Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4105 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2007 5:45 AM by Michael_Taylor
Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 11, 2007 10:54 PM

Interference in NLCS

There was an interference called in the seventh inning. The runner took the Rockies' SS out on the left side of the base. The second base ump called the interference which made the BR out, double play. Then he returned the R2 to second base. The manager was hot and the fans lost it. The Rockies were pulled off the field for 8 minutes due to battles being thrown on the field.

http://espn.go.com/

Michael S. Taylor

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Oct 15, 2007 4:49 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)
    Re: Interference in NLCS

No-brainer call, IMO. R1 clearly went beyond the bag in a rolling manner and then threw his arm up into F4's lower body to knock him down.  But there were two gaffes by the umpires on the play:

1. U2, who made the INT call, never killed play (at least he never gave the "Time" mechanic).  He simply pointed emphatically at the guilty runner, and then pointed and called the BR out.

2. None of the crew sent R2 back to second base initially.  It took the opposing manager's appeal to the PU to have the correction made.  If the opposing manager didn't know any better, I wonder if the umpires would've made the fix before the next pitch/play.

Manny

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Oct 15, 2007 5:10 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Re: Interference in NLCS

Good point on #1 Manny. That's the first time (that I've seen) where anyone has mentioned that.

I just have to wonder, If U2 would have killed the play before calling the batter-runner out, maybe your second point would have taken care of itself.

What I mean is; If U2 would have called time, at about the same time that R2 was reaching third, maybe it would have rung a bell in U3's head and he might have sent R2 back to second on his own. I guess we'll never know.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...