Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1426 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2009 5:26 AM by tatiper RSS
tatiper Pro 84 posts since
Oct 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2009 5:26 AM

Training for Hyannis 10K in February... Advice?

Hello!

I completed the c25k program and ran 2 5Ks so far. Since I am afraid of leaving my running schedule up in the air and end up quitting again, I decided to train for a 10K. My long-term goal is to run a marathon, maybe in 2 years. My short term goal is to run the Hyannis 10K on Feb 28, 2010. http://www.hyannismarathon.com/

I am not looking for speed here, just endurance. I want to be able to run the 10k without stopping and, most importantly, without getting injured or extremely fatigued after crossing the finish line. I was planning on following Hal Higdon's 10K novice program, but ended up deciding on his Spring Training. It is a 12 week plan, with step-back weeks between each mileage increase, and it ends at 6 miles. http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm

I completed weeks 1 and 2, and I'm now working on week 3. My longest run so far has been 3.5m, which I finished in pretty good shape. I felt like I could've kept on going and was able to have a day full of activities after completing it. I like how the increases in mileage are very gradual and the step-back weeks let you recover and gather your strength for the next one. From my browsing of the forums here, it seems that most people just want to go too fast and start running 6 miles right away. This seems dangerous to me, considering the number of posts about people getting injured...

Here are my challenges, though. It's getting pretty cold here in Mass. So far, I have been able to deal with it by dressing warmly, doing my warm-up/cool-down indoors (I start walking on the treadmill and run out the door), and staying focused. However, I am sure there will come a point when it will just be way too cold for outdoor running. Either that or there will be no daylight for my run in the morning, before work. In any case, I know I'll need to run on the treadmill, and I simply can't. For some reason, I just can't run more than 1 mile straight on the TM. I get so tired, sweaty, and breathless, that I just have to stop and walk. Because of this problem, when I run indoors I need to use intervals of walking/running to get through the mileage. I had to do this once, and I used PodRunner Intervals' Freeway to 10K program. Those are designed by Coach Hadfield and are supposed to get you to running 1 hour straight, but of course, they are totally different from the Hal Higdon's program I am using to run outside...

So, do you think the plan I'm following is good enough to get me through the winter and ready for this upcoming race? In an ideal world, I would find a plan that tells me what to do for cross-training, strength-training, stretching, and TM runs - for free - but I think the best I can do is to mash up different ones and come up with my own plan. I am still not sure what to do for strength training. I really want to do it, but I don't know how and I don't have any equipment except for 2 3lb dumbbells.

Any advice you can relay will be greatly appreciated. If you have any personal experience or any ideas about how to create the perfect running plan for me, I will be thrilled and thankful.

Tatiana

1st Annual 1st Run 5K (01/01/2010): 31:34

Beverly Reindeer Run 5K (12/05/2009): 31:52

Feaster Five 5K (11/26/2009): 34:53

C25K graduation run 11/11/2009

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points