Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5742 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2009 3:21 PM by mt232 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
ModernMaven Pro 135 posts since
Jun 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2009 11:47 AM

Very Important Subject:  SNOT!

Yeah, so I am a serious critic of those around us who 'hock loogies,' 'dig for gold' or even spit in public.  The one thing I had seen people, particularly men, do in the past in public was the 'snot rocket.'  So, so vile.

Now that I am running outside in the cold, I am starting to embrace the idea of the snot rocket.  I know, I know.  Gross, unsanitary perhaps?  But what are you supposed to do while running and you nose is running faster than you are?

My friends who are long time runners told me this day was coming.  I try to at least be discreet about it... I mean, a 35 year old mother of two doing this is not very lady like.

Do you embrace the snot rocket?  Or do you carry tissues and stop every half mile?

COUCH TO 5K GRADUATE- JULY 2009

08/15/2009-  Patrick Joyce Scholarship Run 5K (Lakewood, OH)  30:00

08/29/2009- Outrun Ovarian Cancer OROC 5K (Cleveland, OH)    28:50

09/12/2009- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland, OH) 30:08

10/17/2009- Mid Town Classic 5K (Cleveland)  30:15

05/02/2010- Lakewood Hospital Ambulance Chase 5K 27:45

09/11/2010- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland) 28:50

10/10/2010- Towpath Half Marathon (Cleveland) 2:16:28

10/23/2010- Army Ten Miler (DC) 1:42:12

03/12/2011- St Malachi 5 Miler  45:50

04/23/2011- Run for Cover 10K (Dallas, TX) 58:18

04/23/2011- Cleveland 10 Miler 1:34

05/15/2011- Cleveland Rite Aid Half Marathon 2:05

07/05/2011- Warrior Dash Ohio 36:40

08/06/2011- Gazebo Gallop 5k 26:20 PR!!

08/14/2011- Run Jane Run 10K 57:40 PR!!

08/20/2011- OROC 5K 26:15 PR!!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    1. Dec 20, 2009 4:28 PM (in response to ModernMaven)
    Re: Very Important Subject: SNOT!

Absolutely!  Snot rocket away.  And I spit too!  Gotten quite good at both (my son would be proud) Good thing I run when its still dark out...don't know if I'd be quite so quick to do either if I knew that I could be seen by the neighbors.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2. Dec 20, 2009 5:00 PM (in response to cyndi t)

LOL - funny topic - I have not really thought about it until I recently read an article in Runner's World.  They were talking about runner's ettiquette - one specifically was the "snot rocket" (aka The Farmer's Blow).  Believe it or not, they went into detail on how to do it.

Anyway, I think with some of my sinus issues and the cold weather, I will have to do it.  The blowing while running just does not work, I have tried! 

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• 96Yankees Expert 59 posts since
    Nov 15, 2009
    3. Dec 20, 2009 7:03 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

I have no shame when I run.  Although I'm not a fan of the snot rocket ( I get more on myself than I do on the ground), I'm not averse to doing it.  A better question is: Do you belch or fart while you run?  I know I do.  Once I hit the road, all bets on etiquette are off.  Thank goodness I don't usually run in highly populated areas.

2009 Richmond Marathon 4:08:24

2009 VMI 5k 23:18

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    4. Dec 21, 2009 6:34 AM (in response to ModernMaven)

I'm a snotter and spitter I admit it.  Over time I have gone from the secret discrete spit when no ones around to blatant  snotting crossing traffic.  But the worst is the limp spit that lands back on your clothes and you forget about it.  Happened Saturday, I had to stop at a store after the run and forgot until I got home and looked in the mirror.  That was sooo bad.    Soooo very very bad.   

• Runnerndn Expert 45 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009
    5. Dec 22, 2009 11:27 AM (in response to Urbster)

that's what those long sleeves are good for, cover up a cough, and wipe your nose, haha.  Well, I seen a few runners who carry snot rags, just tuck em the side of your shorts, whatever suits u best, .

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    6. Dec 22, 2009 12:10 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

Stuff your pockets with tissues or a hanky and learn to blow your nose while running.  It just takes a little practice and you don't have to stop to do it.  Snot rockets are just revolting and unnecessary.  Buy cheapo gloves that you can wear over better gloves to throw in the washer after your run, and wipe your nose with them.  I will spit on the SIDE of the road if I'm alone, but never with others, and never in a race.

It's little things like snot rockets that give runners a bad name.

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• Love2Run4Me Legend 273 posts since
    Oct 9, 2009
    7. Dec 22, 2009 12:13 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

You gotta do what you gotta do.  And yes, all bet on etiquette are off while running (at least when there’s no one around)!  I had my first snot rocket (did I say that right?) 2 weeks ago and it was quite liberating!  And yes, I spit!  Oh, if only my mother knew

10/10/09  Lake Joe Pool Pumpkin Run 5K - 33:15

11/26/09  Dallas Turkey Trot 5K - 30:35

02/14/10 Austin Half Marathon - 2:12:25

03/13/10 Dash Down Greenville 5K - 29:27

• 96Yankees Expert 59 posts since
    Nov 15, 2009
    8. Dec 22, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

I wasn't aware that runners had a bad name.  If we do, it's doubtful that the source is the occasional snot rocket or spit.  After all, how many casual observers are lucky enough to have the opportunity to witness enough of this nastiness to form a negative opinion of such a large class of people?

Now, if the byprodcut of your mucous membranes happens to land on a person or car, that's just nasty.  Please aim carefully.

2009 Richmond Marathon 4:08:24

2009 VMI 5k 23:18

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    9. Dec 22, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to Love2Run4Me)

Maven,

I live in a cold-weather area (Boston) as do you.  In my experience it's impossible to run in the winter and not get loaded up with snot.  It just comes with the territory.  When I'm on my own I just let loose whenever I need to though I always check to make sure no one is coming up behind me.

In a big race, it can be a real issue and I try to work my way to the side of the road so I don't hose somebody.  That would indeed be gross!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    10. Dec 22, 2009 1:04 PM (in response to kimc921)

Kim,

When you start logging in some serious miles, the hanky goes out the window.  When I'm in the zone, really working the endurance miles in my neighborhood (in the dark I might add), the last thing I'm really thinking about is "oh  my, where's my hanky".  The snot flies, the spit flies and that's just the way it goes.  For those people who are watching, well, if they watch me run a 15 mile long run, they've seen it all including my removing layers of clothes as I run.  They know I run alot and think I'm nuts as it is.  As for runners having a bad name, if that means that being fit, athletic, in the best shape of my life, and enjoying an activity that gives me immense pleasure is a bad name, then so be it.  Those people who feel that way are not very important to me anyway! And that confidence I might add, comes from running!

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    11. Dec 22, 2009 1:09 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

Maven asked if we embrace the snot rocket.  I was giving my honest opinion and appreciate the fact that we are all able to do so. 

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    12. Dec 22, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

Hate to be gross as I think like you sometimes in terms of lady like but I am going to get real, I don't think anyone should be too worried about "lady like" in a sport where let's face it I've seen some stuff far more disgusting in terms of bodily functions both at the beginning and at the end of marathons, trust me.  Let's just say some people really don't believe in stopping or in port-a-potties or even shrubs/trees in some cases.  I don't think you should be too worried about spitting or snot rockets, I think everyone who runs understands the need to do it.  I will admit myself to hock up some loogies every now and then or to spitting out my used gatorade on the ground... I don't tend to gold mine or snot rocket as you so aptly put it, but have no fear of spitting.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    13. Dec 22, 2009 4:53 PM (in response to 96Yankees)

LOL, I do both sometimes... like you usually not in very public areas, but if I am I ususally try to excuse myself...

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    14. Dec 22, 2009 7:00 PM (in response to Runnergal262)

HA this has gotten interesting, okay first Cyndi that was a very cool post, then runnergal brought up something else which I admit I myself duck behind a tree on occasion and the fear of being caught is slowly less a concern (as long as I'm not arrested) so nasal fluids have now pretty much lost any importance to me. 

We're athletes we do what we have to do....queue Queen  We are the Champions.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...