Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

60557 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next
Jag92288 Amateur 36 posts since
Dec 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2009 11:15 AM

Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

Hey everybody, my name is Austin and I'm new to running.  I have done a lot of elliptical and stationary biking lately and a little running, but I want to start focusing on more running and prepare for a 5k.  Does anybody want to join me as I start so we can talk about the program and how it is going for us?  I will run Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

• FinireLaCorsa Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    2. Dec 7, 2009 7:12 AM (in response to Jag92288)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

I started this morning, I'll be doing Monday, Wednesday, Friday. W1D1 felt like it went pretty well. I've never really run for fun before so I might be forced repeat a week later on, see how it goes. I don't feel tight or injured but I did feel a bit winded toward the end.  I was a little overdressed, it was 40 out and I went with pants, a jacket and a beanie. Might go with just shorts and jacket under similar conditions next time.  I was in decent shape most of my life, was in the military until 2 years ago and getting out saw me lose focus of heatlhy eating and exercise. When my wife took a job in Italy at the start of this year the food and wine along with being home alot has seen me baloon up to 225. My diets in check and I hope this program will round out my new plan. Looking forward to the next run already.

Travis

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    3. Dec 7, 2009 10:11 AM (in response to Jag92288)

HI, I started today, officially, but have been slow running for a week or so on the treadmill.

I found the timing awkward on the treadmill, and know I ran more than I should, but feel ok. I downloaded a great program on my iPhone - C25k and can't wait to try it Wednesday. It plays my playlist of music (VERY important for me) and then tells me when to run/walk. I've signed up for a Valentine's Weekend 5k - my goal is just to run the whole thing - time not important for this one.

• Jacsubi Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    4. Dec 8, 2009 8:15 AM (in response to Jag92288)

I just started yesterday, and plan on running M,W,F. yesterday seemed pretty easy, But it's probably best to follow the program as it is written. I am 21 years old, 6'0, 280 and have a very strong lineman physique. That will change eventually, since I am starting to be disgusted with always being the "big guy". Anyway, it would be great to have some people accountable for keeping with the program!

• buldgingbride2be Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    5. Dec 8, 2009 9:36 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Hey Jag!  Glad to see you are starting the program.  I started C25K on 11/28.  I will run W2D2 tonight.  I thought the first week was fairly easy, but I would get winded before the 20 minutes was up.  Thought W2D1 went really well.  I have NEVER been a runner and have been out of shape for some time now.  My biggest motivation to stick with it is hearing all the stories on here of people who have never ran, etc and are now finishing the programming and moving onto training for 10Ks.  Good luck!!

"Your past does not have to dictate your future."

10/28/09: Prior to starting C25K - 211#

11/30/09: First week of C25K - 210#

01/13/10: After W4D2 - 208#

01/19/10:  After W4D3 - 206.6#

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    6. Dec 8, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to Jag92288)

I started on Monday 12/7. I am just shy of 200 lbs and 5'10". I have started going to the rock climbing gym twice a week too. My question is about resting. Can I run one day and do rock climbing the next? I should finish the program the week before my 50th birthday. I have never run more than 3 miles at once (that happened once) in my entire life. I hope that this magic works. The first run was not bad, we have a cemetary in our neighnorhood that provided a nice space to run. I can walk there, run a lap inside and walk back and be on track for week one. I also downloaded an IPod app, but have not used it yet.

• AngelaSh Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    7. Dec 8, 2009 9:01 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Hello all,  I too started C25K this week.  Haven't run anywhere for twenty five years, not even for a bus.  My BMI puts me in the obese category so my poor knees are taking a bit of a battering.  Mon, Wed and Fri are my running days, 8am with pushchair and running mate, nothing like running with someone twenty years your junior to keep you on your toes.  Good luck to all.

• FinireLaCorsa Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    10. Dec 8, 2009 11:10 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Did W1D2 today, went a little better then day 1, probably do to more sleep and having a better idea which route to take. Legs felt a little tight still but it felt fine once I got going. I'm glad we got a few people doing this togther, really looking forward to seeing how everyone does and reading through people who are further along or have completed the program. It motivates me knowing I'm not the only one stepping out and trying something new.

• Jacsubi Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    11. Dec 9, 2009 11:59 AM (in response to FinireLaCorsa)

Did W1D2 today, and I can't complain too much except for some back pain. I'll bet that it's probably because of the extra weight. So, hopefully it will get better with plenty of rest and progression. I also looked at my running route on gmaps, and found the total run to be 1.4 miles for today's workout, does this sound roughly ballpark when your following C25K in week 1?

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    12. Dec 9, 2009 6:50 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Jim again. W1D2 tonight. The temperature tonight in Philly was warm enough to run in shorts. During my fnial 90s of walking, I actually found myself looking forward to the walking ending so taht I could run the last leg! While this is still looking forward to the end (a chronic attitude problem that I would like to change), the looking foward to a running leg at the end is new!

• AngelaSh Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    13. Dec 9, 2009 10:47 PM (in response to Jacsubi)

Hello Jacsubi Sounds about what I'm doing at the moment.  W1D3 and 2.1 km approx 1.3 m.  Really need to speed up if I'm ever going to manage 5k in a reasonable time frame. Still, I'm doing it.  That's what counts.

• tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    14. Dec 9, 2009 10:25 PM (in response to Jag92288)

I'm in.

I have completed W1D2 and will run on MWF.

The first few weeks should be OK for me as I have been a long distance walk-jogger for awhile but have always had trouble breaking through the 'full-running' wall.

I want to jog a 5K (and hopefully more) straight through in 2010 - so I'd like to get started now.

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...