Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52935 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2011 11:08 PM by mick0007 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 11, 2009 12:17 PM (in response to GretaPRat)
    Re: Men in Tights!!!

I found they go over much better when you call them "Compression Pants" instead of tights.  LOL

I live in Michigan and do not wear them.  I wear Mizuno running pants and usually stay plenty warm in them but if this wind keeps up, I may reconsider switching over!  I don't see any problem with guys wearing them unless they purposely picked out pants that are waaaay too tight!  No one wants to see your junk! or your junk spilling out of the trunk! 

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

• LastPlaceJason Amateur 33 posts since
    Dec 11, 2008
    16. Dec 13, 2009 9:27 AM (in response to Snowman79)
  • DanMcCormack Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    17. Dec 13, 2009 12:28 PM (in response to Marc03820)

A couple of comments...first of all...my general rule is, tights when the temperature is below 48 degrees F...if it's right around that mark then it gets a bit tricky. In the rain I wear some loose fitting pants that won't bunch up at the knee. Above 48 I go with shorts. Below 21 degrees F, sweats are mandatory.

Second of all, tights are first of all performance wear. As a fashion statement they are way down on the list. I wear tights because I'm concerned about how I run, not what I look like. Frankly, if I'm racing or doing roadwork my concerns are how fast I'm going and can I pass the person in front of me. If my backside or frontside is sticking out, that's not something I care about. I wear whatever works and allows me to run the best I can.

In the past 10 years the best pair of tights I had were a silver pair that, I think, Reebok had been testing but that never made it to market. By the time I wore them out they were practically threadbare everywhere...but I pulled in some amazing splits wearing them.

Dan

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    18. Dec 13, 2009 4:34 PM (in response to Marc03820)

There's one VERY SIMPLE answer for everyone, men and women, thin or heavy, lumpy or smooth -- wear running shorts over the tights.  That way you aren't embarrassed and neither are the people that see you run.

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• xcisawesome Expert 50 posts since
    Aug 27, 2008
    19. Dec 13, 2009 8:05 PM (in response to Marc03820)

Well, being from the west coast, southern california, I just never needed running tights.  However, you do see guys in tights (and gloves) running around here.  I'm not sure why.  I use to do ocean swims too.  Back then we never wore wet-suits of any kind.  We just wore speedo's.  I went to a college in the mid-west (wisconsin) and ran cross country.  It was there I experienced first time wearing tights.  I didn't mind them.  It was freakin cold there plus all the "good runners" wore them so that made it okay.  I think I remember thinking I looked sexy in them lol, or was it I felt sexy?  Anyway, as the season got colder, I also wore shorts, tights, and sweats, the heavy duty kind.  A time or two I even wore these thick socks and plastic baggies over the socks to help keep my feet dry from snow and slush.  Then there was the head gear lol...  Yup, I thinks it's okay for runners, guys, to wear tights.

~ peace ~
  • DGL45 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2009
    20. Dec 14, 2009 5:14 PM (in response to Marc03820)

If by tights, you mean those skin tight bottoms, then no, they will not keep you warm in a Northeast winter.

I've been running in Ottawa Canada for over 20 years (second coldest and snowiest capital in the world after Moscow).

What you want are loose fitting running pants (my preferance is Sugoi, but many others make them now.) that allow you to layer for the very cold days.

On the colder days, put a base on the legs and then the running pants. This will keep you warm and dry (wick the sweat without freezing).

Skin tight tights are fine for Fall and Spring, but suck in winter.

• nmscuri Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Dec 14, 2009 5:40 PM (in response to Marc03820)

When I'm not running, I'm playing rugby.  Part of our year-round gear is compression shorts.  At least part of the idea behind it is that it helps keep the upper leg muscles warm, increasing performance and reducing recovery time.  Have any of you who wear compression gear to run found this to be true?

• spikedlatte Rookie 2 posts since
    May 24, 2009
    22. Dec 14, 2009 7:28 PM (in response to Marc03820)

I think a lot of useful stuff has been said here about tights but never realized, until now, that they improved performance. I use them for the cold, whenever the thermometer drops below 30. Even if you're comfortable with your body image, please by all means wear something over the tights. I've seen runners go commando with their tights and stop at Starbucks for a drink! If you're wearing them for insulation, then an extra layer will only help. I wear my Zoot running pants over CWX tights for real cold days.

Other favorite cold running gear include:

- plastic bags over socks for rainy days

- running gloves

- ear muffs

Oh, and watch where you step!

• CarlPruitt Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 18, 2009
    23. Dec 15, 2009 8:15 AM (in response to DanMcCormack)

Below 48 degrees! I must be "hot natured". I would burn up if I covered my legs before it got down into the 30s and I don't usually even think about covering them until it hits the 20s. I wear shorts and a t-shirt, no hat, no gloves anywhere in the 40s.

On the issue of the compression tights. Just as I don't wear weight belts when lifting weights because I believe the belt makes you weaker (just progress more slowly in your lifts and build a "natural" weight belt), I wouldn't use compression tights as a performance enhancer for most of my training. i might use them to help push the training to a higher level after I have built a substantial base. I would use them for very long races if the weather allowed. And if it were below 30 and raining, sleeting or snowing I would use tights to keep warm on a long run. Just because of the crowd I grew up around, I'd wear shorts over them.

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    25. Dec 16, 2009 11:14 AM (in response to Marc03820)

In temps are below 30 then I'll wear tights in a marathon.  They are especially helpful if it is windy.  I always wear shorts on top though.  One huge advantage is that I don't have to worry about inner thigh chaffing.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• RunTedRun Pro 58 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    26. Dec 17, 2009 7:43 PM (in response to Marc03820)

I'll play odd man out.  You will never, ever, catch me in them.     Even if I had the body (I mean you have to be ripped to even pull it off IMHO) I do not want to show off my package bouncing around to the whole world.  Seeing the occasional old guy in tight shorts or running tights with the big guts makes me cringe and think at the mid life crisis they should of gotten the corvette instead.  I guess if it was truely cold here I could see the shorts over tights, but why not wear a pair of non-tight running pants?  Just as warm and no chaffing issues with some under armor on.

I feel the same about the shortey running shorts too.  Never, ever, ever will you see them on me.  I can understand though if you were elite and had a shot at placing in a race and that kinda thing had an impact.  For the occasional recreational type it just makes me cringe when I see them running buy.

Now ladys please keep the running tights and short shorts going.  They look GREAT on you!!  And I will continue to be a gentlemen and do my bestest not to stare.

Am I a pig?  Yeah I guess.  BUT I'M AN HONEST ONE!

• ObieMunoz Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    27. Dec 19, 2009 9:58 AM (in response to RunTedRun)

I train for Triathlon and I wear Bike shorts which are tights... Many swimmers use swim jammers which are tights. I see nothing wrong with running in tights.

All Triathlon clothing is tight.

There's nothing wrong with it.

• LizLuvz2Run Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009
    28. Dec 22, 2009 3:19 PM (in response to Marc03820)

A little pricey, but if you have any knee issues, these are nice:  http://www.cw-x.com

Happy Running!

"Remember to save just enough to get back up the basement stairs."

• irvinet Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    29. Dec 24, 2009 11:26 AM (in response to Marc03820)

Maybe it's time to bring the cod-piece back into fashion!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...