Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58857 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Previous Next
  • Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Jan 29, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to Jag92288)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

I had a great night last night! This is almost going to be a blog post. I went to do W8D2 (27.5 minutes rounded up to 28), but ended up running 30 minutes. I decided to try a different route, running through a local cemetery. I was concerned the Princeton Cupid's Chase 5K (already signed up for on 2/13)was on a hill, so Mary has said. The cemetery has two routes: roads that are hilly and a path around the edge. I went back and forth in my mind which path to take, complicated by the fact that I chatted with my wife until it was getting dark (I had hoped to run the outer path in the daylight since I have never been all the way around it before).

My C 2 5K IPod app was not working again, so I had Led Zeppelin playing as I started the 28 minute timer at the graveyard gates. It was very nice, I got to see my shadow in moonlight, the city lights (I live in Philadelphia) were just a twinkle. I decided to wait to do the hilly run until week 9 and started on the outer path. It was fun running in a graveyard listening to Led Zeppelin; I was thinking it would be cool if there were some zombies (zombies can never run - they just shuffle). IT was hard to see the path in the shadowy moonlight and I might have slowed down some. I did misstep in one place but did not fall or twist my ankle or knee (Keep doing those knee exercises!). Then I ran into a shadowy area with a tree or bush. I hoped that the path would cut through it, but it was just overgrown there. I slowed down to take a couple of steps and one earbud was pulled out. I was fooling with it when I came to the glint in surface water in moonlight. I stepped in some mud and decided to get back on the paved road even though it was hilly. When I got back on the road and re-inserted my earbud, I noticed that the timer had stopped. I restarted the timer and decided to continue running around the road until I got to my starting point. Then I ran the same path over to get a time - I was at 18:40 or 19:40. I subtracted my time from 28 to see how long I had jogged before the timer restarted. That was fun because I was suddenly over half done. I continued on the up and down hills feeling pretty good. At about two minutes until my finish time, I decided to go for 30 minutes. The last two minutes breezed by.

I walked home in triumph!

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    226. Jan 29, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to Jag92288)

@Shevak - congrats! 30 mins! I had a fabulous run like that on a dirt path by a canal on Sunday morning. Don't be too worried about the Cupid's Chase hills...more gradual and long than steep. Today was W9D1 for me so I ran for distance instead of time. My goal was 2.5 miles in 30 mins and I just about made it - took 31mins. I'm running about a bit above 12 min mile, and I'm ok with that for now ( I'm 49 and just started running 9 weeks ago!) I can pick up the pace a bit now, but I was pacing myself. If I can run my first 5k at 11 mins per mile I'd be thrilled, and I have until St. Pat's Day to continue training.

Knees have been aching some so I had them checked today. Ok to run - PHEW! - but hills not a great idea for awhile anyway because I have bone spurs on the front of both knees and hills will aggravate. Need to strengthen my quads to offset and keep them stretched same time - the hard foam roller is great for that. This program is amazing!! - can't believe I'm fine running 30 mins straight no problem and I'm so close to the 5K distance!

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    227. Jan 29, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to Mary29831)

great job Shevek, I can't wait to get that feeling in about three weeks when I'm wrapping up the program.  I had a wee bit of  knee soreness after W5D1 but am going to do the ice down tonight (which helped immensely last time i felt this) and proceed to D2 tomorrow.  I won't need ice then, it's only going to get up into the low 20s here in Boston!

Mary, good news about your knees.  I find my shins affect me much more on the hills than my knees do and in any case I do all of my running on the only half mile stretch of flat land around here (I literally just run back and forth twice before heading for home.)  I'm also still walking for about 30 minutes before and after the program so I'm getting about an hour and a half of exericise each time I go out, which feels great!

• Bauer05 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    228. Jan 29, 2010 5:44 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Oh No!!!! I just finished what I thought was W7D3 and for some reason checked my program that I printed and see that I wasn't running what I was supposed to be!!! All three days of W7 I was doing 20 minute runs instead of the 25. Not sure why I thought that this week was 20, W8 was 25 and W9 was 30...not sure what to do now??!!?? Maybe I should just stick with what I thought and not do the 28 minutes?? Otherwise I could extend the program one week and do 25, 28 then 30 minutes. Can't believe I screwed it up, but at least I am moving, and that's what counts right?!?  Duh... Tam

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    229. Jan 30, 2010 10:59 AM (in response to Bauer05)

Congratulations Shevek!!

Tam, I think I'd do 25 minutes for the next run or two and then see how I felt.  Maybe increase that second run, or the one after that, by a minute or two?  You'll get there soon enough, no matter what.

I just finished W7D1 and I felt so strong and fast today, I think I really hit my stride. Breathing was great and I listened to my body, slowing down when needed and speeding up when I could. The end result? I ran farther and faster than I've ever done!

My confidence has skyrocketed! Not only do I fully believe I will finish this program, running 30 minutes straight within the next two weeks -- but also making it to a full 5K in that half hour run!!!!

• tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    230. Jan 31, 2010 8:06 AM (in response to Jag92288)

I am on top of the world!!

I did it!! Ran my 1st 5K this morning all the way through. Unofficial time was 40:48 - slow but I did it. The Finish was cool: onto the floor of the Toyota Center - it was the (Houston) Rockets Run. I felt pretty good during the run. I focused on maintaining my pace and tried not to clock watch as much as I usually do. Throughout the run I kept telling myself the time did not matter just finishing did. I did walk about 5-10 sec at the water stops. From what I have read that is fairly acceptable.

I still have W8D2, D3 and W9 to do and I plan to see this program through to the end. I am curious what everyone is planning to do after this. I am going to start a 10K program but I think I am also going to restart this program to work on my pace.

Y'all keep it up - crossing that finish line is sooo worth it. Do not give up - you have come this far!

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

Dec 21, 2009
    231. Jan 31, 2010 11:27 AM (in response to tweidler)

congratulations!  At this point speed is irrelevant.  Finishing the distance is all that matters.  Now you can slowly start speeding up.

I almost always walk the water stops, especially if it's a bit cool outside.  I dont' want to spill water on myself and end up with freezing cold hands.

My plan is to start the 10k program and my goal is to run a half marathon in June.  Going to be tight but I think with a combo of running and diet (not starving myself, but eating right so this running puts me into calorie deficit) will get me there.

Dec 21, 2009
    232. Jan 31, 2010 12:42 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

Just finished W5D2 after whacking the everliving heck out of my knee/shin while I was getting dressed.  My issue now is getting all those smaller muscles in my legs up to speed.  Had some serious soreness in my calves and around the sides of my shins (which is normal when I start running again.)  I'm afraid that might hold me back a bit on D3 from finishing the 20 minute run but I'm going to give it a go.  My cardio fitness is really strong now, I had no issues at all today with the runs in terms of losing my breath or anything.  Once the shin soreness goes away I'll be doing great.

While I plan on doing the 10k program next, I was also considering mixing in some of this program as interval training to work on speed once I finish it.  I think it will work really well for that purpose.

• Shaun1215 Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    233. Jan 31, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Hey everyone! I just wanted to check in real fast and see what was going on. Good to see we are all still plugging along. I am starting week 7 tomorrow. I had to take a week off between 5 and 6 because of really bad foot pain. I have been running this in Vibram Five Finger shoes (pretty much barefoot) the whole time so there has been a little adjusting going on because of that alone. I am proud to say that the 25 min run on Friday was a piece of cake and I am looking forward to another tomorrow!

Dec 21, 2009
    234. Jan 31, 2010 9:00 PM (in response to Shaun1215)

Excellent, I'm curious to hear what you have to say about the five fingers compared to running in sneakers.

• Shaun1215 Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    235. Feb 1, 2010 4:55 AM (in response to bostonwolf)

Boston,

I decided to use them because I needed new running shoes anyway when I started this. I have always gotten shin splints from running in the past so after plenty of research I thought I would give these a try. I will tell you that I LOVE them! I doubt I will ever run in regular shoes again. In order to run in them you have to "ball strike" when you run instead of hitting on your heal. It takes some getting used to but once you do it for a while it does feel more natural. There has for sure been a lot of getting my body used to them as I mentioned earlier I had some pretty bad pain in my right foot at about week 5 so I took a week off. Now that I am back everything is fine, I did week 6 with no problem at all and I am getting ready for my 25 min run today as soon as I finish this post. Last week I had quite a bit of calf soreness after my runs but that has also gone away. It almost feels like my body is working out all of the weak kinks and allowing me to keep going. The Vibrams I got are the KSO's because of the strap and they have been great so far. vibram_KSO_M148.jpg

Dec 21, 2009
    236. Feb 2, 2010 4:09 PM (in response to Shaun1215)

Thanks Shaun, I might look into a pair when it's time to replace shoes but that's going to be a while since I just bought two pair.

Calf soreness seems perfectly normal given how much more emphasis that muscle is getting when you run on the ball of your foot.

Anyways, my worries about W5D3 were completely unfounded.  I made it through the 20 minute run with no problems and at a much better pace overall than I finished the two 8 minute runs at.  I'm flying down to FL tomorrow morning to spend a week and am really looking forward to running in shorts and a T-shirt for a week.  I'm hoping to run every other day and get into week 7 by the time I return, then I plan to start working on pacing.  I'd love to get to about a 10 minute mile pace but I'm well short of that now.

• BioChick Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    237. Feb 2, 2010 6:54 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Update from my end:  I had to repeat week 6 because I was a slacker and skipped out on the gym for almost a week   Anyway, I did W6D1 tonight and was able to run a little faster.  I realized I could probably run faster than what I am now, I just have to push myself.  I've thought about getting a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers but I'd like to try them on first.  I think there's an outfitter here in town that carries them so I may try them on this weekend.  I do need some new shoes either way.  I've noticed my calves and chins are hurting and I'm wearing worn out shoes.  So, we'll see.  Happy Running!

Follow my journey to fitness and a healthier lifestyle....http://runningdownadream2010.blogspot.com

• guy999 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    239. Feb 4, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Jag92288)

well i'm still around, going slowly i'm at week 6 day 3 next... so it's about to get harder... still trying to finish but i know i'm about 2-3 weeks behind everyone here.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...