Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5996 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2010 7:48 AM by JillieHJ RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • owl541 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009

I'm OK with walking. I take the bus and subway so I have to walk a fair bit. And usually if where I'm going is just one or two stops away I'll walk instead. So no problem walking for me. It's been 2 days since trying W1D1. Ankle soreness has subsided a lot. Plan to have another go today. Let see how long I last.

Good luck with the walking, though.

• JillieHJ Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009

I plan to start the program tomorrow. Reading the Nov 16 thread has been very inspriational. I have been walking/ running for a few weeks already - about 3 miles 3 x a week - but I'm hoping a properly organized program and support will really help me make some real progress. This thread will also help keep me accountable. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I'd like to be, so losing some of that would be nice, but my real plan is to be able to participate in a 10K some time in 2010... so a 5K would be a great start!

I plan to do the program Tues, Thurs and Sats, plus other stuff inbetween - not sure what yet.

What are everyone's esle's goals?

Dec 30, 2009

Owl and Jennifer, are you ladies training outside? If so, the surface you are walking / running on might be contributing to your ankle and shin pain. I had the same problem a couple of weeks back and was advised to change from using the concrete paths to grass or black top instead (or a track if you have access to one). They are much softer surfaces and cause less of a shock. I also found investing in proper fitting running shoes for my supinating feet a huge improvement - I went with Asics - you'll be amazed at the difference! Good luck, keep going...

• Spingirl1961 Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009

I hear everyone on the ankle and shin pain. I run on asphalt, and I do a brisk walk to warm up, but those first few steps running are killers! I keep hoping it will get better.

Today was my first run since Friday, because it was too cold Monday. I can feel the difference--it was really hard today. I may have to break down and start using an indoor track on the really cold days. I hate to do that because the time and gas spent to get there, but I need to run at least 3 times a week, and that may be my only option some days.

Dec 27, 2009

@Spingirl: It's interesting that your ankle and shin pain start at the beginning of your run and then lessens. Mine's the opposite. It gets worse and I end up really pounding the asphalt 'cos I can't control my feet. You could probably hear me coming a mile away. LOL. I just hope I'm not disturbing the neighbors.

So that's 3 runs for me this week. Only managed to do 4 rounds of running-walking out of the 8 rounds per workout before giving in to the pain. At this rate the 9 week program will most likely end up being a 20 week program. I do see an improvement, though, even if I my distance isn't increasing. Better recovery rate in between runs and hobbling back home takes less time. Progress! Just have to keep at it, I suppose.

How's everyone else doing?

Dec 30, 2009

Hi everyone, happy new year! I suppose committing to doing a couple of workouts around the New Year festivities was a bit ambitious lol, but I now have W1D1 behind me and.... it wasn't too bad! I'm really glad I've been out waddling by myself for a few weeks, that's the only reason I can say "not too bad". Has anyone else downloaded one of the music files available out there? I am using the one created by Podrunner which I found on the C25K.com site, and it's really great because it does all of the timing/ thinking for you. All you have to do is follow the instructions. Perfect! My friends are twisting my arm to do a 5K in April, so I now have a proper goal to aim for. How is everyone else doing?

Dec 30, 2009

Hi Owl541, yes, just keep going! No matter if you can't do it all at the beginning, it's all about going at your own pace and making a little progress each time. I've never subscribed to that "no pain, no gain" rubbish. Good luck!

Dec 27, 2009

Thanks for the encouragement, JillieHJ. Bad week for me, though. Down with food poisoning. Only managed to hit the asphalt once this week.

How's everyone else doing? This thread seems quiet now.

@MisCris1: How's the new job?

• Spingirl1961 Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009

I ran yesterday for the first time since New Year's Day. Our grandson was born on Monday, so there were a couple of days of All Baby All The Time. Once I'd recovered from that, we got a bunch of snow dumped on us, and that, along with super-cold temps kept me in.

I really need to start using the podcast so I can know for sure what day I'm on for C25K, but by the time I get all my gear on, I don't feel like bothering with it. So I'm with y'all in spirit, just not exactly what the program calls for!

Dec 30, 2009

I've had some bumps in the road too - traveling for business etc, and although I did take my work out gear with me (a first!) I didn't get the time needed to use it. I'm starting over with Wk1 to back get into it. Maybe not this week though, as my little dog is very ill and I'm not feeling it :-(

Keep going everyone, you're an inspiration...

Dec 30, 2009

Oops Spingirl, I forgot to say congrats on your new grandson! How lovely!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points