Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3376 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2010 1:03 PM by bostonwolf RSS
bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
Dec 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2009 12:48 PM

Cold Weather Jacket.

Hi all.  I just started running again and given that I'm in New England that means running in the cold.  I'm looking for a good jacket that will keep me warm without going overboard.  Right now I'm just layering a Brooks or UA thermal shirt with a t-shirt and fleece and that's working, but it can get pretty windy where I am and that combo offers no protection from wind at all.

I'm leaning towards the RSS Gore Tex storm jacket but am wondering what other options are out there (I can't seem to find many on the web)

thanks in advance,

Jeff

• Clive Fenster Legend 316 posts since
    Sep 7, 2009
    1. Dec 25, 2009 10:58 PM (in response to bostonwolf)
    Re: Cold Weather Jacket.

I have an ASICS Storm Shelter jacket (about $88).  Nice fit, everything works fine, and it looks well-constructed.  It's been waterproof (as advertised) in light rain, although I haven't tested it yet in a downpour.

I've layered a ColdGear-type top under it down to ~25* and been fine.  This jacket was recommended to me by a friend in Minneapolis, who said his has been waterproof and warm (with proper layers) even in his winter climate.

• Jeff@5430 Amateur 17 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    2. Dec 26, 2009 8:28 AM (in response to Clive Fenster)

More important than the jacket, is how you layer underneath it. Even the most breathable waterproof jacket can't handle the amount moisture you create from sweating when running.

To keep yourself dry, you need a thin wicking layer next to your skin, and a layer on top of that (usually some layer of fleece of appropriate thickness based on the temperature). That will suck the moisture away from your body. Then, even if the jacket is not breathable enough to remove all the moisture (I haven't found one that is up to the task on a hard run), your body will stay dry.

• Krissie Westenberger-O'Grady Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    4. Dec 30, 2009 1:43 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

I'm not sure which Brooks jacket you had, but I have the Wanganui jacket from Brooks and I have run in degrees approaching 0F and been warm. The outside is wind-resistant but also has areas where venting is important, like under the arms and on the back. It is lightweight which is important to me, I hate feeling overdressed.  I layer under it as mentioned here with a thinner "core" piece and then if needed, a fleece vest (fleece only when getting into single digits, that is warm stuff). Otherwise, another layer over the core piece.  You mentioned a T-shirt in your post, definately NOT cotton...cotton is rotten!

Definately 30F is relatively warm so I am not surprised you're overheated in that jacket you bought.  I have worn even my jacket in the 30s and been too warm, but I run very hot.  You might want to try the Wanganui on www.brooksrunning.com They also make mittens and tights in the same material known by the same name.  Good luck!

Krissie

• dclass Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 29, 2007
    5. Jan 4, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

Jeff,

On colder days, I like a light weight fleece vest. This keeps the core warm, but not too warm. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and rain, rather than cold is the main element to deal with. I have yet to find a jacket that keeps me dry, but not too warm.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...