Skip navigation

6649 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 1:39 PM by Swim the World RSS
JakeHCoker Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2009 9:48 PM

Fundraisers/ events

I'm looking for any kind of fundraiser or event in swimming that will either support a good cause. Or just something that can make me feel like I accomplished something. I'm preferably looking for something near Arkansas, but might be willing to travel a bit for it. If anyone could help me out I'd really appriciate it.

• Gerry Oakes Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    1. Dec 28, 2009 2:07 PM (in response to JakeHCoker)
    Re: Fundraisers/ events

Jake,

I'm from Swim Across America. We conduct swimming events Across America to raise funds to fight cancer. We have mostly a summer event schedule, but we do have a bunch of pool swims scheduled for Feb 14, in honor of legendary College and Olympic Coach Richard Quick who lost a battle to brain cancer earlier in 2009.  That day we hope to have events at SMU in Texas as well as Univ Auburn in Ala. , both programs where Coach Quick spent many years.

Checkout our web www.swimacrossamerica.org for more info. It's not fully updated for 2010, but you'll get the gist. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Gerry Oakes

VP Swim Across America,Inc.

• Swim the World Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    2. Aug 31, 2010 1:39 PM (in response to JakeHCoker)
    Re: Fundraisers/ events

It would be a long trip for you, but a great upcoming event in the San Francisco Bay Area is the RCP Tiburon Mile (www.rcptiburonmile.com) which donates all proceeds (after paying for race expenses) to the non-profit organization Hospice by the Bay.

It's a 2,000 yard (1.15 mile) swim from Angel Island in the middle of San Francisco Bay to the beautiful Marin County town of Tiburon.  They take you to the island on a ferry and you swim back to land basically following the ferry's route.  It's extremely well organized, and the scenery is beyond compare.  If you have time to look up from swimming to your left, you can see the Golden Gate bridge and San francisco Skyline, and to your right the mountains and green space of Marin.  Then they serve a great lunch provided by local upscale restaurants.

This year's event is on October 17, 2010.  If you register by September 3, it's a little less expensive.  Last year, my friend's father-in-law came all the way from West Virginia and he was the fasted swimmer in the over-70 age group.

That may be too far for you, but I just wanted you to be aware of the opportunity since it is for a charitable cause, which you asked about in your message.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points