Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

60627 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. Feb 13, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

Angela, good luck with the rehab.  Get yourself strong again and let us know how you are progressing.

Florida was great, I got in three very good runs and a few walks.  Had to take a couple of 20 second pauses on W6D3 but I tacked on 40 seconds at the end of the 25 minute run to make up for it.  Moving on to W7 today.  I'm going to miss running in shorts and a t-shirt for the next few months

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    256. Feb 13, 2010 2:49 PM (in response to Jag92288)

I did 30 minutes againthis afternoon. I guess that I have finished the program, though I really did W9 over a week and a half. I think that I will be doing Hal Higdon program. On May 2, there is the Broad Street Run (10 miles) that I might shoot for. That would be from couch to 10 miles in 5 months!

thanks everyone for your support

Jim

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    257. Feb 15, 2010 7:56 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Finished C25K two weeks ago, and ran my first 5k Feb 13 Cupid's Chase. Really fun! Cold, and first mile was huge hill with strong wind. I was 14 mins at first mile, but then course leveled next mile and downhill last mile and I must have picked up some speed. Finished 38:40, 12 min 20 sec mile, which I'm really happy about first race with wind and hill. C25K is a great program! I'm moving to Hal Higdon's 10k training now for a race this summer.

Thanks, everyone, for your support, and keep going....this program works!

Dec 21, 2009
    258. Feb 15, 2010 8:16 AM (in response to Mary29831)

Congrats to everyone who has finished.  I ran W7D1 yesterday with no problems at all.  I was actually overheating a bit (a rarity for me in the dead of winter) but finished the whole 25 minutes without a break.  Doing a walk today and will do Day 2 tomorrow. 

My 5k is going to be the Ras na hEireann in Somerville MA which is on March 14th.  I have no doubts I'll finish it and am hoping to be under 35 minutes.

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    259. Feb 15, 2010 9:42 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Congrats to everyone who has finished so far --- and to those of us still working towards that goal!

Saturday my husband and I did a 4k race.  We ran-walked it in just over 26.5 minutes.  Our goal was 25 minutes, which we could have done, other than a few novice mistakes.  Lessons learned!  I was going to count that as my 1st day of week 9, but since we didn't run the entire time, I am not.

So... I just finished W9D1 this morning.  2.6 miles in 30 minutes.  I'll increase speed a little on the next two runs and see if I can run a full 5k!  After this, I'll be following Jeff Galloway's 10K training program for a 12K I will be doing in May, running two days a week with long run-walks on the weekend.

Dec 21, 2009
    260. Feb 15, 2010 10:46 AM (in response to Zeesparrow)

Congrats, zee.  I'm going to move on to Hal Higdon's half-marathon program right after this is done.

Dec 21, 2009
    262. Feb 20, 2010 8:50 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Hey everyone, I just did W8D1 today no issues.  My only "rests" were to cross the street twice.  I also tacked on a couple of fast two minute runs after a few minutes break at the end of the 28 minute run. Still not as fast as I want, but for the program I'm really just focusing on the distance.

I've also been doing the workouts every other day, not 3 per week.  Trying to give myself a few days before my 5k (3/14) to do some speed work and work on pacing instead of distance.  That will give me 10 running days before the race and only five runs left to complete the program.

I might also keep pushing out some longer runs to get started on my half marathon training.

Looks like I'll be about the last one in our group to finish, but I'll keep posting until I get my 5k time

Dec 21, 2009
    263. Feb 24, 2010 8:46 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

Finished W8 today.  Should have run Sunday but didn't because it was my brother's birthday and that tied up most of the day.  Really tried to push today (mainly because I know I can do the 28 straight and I'm getting a bit bored) and it showed.  Did great for the first 20 minutes then hit the wall.  I'll slow it down Friday for W9D1 just to make sure I do the whole 30, push a bit on Sunday then again on Tuesday.  My plan is to continue to do the 30 minute run every two days and each 3rd run do some kind of speed work (there is a track not to far from me that will be perfect for this.)

I want to run the 5k in 35 minutes.  Right now I think it would take me about 39-40.

Dec 21, 2009
    264. Feb 28, 2010 5:58 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

Finished W9D2 today, even added in a few hills and had no problems.  One more run to finish the program then I'll start working on speed to try to make my 35 minute 5k goal.

• tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    265. Feb 28, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to Jag92288)

I have not checked for awhile. I 'officially' finished the C25K program today.

I had a few delays - work sent me to Dubai at the last minute a few weeks ago and then I had some cold/ cough thing last week that I caught on my return flight.

I have now run at least a 5K distance 3X in a race. I still am amazed I can do this. Today I did another half marathon (Mardi Gras in New Orleans) and I was able to run 5 miles without stopping! I started a 10K program with intervals to work on on my time. Since I am close to a 10K, I will start Hal Higdon's half marathon program next.

Good luck to all - My next 5K this Saturday - Stride4Stroke on the Rice University campus in Houston.

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

Dec 21, 2009
    267. Mar 1, 2010 8:33 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Thanks Jag.  i just sent friend requests to all the regulars on this thread so we can keep up and keep each other motivated.

I also plan to increase building mileage and try a half marathon in June.  That might be a little aggressive but I like having goals out there to strive for.  I'm aiming for a marathon later this year and would like to do a triatholon in 2011.

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    268. Mar 1, 2010 9:00 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Congrats to everyone who has finished!  Bostonwolf, I do believe you're going to finish before me at the rate I'm going... I had almost 2 weeks of.  Did W9D1, then nothing until this past weekend when I went out for 4 miles ... with a 4min jog/1min walk plan which was perfect.  That is my intent for my 12K race in May, so I'm very happy with how it went.  I will be finishing C25K with two full 30 minute runs... maybe this week.  Maybe.  I will get out three times this week, whether they're full runs or not is yet to be determined....

Dec 21, 2009
    269. Mar 1, 2010 9:13 PM (in response to Zeesparrow)

I will officially finish tomorrow and probably move on to a 1/2 marathon program.  i'm at least going to start it to see if I can handle the added workload.  If not I'll go back to running every other day and add in a lot of cross training/weightlifting etc.  I do want to get to where I can run a marathon but I am in no rush and don't want to get hurt increasing my workload too fast.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...