Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6082 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2010 10:30 AM by how2runfast RSS
jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
Sep 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 29, 2009 7:40 AM

Running, Nutrition and Type 2 Diabetes

Hi....I am a former runner who has started running again after not running for about 25 years. I am 52 years old, 6-2, weight about 240 pounds and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a year-and-a-half ago. I am using the Couch to 5K plan and am just starting week six.I am also watching my diet to lose weight. My goal is to get below 200 pounds, preferably to about 190, and be able to run a half-marathon in November 2010.

So far, everything is going well but I have a question about some of the energy foods and drinks that runners typically eat and drink. Just about everything I have seen is very high in carbs and sugars...two things I need to stay away from to keep my blood sugar under control. I am currently keeping the blood sugar in check by watching my diet and taking metformin. My doctor says if I can lose the weight, I should be able to get off the metformin, so I do not want to start eating or drinking anything that will get my blood sugar out of whack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should be eating or drinking that will help with my running but not affect my blood sugar?

Thanks,

Jim

• irishgirl4u2c Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 17, 2010
    1. Jan 17, 2010 3:50 PM (in response to jwsamuel)
    Re: Running, Nutrition and Type 2 Diabetes

Jim, I'm feeling you pain.  I'm a hypoglycemic with hypothroidism and I've got another 45 pounds to shed (already ditched 35).  So I know all about the high protein, watch the carbs and sugars thing.  I did find a decent whey protein powder at my local health food store that actually doesn't taste crappy (I know... what a concept!)  It's made by Biochem, and I have both the chocolate and vanilla... it has 20g of protein and only 3 or 4g of carbs, and only costs you 100 calories.  Not bad, and I'll often have some when I get back from a trot.  Best solution I have, at least for the moment...  alll the best!

• vanessaruns1 Expert 40 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    2. Mar 19, 2010 4:49 AM (in response to jwsamuel)

Oh.. Jim! People like you are the reason I do what I do. I'm a nutrition student also studying to become an  athletic  trainer. You can learn about natural, holistic sport nutrition  for runners here  (plus the role of sport drinks and how to make carbs your  friends!):  http://wp.me/pOwIM-58

Vanessa Rodriguez

www.vanessaruns.com

vanessaruns@gmail.com

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Apr 2, 2010 3:34 PM (in response to jwsamuel)

JW for the lengths of running you are talking about you do not have to carb load. A well balanced diet should meet you requirements. An hour before you workout try some strawberries, a very yellow banana even some 1% milk. The protein in milk is primarily casin which is slow digesting and better suited for cardio workouts where you need a slow steady flow of nutrients. Save the whey for afterward.

Los Angeles Personal Fitness Trainer

• Wayna72 Pro 113 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    5. Jun 16, 2010 5:57 PM (in response to jwsamuel)

did you ever find out any information on nutrition and type 2. if you can point me in the right direction that would be great... I have type 2 and started running with c25k last summer. I finshed my first 5k about 2 weeks ago. I would like to race again but I have no engery to do the training. I think it has to do with the food I am not eating. I eat right and the sugar goes up. I eat bad the sugar goes up. it is a cycle that I dont want to contuine.  any help would be great?

Wayna

Will run for Food 5k- 6/5/10- 56min.

Wayna

Will Run 4 Food 5k-56mins (first 5k) 6/5/10
    Walk for Life/Run for Adoptions 9/18/10 51:56
    John 3:16 run 5k 52:57 mins chip time. (all hills) 10/23/10
    Steps for sucess on Route 66 11/22/10 51:09
    Poker Run 2/11 no time
    St Patrick 5K 52mins 3/12/11
    YWCA Race againest Racism 48 min 4/30/11
    Run to the Sun 45:32 9/5/2011
    Route 66 1/2 marathon 11/11 3:43
    Aquarium Run 4/12 3:33
    Tulsa Run 15k 2:22
    Route 66 Marathon. 11/18

• Ame2828 Expert 55 posts since
    May 17, 2010
    6. Jun 23, 2010 8:46 AM (in response to jwsamuel)

Hi Jim,  I can totally sympathize with you.  I dont have diabetes but I do have hyperinsulinemia which causes me to have pretty severe hypoglycemia if I dont keep it under control.  I too would like to lose more weight but i'm trying to balance running with good nutrition and like you have to stay away from carbs.  I tend to eat protein and veggies and some fruit...like berries.  Berries are lowest in sugar and my body processes them ok but I still have to watch it.  For me and what i've been sucessful with is to eat lots of protein, fills me up and strangely gives me energy.  I say its strange because it has the opposite effect on my boyfriend lol.  Look for foods lower on the glycemic index scale and that should help you balance your diet.  I'm trying to eat lots of whole foods instead of processed because the processed stuff makes me feel awful.  I was on Metformin too before, so i feel for you on that.  Once I dropped 60lbs though i was able, well had to get off the stuff.  So you can do it!

Upcoming Races:

9/18/2010 - Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K

11/20/2010- Bradley's Country Fun Day 5K

Races Completed:

7/31/2010 - 1st 5K "Mike the Dog 5K" (ended up being a 5.5 mile race due to missing the turn around and getting lost lol) 1:20:50

8/14/2010 - Trojan Pride 5k - 42:10

• mnjensen Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2010
    7. Jul 4, 2010 3:02 PM (in response to jwsamuel)

It's like I'm reading my own bio. I just turned 50 and haven't ran in at least 15 years. I also was diagnosed with type 2 in Nov of '08. I am 6' and 235. I was wondering what a diabetic runner eats to sustain a race and not crash. If you find anything out, post it and I will do the same.

• Ame J Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    8. Aug 10, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to jwsamuel)

Jim- check out this shake I've been drinking. The Diabetes Association just endorsed it...

http://myshakeology.com/esuite/home/amyjarusevicius

• digio66 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    9. Aug 17, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to jwsamuel)

Hi Jim...

try rd411.com, it has education, advice and tools that dietitians use to help clients.  There's a whole section for diabetics and on the home page you will find a link for sports nutrition

• parsonjim Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2010
    10. Aug 30, 2010 2:06 PM (in response to jwsamuel)

Hi,  I too am a former runner and I turn 65 next year.  I have had T2 diabetes for over 15 years and was on a tremendous amount of medication, including metformin and glyburide.  Dr. kept threatening to put me on insulin.  I had injured my achllles about 9 years ago and quit running.   I also weighed over 250 lbs.  I started working on walking up Stone Mountain, here in Ga, last April.  I started running a bit and also started a low carb diet.   I'm below 230 now, aiming for under 200 and have not felt this well in decades.   I cannot take my glyburide because it makes me go hypo.  My average blood sugar has  dropped from 190 to 115, and my bp to an average of 114/68.  Yes, I had to stop my bp medicine.  Since my running has been mostly uphill, I decided to try some distance in my neighborhood.  I was floored when I passed 10K.  The only medicine I am taking now is the metformin.  Most of the dosing says 500 mg x2 daily.  I feel that by continuing my running I can eventually get off my meds completely.   What do you think? I feel great and love to run, and yes, sometimes I really feel my age, but getting of the metformin is my goal.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...