Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

174851 Views 796 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2014 4:31 PM by shipo Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 54 Previous Next
  • sarapaige05 Amateur 30 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 27, 2009 1:58 PM (in response to msnwoods)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

i start tomorrow!!! who's with me?!!! We can do it! I am overweight, but i know i can do it!! xoxoxoxo

"The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time." -Abraham Lincoln

Started C25K Dec.28th- starting weight: 227

Weight lost as of 2/13/10:  17 pounds!!

The good thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.- Abraham Lincoln

First 5K ever is: Lake Erie Poker Run 5K April 17, 2010

• msnwoods Amateur 31 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009

Sara, I am with you, I start first thing in the morning, I know it's only 4:10pm, here but I think I'll get started on my gym bag...curling iron, towel, things I'll need to shower at the gym before work.....I'll be on week 1 day 1.....on the jogging part, it's at your limit don't you think? I can just see myself careening off that darn thing, I have visions of Jillian from Biggest Loser screaming at me, and let me tell you that's not encouraging - LOLLLL

Someone is always doing, what someone else said couldn't be done. 
  • cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    17. Dec 27, 2009 2:17 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I'm gonna be honest here...when I first started my journey I didn't do it for weight loss...after gaining and losing hundreds (and I'm serious on this, I was a chronic dieter) of pounds over the years, I had, at 44, finally resolved myself to the fact that I was going to be a large size woman (I was 235 pounds).  I was cool with that...I needed to stop hating myself every day.  So large it was...and that was ok by me.  Then my son needed my help and I did what mom's do, I helped him.  He had terrible endurance which he needed big time for his karate test so we, together, started running slowly...we started with like 1/2 a mile and we just didn't stop...we did that for a week until we upped the distance.  That went on for about 6 weeks (we started the first week of july and his test was in late august 2008).  He passed the test thanks in part to his endurance increase and I signed up for my first 5K so that I would have a short term goal to keep going.  By this time I was running 5 days a week probably about 2 miles a day....I'd increase my mileage every Sunday...by a telephone pole distance (I've always run loops in my neighborhood).  By the time my 5K came up in the end of September 2008 I was totally hooked and running about 4 miles 5 times a week.  Still not a whole lot of weight loss but I felt in control and did lose some weight.  I kept running and ran another 5K before winter set in, there are no races in NJ in winter.  I kep running through the winter sigining up for the first race I would in April. I found during this time, that I really liked pushing myself.  I liked sweating and breathing heavy and feeling engaged in my body...I never followed a diet, I just ate healthy cause I ran better when I ate that way.  I fueled my body to run.  Healthy, low fat, high protein, and smart carbs...not a lot of junk (but if I felt like a treat I'd have it..if the calories I'd consume were worth wasting that morings run on, then I'd eat it..sometimes, yes, mostly no).  By April 2009 I decided to run a half marathon....and then it was game on!  I found a passion for long runs...I really really like to run long..I'm not very fast but that's ok...I run lots of miles and it amazes me that this former fat chick can run 10+ miles....it amazes me every time.  I ran my first HM in October this year and promptly signed up for another....I use racing to motivate me to continue...I'm not very good at it but I like to have a focus to my runs...a goal to work towards.  My first HM was just to finish, this one is to finish 30 minutes faster.  I'm sharing this with you so you can see that you too can, with time, work and determination, accomplish your goal...its a lifestyle...not a diet.  I finally feel like I've found that thing I've been looking for...the key to my health at my age...I'll never look back...I feel to damn good.  I only hope that my words can inspire  you to go outside your comfort zone...that area that got you to where you are now...its now working for you anymore....come to active, find a group that supports you...there are so many, post often, take comfort in knowing that there are so many that have been where you are and are here to help you get to where you want to be!  I've found so many people on this site that are wonderfully supportive, full of advice and will answer all of the dumb newbie questions that we all have.   Good luck!

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• sarapaige05 Amateur 30 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    18. Dec 27, 2009 2:54 PM (in response to cyndi t)

i will start tomorrow too! either on my dirt roads or at the local track. it's suppossed to snow like crazy here, but needs to be started. and cyndi, your words are truly inspiring, thank you!

Started C25K Dec.28th- starting weight: 227

Weight lost as of 2/13/10:  17 pounds!!

The good thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.- Abraham Lincoln

First 5K ever is: Lake Erie Poker Run 5K April 17, 2010

• tatiper Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 21, 2009
    19. Dec 27, 2009 3:03 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi there!

Congratulations on your decision to get started! I am confident you can do it if you really set your mind to it. I think all of you guys are amazing for starting this program at 200+ and this sheer determination will carry you through if you stick to a plan.

I think it's really great that you are taking this first step. However, I would insert a word of caution here. If you haven't had a checkup in a while, do so before you start trying to run more than a few minutes at a time. Make sure it is safe for you to do it. You can also try a different approach that will get you ready to start running, and that is walking/jogging for 30 days. Hal Higdon's approach is called the 30/30 plan and it's designed to get you to a point of fitness to start running without risking your health. You walk/jog for 30 minutes everyday for 30 days, and then you'll be ready to start training for a 5k. Here's the link: http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/plan.htm

Whatever you choose to do, try to run outside if you can. Be sure that other runners will never look at you in a judgmental way and really, who cares what non-runners think?!? In my opinion, running outside is better because you don't know your speed. When training on the TM you have to make a decision about your pace in your first day of running, and if you pick anything too fast you will end up quitting. If you pick anything too low you'll feel like you're not "really running" and so on. When you're outside, you just do what your body tells you and you'll never start off at a pace that you can't sustain.

Good luck!

1st Annual 1st Run 5K (01/01/2010): 31:34

Beverly Reindeer Run 5K (12/05/2009): 31:52

Feaster Five 5K (11/26/2009): 34:53

C25K graduation run 11/11/2009

• cag56 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    21. Dec 27, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi Guys,

I'm going to start tomorrow too. However being in Australia tomorrow is Tuesday. I'm a plus size too and have been walking just under 2Ks each week day morning before work for 10 weeks. I feel fab but haven't walked the last week due to christmas and am feeling that old yucky ate too much feeling again.

Got out again yesterday and today and suddenly remembered a friend mentioning the couch to 5 k site and that once I'd got into walking I should try it. walking is great but I do know my friend seemed to loose heaps more and faster when she was running, especially off her backside! Plus I too have always watched enviously as those runners steak by. I just completed the Sussan 5 k funrun for breast cancer where you could walk or run and after completing it I decided next year I will run it. So I'm all set to begin tomorrow.

Wishing us all luck!

• MegMc528 Amateur 27 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    23. Dec 27, 2009 6:16 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi to everyone! I completely understand feeling self conscious about running - I am overweight, out of shape and started C25K on Dec 1. Started off running on the boardwalk (makes sense - start an exercise program outside in the winter when I'm both lazy and hate the cold lol). Would run at 9 at night - no one around. My first night, felt kinda stupid with the run-walk-run thing plus ready to collapse. I passed a guy (during a walk) walking his dog and he made the "hurry up" motion to me. Apparently he had seen me running and wondered why I was walking. I stopped, pulled out my iPod and said (laughing/gasping) - cut me some slack - I just started! He said - good for you! and every time he sees me now I get a double thumbs up.

I overcame my fear of the treadmill - with the snow we've had here I knew I had to find someplace to jog until it melts. And although I may never be the most graceful runner in the world - at least I'm running! And so are you!!!! So that puts us (and everyone else on this board) way ahead of about 95% of people:-)

Starting Week 4 tomorrow - so grateful a friend told me about the program - and bought some workout DVDs today for use in non-run days.

Good luck!!

Avon Day 5K 6/5/10- 41:12

Asbury Boardwalk 5K - 9/25/10

This is just the beginning....

My slowest run time is still better than my best sit-on-the-couch time!

Meg

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill

• MegMc528 Amateur 27 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    24. Dec 27, 2009 6:19 PM (in response to NICURN09)

If you have an iTouch/iPhone there's an app for C25K. Or use a stopwatch - my Dad did - he's starting C25K in two weeks when he goes to Hilton Head for the winter. And yes - have to have music!

Avon Day 5K 6/5/10- 41:12

Asbury Boardwalk 5K - 9/25/10

This is just the beginning....

My slowest run time is still better than my best sit-on-the-couch time!

Meg

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill

• Ann Adair Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    25. Dec 27, 2009 6:27 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Congratulations for getting out there! I'll second what many other people have said here about doing it for yourself and forget about what anyone else thinks. On Sept. 1, 2009, I was 350 pounds. Since then, I've run/walked FOUR - 5k races and am under 300 pounds. I also started fencing. I did have to have a custom jacket made for fencing, but my coach was encouraging and said, "None of us are getting any younger!" I have really taken that to heart, and am doing all the things I've always wanted to do.

In 2010, I've already got a few 5ks on my schedule as well as a half marathon in October. I'm also shopping for a sprint triathlon to tackle towards the end of the year!

The biggest thing that has helped me remain injury-free has been starting slow and specific. I do have a personal trainer 2-3x/week, too. The investment has been well worth it. As far as running goes, I started by jogging from 1 mailbox to the next, then walking. I'd run/jog another mailbox, then recover. I can now jog almost 1/2 mile without a walk break and I'm nearly 300 pounds. I look forward to the day when I can run a mile without stopping. That will be a day of huge celebration!!!

Don't worry about what people think. Just know that you are getting out there and doing something. Take it slow in the beginning to avoid shin splints and other pesky injuries! Best of luck!

Ann

• BIGD74 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 23, 2009
    26. Dec 27, 2009 7:16 PM (in response to NICURN09)

http://aquestionofperspective.com/c25k/

This is a nice pod cast with good music a verbal ques when to run and walk.

• mxcnprincs Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    27. Dec 28, 2009 2:24 AM (in response to NICURN09)

I don't know where you live but I train with a group called the Run-away-club in San Antonio.  I started as a walker and ran most of the half marathon last nov in San Antonio.  I'm having surgery this morning so I haven't been training lately but John Purnell is the trainer and he would be an excelllent person to talk to about getting started with a group and changing into running mode.  You can check out his website for more info at www.runawayclub.com  He works with people of all talents.  I weighed 300 pound at one time and started walking when I had gastric bypass surgery so my exercise journey started when I was heavier.  I now weigh 130 however I have the problems of a once heavier person. I hope this info helps

• msnwoods Amateur 31 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    28. Dec 28, 2009 4:30 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Good Morning....I'm taking enough time to report that I did it!

It wasn't pretty, I deeply resented the folks that got on the treadmill right next to me and ran and talked and even laughed the whole time....LOLLLL until I figured out....they were just doing what they do....and I decided to just do me.

I also re-read the instructions before I left the house this morning, and that helped me to understand that there was no fast or too slow, there was just me getting started, and I figured I could do that.

Oh, by the way, the packing the gym bag, and all that other stuff, fell be the wayside when I actually got out of bed this morning.

I politely put on the coffee pot, put on my gym clothes, grabbed my driver's liscense and gym pass, and drove to the closest gym to me, got it done, threw in some leg thingeys....I forget now what it's called, grabbed my sweater and came back home, to shower and change.

Maybe later this week, or next week I'll have it together enough to go the gym closer to work and shower and change there....for now, it was enough I got my lazy patootie out of bed....

Oh, I know what to do - it's the doing of it.

Thanks y'all....I'll check back in later, now it's up to you guys.....LOLLLLL

Done in Houston.

Someone is always doing, what someone else said couldn't be done. 
  • mxcnprincs Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    29. Dec 28, 2009 4:58 AM (in response to msnwoods)

I wanted to say earlier Congratulations.  You did "Do It" I also started in the same place you did.  I surgery isn't cosmetic and I still have many health issues.  Having weighed 300 pounds, I understand.  My max weight at one time was 375 pounds.  I started at the gym also but sometimes just getting outside for 5 minutes out and 5 minutes back is the biggest challenge my physicians taught me.  That was how I trained after my surgery.

1 2 3 4 ... 54 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...