Skip navigation

21849 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2011 4:05 AM by professorsparkplug RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Brook209 Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2009 10:17 PM

Quality Mp3 player for swimming??

Does anyone have any input on a quality Mp3 player for swimming laps (sound quality first priority) ??  Speedo LZR aquabeat? Finis SwimP3, etc.???

Bp

• aasny Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    1. Jan 6, 2010 4:03 AM (in response to Brook209)
    Re: Quality Mp3 player for swimming??

I've been very happy with the Interval 3G for the iPod shuffle (3rd/4th Gen) by H2OAudio.  Once you get the right earplug size, they stay in for the duration of the workout and the sound quality is comparable to what you get out of the water.

I learned the hard way that you shouldn't bother with H2OAudio's earlier version of the Interval (from the Natalie Coughlin Signature Series), which works with the 1st/2nd Gen shuffle - it had a weak plastic latching system that broke after one use; I returned it for repair and it only lasted for three more workouts.  The Interval 3G is a big improvement as they've completely redesigned the closing mechanism.

• JJJimenez Amateur 6 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    2. Jan 9, 2010 1:34 PM (in response to Brook209)

I just bought the Finis SwimP3 player and my friend has the H2Audio setup for the 2nd gen shuffle.

Regarding the SwimP3 this is what i have to say:

1.  I purchased this for $139 from Swim Outlet.  I have a first gen shuffle so for price, was comparable to buying a new shuffle and the H2Audio

2.  Sound is transmitted by bone conduction.  Clarity is fair to good.  Dynamic range (highs, bass tones) are not as wide as you would get with standard headphones.

3.  There are only four buttons on the unit so utilizing different functions such as shuffle and changing playlists as well as volume and skip require hitting the buttons and holding for longer or shorter time periods. This gets confusing and I never really know if the shuffle function is on or not.

4.  Shuffle function doesn't work really well.  I have about 4 hrs worth of music loaded and I will get repeats during a one hour workout.

5.  Getting the unit strapped to goggles can be a bit challenging at first but once in place, they stay put fairly well.  I wear my cap over the tops of the unit and that helps keep them in place but also get a little uncomfortable during longer workouts.

6.  The units seem to stay put fairly well especially worn under cap.  I have had some minor movement of the unit following a really aggressive push off from a turn.

Overall I would give the product a 6 or 7 out of 10. It does what I need it to do.  sound quality can vary widely depending on positioning with big changes occuring over just a small amount of movement so play around with it if you get one.

My friend is happy with sound quality of the H2Audio but like many others has complained of ear plugs becoming dislogded .

I don't know anything about the speedo it is too new but I chose SwimP3 because the Speedo looked bulky.

The major disadvantage of Speedo and SwimP3 is inability to handle AAF, AAC files.  I'm sure you are like most and use iTunes.  In order to get iTunes AAF, AAC files on the SwimP3, you have to burn the files onto an Audio disk making a WMA file then rip those files to your computer (there will be no track data) and then transfer to SwimP3.  You cannot convert an AAF to MP3.

Swimming with tunes is so much better.  I do workouts up to 2 miles at times and it really helps the time fly by.

Good Luck.

Jay

• Wittymermaid Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 17, 2010
    3. Jan 17, 2010 8:58 PM (in response to Brook209)

I own the Finis Swimp3. I've had it for about six months, and I've found it to be reliable.  The last poster's comments regarding some fuzzing of the bass sounds is accurate. I wear mine on the outside of the cap, and the unit does require occasional adjustment at the wall. But I am happy with the purchase. I would buy it again.

• professorsparkplug Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    4. Jan 25, 2010 3:37 AM (in response to Wittymermaid)

hi,

I own the Finis as well, and I find it absolutely brilliant, it really lengthens the time you take to swim. It is such more enjoyable going for a swim with music. The best thing about it is that it doesn’t go in your ears and stays on quite comfortably on your goggles. The music is easy to put onto it, the battery is great, I really can't fault it and would recommend it to anyone !

• KungFuHamster Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 20, 2009
    5. Jan 26, 2010 10:14 PM (in response to professorsparkplug)

Swimman.com waterproofs the ipod shuffle 2nd gen. so no case needed at all the little unit just clips right to your goggle strap.  Add to that a pair of the H2O Surge headphones and you have an unbeatable waterproof system that really sounds great.

• thurley7 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2010
    6. Jun 2, 2010 3:31 PM (in response to KungFuHamster)

I use the Dolphin Touch from NU Technology. Extremely easy to use, and small enough that it clips on my goggles. I have seen a new version that is coming out in soon that I may upgrade to.

The model I use is available at Swim Outlet : http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16230.htm

• Moe18 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    7. Oct 15, 2010 4:51 PM (in response to Brook209)

I really like the SwiMP3.1G by Finis. I bought mine from this great online store, Kompetitive Edge. Here is the page of their underwater MP3 player. I think they have the Finis for a great price.http://www.kompetitiveedge.com/accessories-underwater-mp3-player-finis-inc.-swimp3.1g-bluewhite-pid-1841.cfm

I love them and they have other swim gear as well, but good luck on your hunt!

• benallen71 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    8. Oct 21, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to thurley7)

I have the Dolphin Touch too and I absolutely love it. I can't swim laps without it. Highly recommended!

• rachely476 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    9. Oct 21, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to Moe18)

Thanks for sharing the link!

http://moviesonlineworld.com

• benallen71 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    10. Oct 21, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to benallen71)

I didn't even think about it, but I actually lost my Dolphin Touch the other day. Sad

• waterproofmp3 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 6, 2011
    11. Jan 6, 2011 5:13 PM (in response to Brook209)

Its good to know that I'm not the only one who wants to listen to music while swimming in the pool. Well, after reading an article online about waterproof mp3 I did a little research on and off the web to determine which waterproof music player will help me going on my swimming sessions. I found three different waterproof mp3 players that are completely 100% waterproof that you can use not only for swimming but also for other water sports activities such as snorkeling, wakeboarding, kitesurfing, just to name a few. Check out my waterproof mp3 blog if you want more information on these waterproof portable music devices.

waterproof mp3 player for swimmers and water sports enthusiasts to help you get motivated in and out of the water.

• tabsmile Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    12. Jan 24, 2011 8:45 AM (in response to Brook209)

I bought a swimP3 and regret this purchase immensely. It's so much the product that I have a quarrel with, although I do not like the sound quality or the awkward button placement; it's the negative effect swimming with music had on my stroke and form that makes me regret spending the money. It totally threw me off, and I hated how the sound quality varied when I turned my head to breathe and put one speaker out of the water. It had almost a dizzying effect. (The product only works well underwater.) After ten horrible laps, I tore them off my goggles and my swimming returned to normal. This would be okay for a fitness swimmer, but if you're training for a triathlon or other event, ditch it altogether and focus on form, counting strokes, and "feeling" the water.

If anyone wants one, I'll sell it to you cheap!

• cmjisrew Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    13. Mar 16, 2011 11:21 PM (in response to Brook209)

i think such Mp3 for swimming is not s new thing,one of my friends have one.it is really very cool.:)

eve isk

• angsjoven Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 21, 2010
    14. Mar 17, 2011 7:12 AM (in response to Brook209)

I Never thought that there is a gadget like this. this is amazing, listening to your favorite music while on your swimming session.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...