Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

173377 Views 796 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2014 4:31 PM by shipo Go to original post 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 54 Previous Next
  • Tiffany89 Pro 56 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007

Ann, Kristin, and Porter-congratulations on your 5K's!  Way to go!

Jingle Bell Run 5K, December 13, 2009

http://community.active.com/people/Tiffany89/blog/feeds/posts

Nov 24, 2007

Teamnicole-

Way to keep at it!  You aren't giving up even though you are having some very challenging times.  It is truly going to be a victory when you get to week 9.

Nov 24, 2007

Hi Deb,

I was reading Born to Run this weekend and guess what miracle food he discovered among an indigenous tribe of ultra-runners?  Ch-ch-ch-chia!  They make a drink out of the seeds that is pretty tasty, albeit a little crunchy!  Can you give me the names of some of the raw food recipes that you like?  I thought I would google them and get a few recipes.

Hope it's all going well for you!

Does anyone else have a superfood that you use before of after running?

• dltang Legend 163 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009

Tiffany89 wrote:

Hi Deb,

I was reading Born to Run this weekend and guess what miracle food he discovered among an indigenous tribe of ultra-runners?  Ch-ch-ch-chia!  They make a drink out of the seeds that is pretty tasty, albeit a little crunchy!  Can you give me the names of some of the raw food recipes that you like?  I thought I would google them and get a few recipes.

Hope it's all going well for you!

Does anyone else have a superfood that you use before of after running?

Here are two really easy ideas for Chia.  You put 1 scoop of Chia seeds in about 1 cup of organic soy milk.  Let it set for about an hour, longer is better to really gel up.  Add some vanilla and maple syrup to taste.  The closest thing I can describe it for you is it taste like and has a consistency of tapioca pudding.  I like it.  The other thing I do is make up some smoothies for a recovery drink, I use only fresh fruit, sometimes soy milk, coconut water (more electrolytes than sports drinks).  I add the chia seeds and some Bee pollen.  I also add hemp protein but find that makes it a bit bitter.  I can add blue agave to naturally sweeten it up if I need too.  I blend it all up real well and it makes an easy breakfast or snack or recovery drink.  Use whatever fruit you like best.  If I really want it tasty, I will use BoltHouse Mango natural fruit juice.  Hope that gives you some ideas.  By the way Chia seeds are my new favorite additive to my foods.  I stay fuller longer and they keep me hydrated.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

Nov 24, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    709. Mar 8, 2010 9:17 PM (in response to dltang)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Thanks Deb!  Those sound great.  I can't wait to try the tapioca pudding one.  Is your scoop of Chia seeds about a tablespoon?  The drink I got from Born to Run is 1 tsp. seeds, 8 oz. water, squeeze of lime juice (about 1/2 a lime) and a tsp. of agave.  It's very tasty.

Apr 15, 2009

Tiffany89 wrote:

Thanks Deb!  Those sound great.  I can't wait to try the tapioca pudding one.  Is your scoop of Chia seeds about a tablespoon?  The drink I got from Born to Run is 1 tsp. seeds, 8 oz. water, squeeze of lime juice (about 1/2 a lime) and a tsp. of agave.  It's very tasty.

It is the scoop that came in the container, I would say it is about a tablespoon. On a side note, regarding the Chia pudding.  I bought organic or natural maple syrup.  So much of the other has high fructose corn syrup in it.  I did use up what I had first so as not to waste.  Also the natural or organic is a lot more expensive, but you don't use a lot and it is much healthier.  I really try not to eat anything with high fructose corn syrup.  I also found that buying Chia seeds on line is cheaper than the local health food store, by quite a bit for me.

I have to get serious about my eating and running to make up for the week I was off sick.  I also indulged this weekend and had not just a cheat meal, not just a cheat day, but a whole cheat weekend and I am paying for it.  I put a few pounds back on.  I am going to have to work hard this week to get those off and get back on track.  In about 1/2 hour I am heading out to start W8D1.  I know I just ran yesterday but I have to get back into my routine.  I don't think it will hurt this one time to not have a day between workouts.  Besides, I really feel good about this.

Apr 15, 2009
    711. Mar 9, 2010 8:59 AM (in response to dltang)

Hi Everyone,

I finished W8D1 today.  Those extra 3 minutes seemed like an eternity but I sure felt good when I finished.  So good in fact that after a short break I went for a 4.5 mile bike ride.  I managed to go 2.65 miles during my 5 min walk/28 min run/5min walk.  That puts me on pace for a 40-45 min 5K if I am running the whole thing, maybe even better.  When I finish this C25K program, I plan on trying to run a 5K twice a week for the next two weeks as part of my training to get ready for the 5K on April 3rd.  Ultimately I want to be running 4 miles a couple of times a week that way when I finish 3.1 miles (5K), it will seem like a piece of cake. 

I am getting back into my health mode again which is great after my BAD weekend.  I feel really good today, still have a little cough but it is getting better.  Now time to go make my recovery smoothie and a nice hot shower.  Everyone keep up the good work.

• year4me_09 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    712. Mar 9, 2010 12:18 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Is there anyone in Clearwater, FL on this list who might want to get together and run/jog/wog with me perhaps. I am struggling getting started again, and I know it is because I do better with someone to share in the joy/misery of the time out.

I also enjoy biking if that is of interest.

I just got home from seeing my internist/cardiologist who says my heart muscle needs exercise. I am healthy and healthy enough I need to start doing cardio and lose weight. I have 6 months to get 25 - 30 pounds off. I can do it, I reminded him I lost 86 last year and just completed a half marathon in Jan, but since then I have lost my focus because I have been fighting one cold after another. Now I need to stop letting that stop me and get focused again. To quote on of my favorite radio people (Davce Ramsey) I need to get gazelle focused about cardio work and getting healthier.

Thumbs up to all of you who are getting through your C25K. I need to start it again and finish it again to start the focus.

Way to go everyone on this list.

Jodi

• kathy31175 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    713. Mar 9, 2010 3:00 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Good for you for starting on a healthier lifestyle.  I started walk/running last year at the age of 68 and over 200 lbs.  I did my first 5k in June and finished in 54 minutes.  I was very happy with my time.  Last weekend I did another 5k and finished in 47 minutes.  It can be done.  Believe me I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be doing this.  I found a great podcast to help me and I still use it - check out Robert Ullrey.com.  Good luck.

Kathy

Apr 15, 2009

year4me_09 wrote:

Is there anyone in Clearwater, FL on this list who might want to get together and run/jog/wog with me perhaps. I am struggling getting started again, and I know it is because I do better with someone to share in the joy/misery of the time out.

I also enjoy biking if that is of interest.

I just got home from seeing my internist/cardiologist who says my heart muscle needs exercise. I am healthy and healthy enough I need to start doing cardio and lose weight. I have 6 months to get 25 - 30 pounds off. I can do it, I reminded him I lost 86 last year and just completed a half marathon in Jan, but since then I have lost my focus because I have been fighting one cold after another. Now I need to stop letting that stop me and get focused again. To quote on of my favorite radio people (Davce Ramsey) I need to get gazelle focused about cardio work and getting healthier.

Thumbs up to all of you who are getting through your C25K. I need to start it again and finish it again to start the focus.

Way to go everyone on this list.

Jodi

Year4me_09,

Many of us have been where you are.  Having done it before but somewhere along the line lost our way or lost our focus.  You have done it before and just by virtue of you being here, I am sure you WILL do it again.  Keep coming back and checking in for support.  That is what this forum is for.

Apr 15, 2009

kathy31175 wrote:

Good for you for starting on a healthier lifestyle.  I started walk/running last year at the age of 68 and over 200 lbs.  I did my first 5k in June and finished in 54 minutes.  I was very happy with my time.  Last weekend I did another 5k and finished in 47 minutes.  It can be done.  Believe me I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be doing this.  I found a great podcast to help me and I still use it - check out Robert Ullrey.com.  Good luck.

Kathy

Kathy you are truly an inspiration.  You are showing us that we can all do this.  Congratulations on your great 5k runs.

• titancupcake Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2008
    716. Mar 9, 2010 5:10 PM (in response to dltang)

I totally want to start the C25K, and very plus sized.  Anyone just starting out or in San Diego area?  Would love to share motivation or get together...

thanks.

• Ann Adair Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009

I'm in Tampa, and a friend of mine in Clearwater and I have a new club on Facebook for Tampa Area C25K. We're officially starting on Monday, the 15th, and the only "meetings" we have are 5k races scheduled every month to get together. You might be able to find other people in the group near you for training purposes.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=338313384299&ref=ts

Check it out!

We are actually kicking it off this Friday night at the Largo Shamrock 'n Run. It's a 7pm start time with beer, food, etc! Woohoo! Check out the facebook group!

Ann

• Mskirk45 Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    718. Mar 10, 2010 3:54 AM (in response to NICURN09)

HAPPY WEDNESDAY EVERYONE!  I am on W6D2!!!  This past weekend, I ran outside on the track for the first time in my life.  I was the fat kid in HS who refused to run, so when the bell rang, I just crossed the football field and settled for a failing grade.  I RAN ONE MILE AROUND THE TRACK (4) LAPS - ONE DAY AFTER A SURGICAL PROCEDURE (THAT DEEMED ME CANCER FREE)!!!  As if that were not enough, some family members invited me out for a walk around the lake on Sunday (I figured ok, I ran a mile yesterday so a walk will be nice on a georgeous Sunday..... (WHO KNEW THE WALK AROUND THE LAKE WAS 4.7 MILES!!!!) UGGGG.  After all that I ran W6D1 with a blister on each foot like it was NOTHING!!! I find myself excited everyday about being so successful in this program!  WELCOME to all of you who are just starting!  This program will change your life if you let it!!!!!  OH PS:................. I'VE LOST 13 LBS,  yeah!!!!!

Apr 15, 2009
    719. Mar 10, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Mskirk45)

Mskirk45 wrote:

HAPPY WEDNESDAY EVERYONE!  I am on W6D2!!!  This past weekend, I ran outside on the track for the first time in my life.  I was the fat kid in HS who refused to run, so when the bell rang, I just crossed the football field and settled for a failing grade.  I RAN ONE MILE AROUND THE TRACK (4) LAPS - ONE DAY AFTER A SURGICAL PROCEDURE (THAT DEEMED ME CANCER FREE)!!!  As if that were not enough, some family members invited me out for a walk around the lake on Sunday (I figured ok, I ran a mile yesterday so a walk will be nice on a georgeous Sunday..... (WHO KNEW THE WALK AROUND THE LAKE WAS 4.7 MILES!!!!) UGGGG.  After all that I ran W6D1 with a blister on each foot like it was NOTHING!!! I find myself excited everyday about being so successful in this program!  WELCOME to all of you who are just starting!  This program will change your life if you let it!!!!!  OH PS:................. I'VE LOST 13 LBS,  yeah!!!!!

First of all Praise God you are cancer free.  Next congratulations on your run and your walk. Now be careful, you beat the cancer, you beat the surgery, now do not let blister be your nemesis.  Great job on the weight loss too.  We are a strong group and as long as we lean on each other we are even stronger.

1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 54 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...