Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1869 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2009 9:52 AM by kbubb91 RSS
jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2009 11:31 AM

Breathing cold air

I'm not used to being outside in the cold, but I want to be able to run outside, and Dallas doesn't usually get really cold anyway. So until I'm more used to it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover my mouth and nose for part of my run when sucking cold air just makes it hard to continue, even through the rest of my body is fine?  I tried a turtleneck, but it gets hot, and so I'm thinking something like a bandana might work, but was wondering if there was any kind of specific material that would be good for this function....

• Love2Run4Me Legend 273 posts since
    Oct 9, 2009
    1. Dec 21, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to jenniferbaker)
    Re: Breathing cold air

I live in Dallas as well, so I know where you’re coming from.  Someone once suggested wearing a scarf and putting it around your nose and mouth.  Haven’t tried it yet (gotten lucky – the really cold days were scheduled rest days for me), but I know I will on my next really cold run.  Plus, you won’t look like you’re about to rob someone!

10/10/09  Lake Joe Pool Pumpkin Run 5K - 33:15

11/26/09  Dallas Turkey Trot 5K - 30:35

02/14/10 Austin Half Marathon - 2:12:25

03/13/10 Dash Down Greenville 5K - 29:27

• TriLikeAGirl Amateur 6 posts since
    Oct 31, 2008
    2. Dec 21, 2009 1:18 PM (in response to jenniferbaker)

I live in Minnesota and have been running outside this winter - I've found a couple things that work:  I have a neck gaiter from REI that is a fleece like material that has a drawstring on it, so when i need it to be a little looser or tighter I can adjust it that way...the problem is the moisture from my breathing builds up and you end up with a frosty face.  The other thing I used was a nylon type bandana that can be adjusted to loosely cover my mouth, but since its so thin it doesn't block the cold air as much.  I guess my best suggestion is keep running outside and you'll get used to the cooler temps.  I've managed this year down to 10 degrees and with a good hat, pair of gloves, wind stopper pants and very reflective jacket, it's been working out great.

• JZTAGRL Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    4. Dec 22, 2009 9:27 AM (in response to jenniferbaker)

Thanks for the tips!  I thought something was wrong when I tried to go for a run the other night.  It was in the mid 40's and my lungs felt like they were on fire!

• kbubb91 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 20, 2009
    5. Dec 22, 2009 9:52 AM (in response to jenniferbaker)

I also have struggled when the weather dropped. The best advice i can give you is to drink almost 2 liters of water before you run the race. Not at the start line, but through out the day. Even though it doesn't seem like it, the cold air is dehydrating you almost the same as an 80 degree day, this is talking in 32 degrees. I learned this the hard way a while back in a 10k race in the winter. After the first mile I had trouble breathing and by the end of the race i almost passed out. If your getting a taste of blood in the back of your throat (this only relates to temperatures below 40), then that means your dehydrated. Your not actually bleeding but its a sign i picked up when running in the cold. Every time i had difficults breathing, that taste would come back. Maybe this is not the advice you were looking for but i thought that my experience could help a new runner or other runners reading this. Dehydration happens more often in the winter then in the summer, you need to drink a lot

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points