Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58667 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Mar 5, 2010 5:35 AM (in response to bostonwolf)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

Yesterday was W9D2 and it was rough, as expected. About 16 minutes in, I was tired and wanted to quit but I pushed through. At 25 minutes, I was going strong and wanted to pick up the pace, but didn't. At 29 minutes, I picked up the pace JUST a bit and finished it out.

One more to go!

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    271. Mar 5, 2010 7:29 AM (in response to Zeesparrow)

I finished really strong, trying to see how fast I could run 3.2 miles.  I got there in about 38 minutes and was happy until I realized I hadn't subtracted off my startup five minute walk from the total, so I could have done even better.  That run was more the Hal Higdon style nine minute run, one minute walk.  I'd pretty much push as hard as I could for a mile or so, take a thirty second breather then go again.  At the end I would walk for two telephone poles then run for six or seven and keep repeating until Runkeeper told me I was at 3.2

Went out yesterday at about 2pm after having only eaten breakfast and totally bonked about 2 miles into a 4 mile circuit.  Walking back home in the snow was not fun!

• tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    273. Mar 6, 2010 10:02 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Congrats, Jag92288 - that is a great time!

Bostonwolf - I have found what you eat (or don't eat) makes all the difference in the world. At least for me.

I did my 2nd 5K today. A nice run through the Rice University campus - one of the prettiest spots in Houston. I was able to beat my 1st 5K time by over 1:30. Today's unofficial time 39:04 (the 1st one was 40:41). My goal was under 40:00 so I am very happy. I hope to get to under 37:00 by the end of May. This weekend I am going to map out my future race and training schedule.

Keep up the good work everyone! Think about where we are now vs. December 6th!

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

Dec 27, 2009
    274. Mar 9, 2010 6:48 PM (in response to tweidler)

Great job, Jag92288!  You too, Tweidler ... making a PR while meeting a goal is awesome.

I officially finished the program today, running for the third time, 30 minutes straight.  My fastest run yet, making it just over 3 miles.  Not quite a 5k in the 30 minutes, but this was actually the goal I had set for myself when I started --- 3 miles in 30 minutes.  I have a 5k race on April 18th, which I want to complete in less than 30 minutes.  After today's run, I believe that should be achievable.

My plan from now on is to continue following Jeff Galloway's 10k training plan, in preparation for my 12k race on May 2nd.  I do not have a time goal for that, although I did originally... I'd rather focus on just finishing the race strong and injury free.

Thanks to everyone for their support in getting through C25K!!

Dec 21, 2009
    275. Mar 9, 2010 10:14 PM (in response to Zeesparrow)

I'm still really slow but not too worried about it.  The last few runs I've been pushing it at around 10-11 minute mile pace as long as I can then resting briefly and getting back to it.  Tomorrow I'm gonna go low and slow and try to get 35 minutes straight of running in.

Congrats to everyone who has finished!

• AngelaSh Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    276. Mar 24, 2010 1:07 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

Injury free - I started again last week.  Decided to go back to week 1 as I wasn't really sure how my knee would react. No problem.  I've been amazed at how easy it was compared to last December.  Fingers crossed this time I'll get to finish the course.

Hope everyone is doing OK and happily progressing with your running.

Dec 8, 2009
    277. May 14, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to AngelaSh)

I did it!  My last C25K run tonight and I did extra to get to the 5k distance.  5k in 40 mins.  Very proud of me :-)  Hope everyones running/training is going well.

Dec 21, 2009
    278. May 14, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to AngelaSh)

Awesome!  I still haven't run a 5k (I ended up travelling the weekend of the one I signed up for) but am running a four mile race next week.  I might have to take a break or two but I think I can get there in under 55 minutes.  We shall see!

Dec 21, 2009
    279. May 14, 2010 1:48 PM (in response to AngelaSh)

btw have you guys noticed how different you can feel for various runs?  I got sick for a week and didnt' do anything.  First run back was brutal, I could barely go a mile.  I waited another 3-4 days and went again and had the most relaxed, easiest run since I started up again in December.  Very strange, I wish i could figure out exactly what I did/ate to get that feeling!

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    280. May 14, 2010 2:10 PM (in response to AngelaSh)

@AngelaSH - good for you! I'm so glad you started again, and your knee is ok, and you finished the program! It's a great feeling, yes?

I'm so hooked on running now. I've finished two 5ks, and I'm training now for a 10k in Central Park on June 12 (Women's 10k mini). I've run 6 miles a couple of times already, and I still have nearly a month before the race, so I'll be able to finish for sure. Just hoping for a decent time. I'm slow, but that's ok. I enjoy running so much. Such a stress buster. And, running in the spring is so nice.

Keep it up! Congratulations to you!

Dec 27, 2009
    281. May 15, 2010 5:39 PM (in response to AngelaSh)

Congratulations, Angela!

I am still running, and loving it.  I've completed 3 races: 4k in February, 5k in March and a 12k earlier this month.  Some days are better than others (and faster though I'm still quite slow), but I'll keep putting in the miles.

See you on the road!

• EricaA97 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 15, 2010
    282. May 15, 2010 5:42 PM (in response to Jag92288)

I'm starting tomorrow and excited.

I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be  aggressive. I had to get out there and go for it... I know fear is an  obstacle for some people, but it's an illusion to me. -Michael Jordan

Dec 8, 2009
    283. Jun 20, 2010 1:27 PM (in response to Mary29831)

Had my first official race today.  Finished in 41 mins.  So chuffed, as this time last year I couldn't run for 41 seconds.  Dare I say it, I think I might just have 10 k in me yet.

Well done to everyone else who has finished and moved on to bigger and better things.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...