inward as you run. Here is one explanation: http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/pronation.htm.  The illustration could be better.  It's for the right foot from behind.  Having an experienced runner watch you run might be very helpful in figuring out what is causing the pain.  You might be able to get a stride/gait evaluation at a good running store.  They have also been offering these at many marathon expos lately.  Check it out if there is one near you soon - they're free.

Len

Len

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    4. Nov 21, 2009 7:39 AM (in response to BreegirlRN)

If your soles wear only along the outside edge, you are probably underpronating rather than overpronating. But nonetheless, I would suspect your "newness" is at least partly why your ankles are sore. I remember the same thing with both my ankles and knees, but it was just my body saying "What are you doing?!? We're not used to this activity!" Undoubtedly my shoes were another part of it. I bought inexpensive shoes at a discount store when I first started running and the soles were way too stiff. I  You'll notice that when you pick up a good-quality shoe, generally they are very easy to bend at the forefoot.

By the way, I also under-pronate and wear the outsides of my soles, but I don't go overboard in finding shoes to correct it. I just avoid shoes that correct the opposite motion (over-pronation) by pushing your feet more to the outside. I love Saucony shoes for various reasons, and the model I have now is designed for neutral-to-under-pronating runners. The inside edges of my shoes still have the manufacturing "nubbins" on them even after 300 miles, and the outside edges are worn but not dramatically so. It's just the norm for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points