Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

168036 Views 794 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2014 6:14 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 53 Previous Next
  • Bupp75 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 28, 2009 7:00 AM (in response to NICURN09)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Saw you post and it spoke right to me. I'm (gonna be) 35, and am 250+. I have multiple (minor) health issues that most could be resolved with weight loss. In high school I was an accomplished runner and after graduation just became lazy. I am a person that needs something to look forward to. I set my New Years resolution (although I've already started) as being to run a 10 mile road race. I've purchased a treadmill (just so I don't have an excuse on bad weather or feeling especially "fat days.") I live in Philadelphia and had originally thought that I would do the Broad Street Run in May, but I don't think that I would be up to 10 miles in 5 months. So my goal for this coming year is the Army 10 Miler in DC, in October. 10 months. A mile more each month..... sounds reasonable, right. Any tips or encouragement welcome!!!  Good luck to all!

Happy New Year!

Bessie

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    32. Dec 28, 2009 9:19 AM (in response to NICURN09)

NICURN,

Good to see that you are ready to go for it.  I run outside all of the time, and I listen to my Ipod.  On Itunes you can download podcasts or applications specifically geared to the C25K program that will give you cues of when to warm up, run, walk, and cool down.  I found them very helpful.  I'm sure if you don't specifically have an Ipod, there are similar podcasts out there that you can use.

Just be aware, if you run on the road and using an MP3 player, the most important thing is safety-either use only one earphone, or keep the volume low enough that you can listen for traffic and other obstacles.

Good luck to you all on starting your journeys!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    33. Dec 28, 2009 9:54 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Nicurn,

Congrats on your run today!  That is so awesome and you should be very proud of yourself.  Yes, I run with my Ipod...I don't run with a pod cast like another poster mentioned.  I have my own mix of music that I listen to, some slow tempo, some fast tempo, depending on the type of run I'm doing and the pace I want to maintain.  I do listen to is low and sometimes with only 1 ear bud.  I run in my neighborhood in the very early am so I don't have as big of a risk of car traffic but I have been snuck up on unexpected things so I do try to keep the tunes low.  Keep up the great work!

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Suelikestoblog Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    34. Dec 28, 2009 10:17 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi there - can I join in?  I am new to running as well.  I'm 37 and overweight - had a baby three months ago and am now clocking in at 233.  BAH!   I was overweight before I had the baby though - I can't blame it on the pregnancy.  (Unfortunately. )  I decided a few weeks ago that I was tired of feeling weak and sluggish, so I started C25K.

I just finished Week 3, Day 2 yesterday, which consisted of 90 second run/90 second walk/three minute run/three minute walk/lather, rinse, repeat.  I was totally amazed that I was able to run the whole three minutes each time.  For me, that is just huge.  Even way back in the olden days of my early twenties, when I was in shape, I could never handle running (too much chestage).   I'm looking at next week and thinking "no way can I run five minutes in a ROW" but that's what I thought this week too, so I'm hoping it just works the same way - you put your head down and just do it and your body adapts.

I'm not having any problems with breathing, but my ankles are starting to really hurt during the runs - they don't hurt afterward at all, just during - I'm guessing I probably need to go get fitted for better shoes.

Now that Christmas is over I'm watching what I eat and adding in exercise on non-running days, so hopefully I'll start seeing results on the scale....  I'd like to do a 5K in February, and maybe eventually train for a half-marathon.  All of my neighborhood friends are super fit women who do sprint tris and full marathons and I've always admired their fitness.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone and hope you don't mind if I chime in.

• msnwoods Amateur 31 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    35. Dec 28, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to mxcnprincs)

Mxcnprincs - Hi there....so far, I'm not able to go outside. It doesn't get light here until 7am, and I have to be at work at 8am. I don't have anyone to go with me, and I don't want to go in the dark, on the street, so I go to the gym.....I'm am a morning person pretty much, so for me it has to be done in the morning. Besides, that I am kinda, well - who am I kidding, I definitely am self-concious at this point....by Friday, I'm sure I'll be past it....<g>

Someone is always doing, what someone else said couldn't be done. 
  • MegMc528 Amateur 27 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    36. Dec 28, 2009 10:56 AM (in response to msnwoods)

Tonight I start Wk 4 - a little concerned about running 5 minutes but then again who thought I could run 60 seconds a month ago? Glad to read all the support on this thread - can't wait to give it a go! Keep running ladies:-)

Avon Day 5K 6/5/10- 41:12

Asbury Boardwalk 5K - 9/25/10

This is just the beginning....

My slowest run time is still better than my best sit-on-the-couch time!

Meg

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill

• msnwoods Amateur 31 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    37. Dec 28, 2009 11:02 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Nicurn09 - Congrats on your Run.....You Did It! You know once I got started, I realized that I was hallucinating about this one.....it was, I don't know, I want to say it was harder than I thought, but not even that was accurate. LOLLLL I didn't go too fast, just that I went at all was the deal. LOLLLL. Now it's lunch time here in Texas, and like I said earlier my legs are not happy with me, but hey, that's the way it goes, from what I understand. Congratulations again....

Someone is always doing, what someone else said couldn't be done. 
  • sarapaige05 Amateur 30 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    38. Dec 28, 2009 11:25 AM (in response to msnwoods)

hey!! i have officially started the C25K!! i have to say that the podcast helped tremendously! i have a little ipod shuffle and it certainly was my buddy! i completed all of it and did it well! yeah!!

Started C25K Dec.28th- starting weight: 227

Weight lost as of 2/13/10:  17 pounds!!

The good thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.- Abraham Lincoln

First 5K ever is: Lake Erie Poker Run 5K April 17, 2010

• TinaMN Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    39. Dec 28, 2009 12:44 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi,

I'm starting it Jan 4th and am in the same boat.  Have tried many times before and not completed and plan to complete this time.  Just joined a thread that is starting Jan 4th

Best of luck and let's keep the support going.  We all need it

• Nickie1425 Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    40. Dec 28, 2009 1:21 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I am so glad that I found this thread!  I am 252 pounds at 5'9.  I started the C25K program back in September and made it through week 3 before I began making excuses (reality...thats all they were, just excuses!).  I'm starting again tonight, I'm going to try to begin at week 3 again and re-do that work out.  My boyfriend and all of our friends in the area are runners (we belong to a running club in Gulf Shores called LA Fleet Feet) and I have always wanted to do it for myself!  I'll echo everyone above, other than the occasional jerk, 99% of runners are nice, ecouraging people.  It took me forever to go to the first running club meeting b/c I figured that they would look at the 'fat girl' disgusted...but it was the opposite.  Everyone was so nice and positive...very inspiring!  Good luck on your journey and since I know this is here, I'll have to check in.  Its always good to have a support group and people to keep you motivated!

• zCarol Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    41. Dec 28, 2009 1:39 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Count me in.  I had started the C25K a few months ago and did not get past week 3. I really need to do something for myself and I want to reshape my life as well as my body. T-THR-Sat are going to be my running days and hope I can get a little biking done with my toddler tow on the other days. I am going to write a list of the benefits of doing this program so that I can refer to it when I find an excuse to sleep in or skip a session.Good luck  to everyone.

• ladybug82 Amateur 6 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    42. Dec 28, 2009 1:40 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hello!

I am also a plus size newbie. Im currently walking and weight training at the gym 3-4 times a week and walking on the weekends outside.

Im going to walk a 5k Jan1st and plan on walking/running an 8k March 20th.

The helping hand you are looking for is at the end of your wrist.

http://community.active.com/people/ladybug82/blog

• Aquapixie Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    43. Dec 28, 2009 2:37 PM (in response to ladybug82)

I'm planning on starting C25K and am a plus size as well.   My official start

date is the the 1st.  I'm hoping to do a 5k in May.

Good luck everyone!!

• JoValencia Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    44. Dec 28, 2009 2:41 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I am so happy and proud of you for posting this. I want to print your post asnd all these replies as proof and inspiration that WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!. tHANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO'VE REPLIED. I too am over 200 lbs and have ran about 4 5ks since Nove 2008. I have not been consistent in my training but once in the swing of it, it feels so GOOD to ru n and know what other things ur body is capable of.. Congrats and don't be shy cause this is all about YOU and YOU (each and everyone one of us) Deserve to give ourselves the best... we need not worry about what others think . Have a healthy and happy 2010

Johanna V.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 53 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...