Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

823 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2009 2:39 PM by Runninoob RSS
GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
Sep 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2009 5:28 AM

OMG- why does my foot fall asleep?? HELP!

Ok - seriously... what the heck? Why does my right foot fall asleep when I run? I mean, I'm running! Am I not giving it enough to do?!?! Geez..

It only happens on asphalt, and begins when I'm in mile 2. My shoes are not tied too tight and I wear New Balance. Again, this only happens on asphalt - never on a rubberized track, treadmill, dirt or cement.

It totally affected my 5K on Thanksgiving... HELP? Its driving me nuts!!

Thanks!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• coyotecoach20 Amateur 36 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    1. Nov 30, 2009 1:41 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: OMG- why does my foot fall asleep?? HELP!

How long have you been running for and has your foot always fallen asleep?  Also you said that you wear New Balances have you always worn these or are they new shoes?  it sounds like you may have restricted blood flow, which could be the shoe it to tight in some places or I have even heard of that happening with socks that are to tight.  I would try loosening the laces, trying a new pair of running shoes and/or socks. I have heard of a few people also commonly get this.  Sorry to not be much help

• Swaph Amateur 22 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    2. Nov 30, 2009 1:55 PM (in response to coyotecoach20)

I had this same problem with my left foot....right around mile 2 my toes would start going numb and then my whole foot would go.  I had my laces as loose as I could without my heel slipping out.  When I went to buy new shoes, I got fitted by Fleet Feet and they told me that my foot was bordering on needing wide width shoes which I had no idea!  That, coupled with normal swelling as I ran, led to my foot going numb.  Since I've gotten my new Sauconies I have not had that problem at all.  And I can tell the difference when I slip on those old shoes, it's kinda crazy.

Pain is temporary, PRIDE is forever.

• Runninoob Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    3. Nov 30, 2009 2:39 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

I have this issue as well. My whole foot doesn't go to sleep, just my toes. I have found that if I push through it, it goes away at about mile 2.5... I have 2 pairs of running shoes, and it seems to happen more with one than with the other. I would look to see if you can get Wide New Balances if you like the shoe otherwise.

Jeff H.

12/2/2008 - 399 lbs.  - 11/2/2009 - 289 lbs.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just fur Fun 5K, College Station, TX  11/21/09 - 42:11

Jingle Bell Fun Run 2 miles, College Station, TX  12/6/09 - 25:55

New Year's Resolution 5K, College Station, TX 1/9/10 - 37:38

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...