Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

60596 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Previous Next
  • tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Jan 24, 2010 7:26 PM (in response to Jag92288)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

Tonight I was able to check off W7D1. Last week was a busy week at work and I was only able to go run Tuesday night (W6D2).

30 minutes/ 2.27 miles on the treadmill at the gym. My personal goal was at least 27 minutes without stopping to beat last Sunday's 26 minutes. I also went about .25 miles further. I felt good tonight. The only reason I stopped was because they were turning the lights off at the gym! I think I could have at least reached the 2.5 miles on the chart for W7D1 but I am happy with 5 minutes over the 25 minute target. I have a 5K scheduled next Sunday and I think I have a decent shot of jogging the whole way.

So far I am noticing what I eat the days I run and right before the run makes a difference. If I eat too much and/or junk, I struggle during the run. If I am careful with what I eat, as a general rule, the run goes well. I guess me becoming a runner is more incentive to eat right!

I think these last 3 weeks are a good foundation builder to get more comfortable running for 2-3 miles. I was worried about tonight's run all weekend and kept putting off running. I was concerned my 'success' last week was a fluke. This is all new territory for me. In the past I would have quit by now or quit after the first major break-through. I don't want to stop now - I want to see what this ol' girl can do.

W7D2 is Tuesday. Tomorrow night after my workout with my trainer I am going to do some shorter runs at higher speeds to work on increasing my pace. Trying to get from 'very, very slow' to 'very slow'.

Y'all are doing great and everyone keep pushing through - don't give up. Think about where you are now versus where you were a couple of months ago. Repeating a workout or a week keeps you moving. If you are having trouble moving off a certain week or day - break it into smaller parts. Add a minute or two at a time to get to that next target - you own that milestone, it does not own you.

Have a great week...and keep moving!

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    211. Jan 24, 2010 9:02 PM (in response to Jag92288)

W7D3. I did 2.31 miles in 25 minutes tonight (10:50 miles). My legs have been hurting afterward. I think taht I can make 27.5 next week. We shall see.

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    212. Jan 25, 2010 7:32 AM (in response to tweidler)

Tweidler, I love what you said here: "don't give up. Think about where you are now versus where you were a couple of months ago. Repeating a workout or a week keeps you moving. If you are having trouble moving off a certain week or day - break it into smaller parts. Add a minute or two at a time to get to that next target - you own that milestone, it does not own you."

I repeated my last workout this morning, and I feel great about it.  With my handy new watch (Timex Women's Ironman 50 lap), I set up intervals of 10 minutes and 3 minutes... walked my 5 minute warmup then started jogging. I paced myself to be sure I didn't wear out before the 10 minutes were up, and I did great! My jogging pace was slower than it's been on the TM (just over 12 minute miles this morning) but I kind of expected that. I walk faster though! Weird.

I'm actually looking forward to W6D3... I can do 25 minutes.  I CAN!

• BioChick Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    213. Jan 25, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to tweidler)

Great words of wisdom, tweidler!  I definitely need some today.  I was sick all weekend, I haven't been to the gym since last Thursday.  I did W6D1 and it was so hard to get through...it was definitely not a good running day for me, and also the fever and headache did not help!  But, I felt good after I finished, even though I barely finished.  I plan to do W6D2 tomorrow at the gym.  I need to get back into the swing of things after being sick.

Also, I'd like to say thanks to everyone!  Using this thread has helped me make it through.  I don't think I could have done it without reading about everybody else's great progress!  But, I'm not done yet...3 1/2 more weeks to go.  I'm going to push hard to finish and push hard to keep up afterwards.  Great job everyone!  Keep up the good work!

Follow my journey to fitness and a healthier lifestyle....http://runningdownadream2010.blogspot.com

• AngelaSh Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    215. Jan 26, 2010 12:26 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Hurt my knee :-(  No idea how or what I've done, but it hurts too much to run.  Have now had a week off and it still hurts, might have to have another week off ... not a happy bunny.

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    216. Jan 26, 2010 12:45 PM (in response to Jag92288)

@AngelaSH - I'm sorry about your knee! My R knee has bothered me, and was bad after 28 min outdoor run Sunday, so I just started working w/ a trainer. She's fab and figured out immediately problem was my quads/hips/glutes were crazy tight, esp on R side. She says this is very common w/ new runners and can cause knee pain. She highly recommended a hard foam roller to stretch/deep massage. OMG it KILLED to roll out my hip and lower quad but my knee is already beter. It's only $20 and she said I should roll out after every run. Can't hurt and I'm already so better! Here's a video and you can buy it on this site: http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/matriarch/OnePiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_306_A_PageName_E_foamrollerinstrvideo

Feel better fast.

Dec 8, 2009
    217. Jan 27, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to Jag92288)

W8D1!!! I ran 28 minutes. I felt like I could have run two more (not easily or fun, but possible). I need to map out a 5K course here at home since running 30 minutes is not getting me to 5K (at my rate, I will need about 35 minutes). Keep up the good work everyone. IT is nice to feel good in the morning when I get up.

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    218. Jan 27, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to Shevek)

Good job everyone, I just finished W4D3 yesterday and was very very happy with run.  I finished the final 5 minute run with a very hard push the last minute. Looking forward to the week five runs starting tomorrow.

Looks like I might be the last one posting on here as far behind everyone as I am, but I will keep giving updates until I'm done.  No way I'm going back to the couch!

Shevek, remember that when you sign up for and run your 5K, the adrenaline is going to give you a nice little lift.  I'd mix in adding those last two minutes with working on speed a bit.  I bet you'll really surprise yourself with your race time!

Six weeks in (four weeks of running) and I've lost about 25lbs and feel great!

Dec 21, 2009
    219. Jan 27, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to AngelaSh)

Angela, if it still hurts after a week I think it's time to see a doctor.  You could have a cartilidge issue or something else that no amount of rest will heal on its own.

Dec 8, 2009
    220. Jan 27, 2010 11:20 AM (in response to bostonwolf)

Great work. Gosh, I don't think that I have lost a pound. It is hard to keep on any kind of a diet with a family.

Dec 21, 2009
    221. Jan 27, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to Shevek)

I've been pretty careful with what I eat, but not too anal about it.

I've really just tried to maintain a similar calorie intake to what I did before I started running.  Plus I've found that running always queues my body that it needs to start slimming down.  Let's hope it keeps on working!

• Julesnew2running Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    222. Jan 27, 2010 12:15 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Hi, Jag

My husband and I just started the Cto5k yesterday.  I've never been a runner, or an avid exerciser for that matter.  I've never had the stamina for running-even when I was in high school and at my fittest.  My first day was very do-able.  I'm hoping to be ready for my first 5k by March 27th for the Rump Shaker benefiting colon cancer.  I'm trying to keep myself motivated by joining such groups as this, and blogging about it on facebook to keep me accountable.  Wishing you luck as you begin your training!

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    223. Jan 27, 2010 8:48 PM (in response to Mary29831)

Mary, great suggestion for the foam roller!  I use one that I purchased from that site as well.  The concept was suggested to me by a physical therapist that my doctor sent me to for knee pain also.  My problem was the IT band on my left leg (outside of the upper leg).  It hurt SO much to roll on a relatively soft roller at PT, but now after doing it semi-regularly for a few months, it's not a big deal.  I recommend foam rolling to everyone!  It's also great to incorporate in warming up.

W6D3 done this morning.  I'm slower on these long runs, but I figure I'll build up speed once I get the endurance base.  Two and a half weeks to my first race, a 4K on Feb 13th.  I had hoped to finish the program before then but I skipped a few too many days for that to happen.  I will be able to run the whole distance though, so that will be an accomplishment for sure!

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...