Skip navigation

2230 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2009 4:44 PM by Sharkman 64D RSS
Sharkman 64D Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2009 11:16 PM

Is 5 months enough to train for a 1/2 IM?

I've been a "triathlete" most of my life in that I have S/B/R for regular excercise and now I want to put them all together and attempt my first triathlon.  I've been following a training schedule of sorts and I'm 5 months out.  Is this enough time to get good training in or am I setting my sights too high?  I'm just looking for a bit of guidance/advice from those that have been there done that...anyway, look forward to hearing from ya'll...cheers!

Shark

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    1. Nov 28, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to Sharkman 64D)
    Re: Is 5 months enough to train for a 1/2 IM?

Hi Shark!

Welcome. Can you give us a little more info? I do think 5 months is a good amount of time. It'd help to know what your current level of fitness is & what your expectations are for the event.

I see in your note that you already have a base of swimming, biking & running, -- great! Have you covered 1/2 iron distances individually in the pool/open water, bike & run?

Do you already have a road/tri bike that you are comfortable riding? Have you swam in open water?

I'm curious. But even if you said NO to the above questions, I DO think it's possible to train for a 1/2 in 5 months especially if you live in a climate that lets you get outdoor training time & if you have the time available to build a base, power & race-specific skills.

What's your strongest of the 3 sports? Unless you use paddles etc, it's safest to build strength/fitness in the pool vs. pounding on the road.

So, yes, if you play it right you could set yourself up for a rewarding, satisfying & fun race day 5 months from now. I hope you'll stay in touch.

Best to you,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    2. Nov 28, 2009 2:53 PM (in response to Sharkman 64D)

Shark,

It really does depend on your fitness and racing history. I've raced for 6 years, and can now put together a quick and effective 12 week build-up to any 1/2 Ironman (6 week base, 4 week build, 2 week peak). I focus on high intensity intervals, no junk miles, consistent training, and very, very good nutrition during this 12 week period, and it works well.

Anyways, check out some of the articles over at http://www.pacificfit.net/articles.php , where I share alot of the advice I use to put together a training plan like that.

Cheers,

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Nov 30, 2009 8:31 AM (in response to Sharkman 64D)

just my .02 5 months is enough time IF you have the time to train for it.  not sure where you are but here in the Northeast winter is coming and that means more indoor cycling until marhc/april.  doable but not ideal - especially for a hilly half.  I'd also recommend doing at least a sprint before the big day to see what 'racing' feels like.  nutrition is also becomes very critical on long distance races.  you can bluff it for a sprint and an oly but you're race will be a LOT easier if you have your nutrition nailed down before your Half.

you don't need to join USAT but if you don't you get hit up w/ a 1 day license fee which is around $10 for the raceday (and if you do more than 1 race it adds up)

is the neophyte plan specifically for Half IM distance?  cause 6 weeks doesn't sound like a lot of time

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Dec 1, 2009 6:32 AM (in response to Sharkman 64D)

for what it is worth check the generic half iron plans at trinewbies.com, beginnertriathlete.com and trifuel.com theya re generic but are pretty good

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points