Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

169405 Views 794 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2014 6:14 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 53 Previous Next
  • beetledodger Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 10, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    720. Mar 10, 2010 2:06 PM (in response to NICURN09)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

I'm 40 years old and my BMI is 40.

I would like one of those numbers to come down, and the other to keep going up for a long, long time yet.

I am relieved to see this thread about heavier people doing c25k.

I'm in W2D2 of c25k and finding it entirely doable so far. I've been a bit sore where I would expect to be sore and out of breath when I'd expect to be out of breath, but I've had no real problems.

I can foresee that I will probably do the week 2 routine a couple of times before moving in to week 3, and from there I am likely to take extra repetitions of the ensuing routines to get myself strong enough to eventually carry my hefty self the whole 5 kilometres at a running pace. And that's fine. I'm not in this for the purpose of being able to run 5 k's in six and a half weeks from now at any cost. I am in it to get stronger and fitter without damaging my body or my spirit.

Challenges for me; running where people can see me makes me cringe. Not having a measured track or a useful watch with which to regulate myself leaves me guessing. Making running time for myself in my chaotic life takes a sort of selfishness that is unfamiliar.

Objectives: I would like to get fit enough to participate in a particular form of martial art (without hurting myself or embarrassing myself too much).

• Mskirk45 Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    721. Mar 10, 2010 4:27 PM (in response to NICURN09)

dltang!!!  Thank you so much!!  You have given me so much inspritation in a short paragarph and it's exactly what I needed.  We are a strong group and growing stronger everyday!!  I am heading out for W6D2 to 10 min runs getting ready for 25 min run on Friday!!!!

Thank you again, your encouragement means so much!

• Maine4Me Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    722. Mar 10, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Well, I finished W6D2 today!  Didn't feel as good as I did on Monday doing day one. Some strange aching in my calves, but I trudged through.  Not sure if it had something to do with my shoes, how they were tied or something, or just aches and pains from the new activities.  Anyway, I am happy that I was able to push myself through.  I officially registered for my first 5K in May, so there is no turning back now.

Glad to see everyone else is pushing through.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other, eventually we'll reach the finish line.

Doylestown Red, White & Blue 5K    5/29/2010  49:58   (1st race)

• Ann Adair Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009

Hey, beetledodger! Welcome! I'm almost 43, with a BMI of 49! I'm getting smaller, though. Yes, you can do it!

I wanted to speak mostly to your mention of a martial art. After losing 50 pounds, I started fencing. I wanted to wait until I lost more weight, but the instructor/master said, "None of us are getting any younger!" So, here I am 3-4 months later with a bag full of fencing gear, including a custom jacket (not too many 290lb women fencers out there). I'm am actually so excited about this Western martial art! It's something I've always wanted to do, and as I get smaller, it is becoming easier. I can't wait to be much quicker and lighter on my feet. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer. I love fencing! If my opponent is paying more attention to how I look rather than my fencing, I will win every time. The only one who needs to get over how you look is yourself. Don't spend another minute thinking about it. Do it!

Good luck with your C25k training. I'm restarting my program on Monday with a horde of local friends. This Friday some of them are doing their first 5k to get a baseline time and see what it's like! It will be my ninth 5k since Halloween! I'm so excited to be a catalyst of encouragement and change for so many local friends!

Ann

• beetledodger Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 10, 2010
    724. Mar 11, 2010 1:23 AM (in response to Ann Adair)

Hi Ann, thank you for the welcome.

Odd that you are getting into fencing, as it is similar to the type of martial art I have ambition to participate in. Getting kit to fit me is one of the difficulties. A lot of work goes in to hand making it, so the less adjusting I have to do over time, the better. I'm planning to see how much my shape changes with c25k. If I get fit and stay large, I will get cracking on making my gear. If my shape is changing, I might be better off to wait a few months.

Being unfit and inclined to overheat, I live with fear of mortal embarrassment if I should get all kitted up to train and fall over from exhaustion before a blow is struck. And given that the type of activity I find most attractive is sort of like cross-country sword-fighting, I reckon that the fitter I get before jumping in, the better! It does not mean that I am not doing some light practice already as well as the c25k, just that I would prefer to be a bit more prepared when I put my hand up and say "Can I play too?" to the cool kids.

I know that I really just need to get over my embarrassment about the shape I am in. Ironically, it is embarrassing to be so very embarrassed. But it's been a decade I've been trying to learn not to be embarrassed and there is no sign of that happening. So I am not waiting any more, I am working around it. I hope that if I can make a noticable amount of progress, my pride in that achievement will help me to overcome my shyness.

Your experience with fencing sounds awesome and is most encouraging. I have been told in the past that the sight of me -- heavier than you and really rather tall -- running full tilt at someone and screaming like a banshee is rather offputting to the opposition. So I expect I would be equally intimidating in the martial art I aim to participate in.

• dltang Legend 163 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    725. Mar 11, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to Maine4Me)

Today was W8D2 and V..E..R..Y...S...L...O...W.  And here is why.  The BAD news.  I have followed this program and made it to Week 8 injury free.  Well, on Tues, which was W8D1 for me I did fine, felt good and everything.  A little later that day I noticed my right ankle on the lateral side was a bit sore.  I don't remember twisting, turning or taking a misstep so I am not really sure what it going on.  It felt better in my work boots, I guess more support there. It was sore yesterday too and I even had a slight limp.  Today, it still hurt but not as bad.  So, being the stubborn runner that I am, I decided to head out for W8D2, I a getting too close to not just do it now.  When I started, I could tell this was going to hurt.  I made up my mind to just run through the pain though.  At some points, I even convinced myself that it was feeling better.  BUT, I was so wrong.  I should have never gone out.  By the time the 28 minute run was done, I was in so much pain.  I had shooting pains going up my calf muscles and the whole bottom of my foot feels like I have a perpetual charlie horse in it.  Just walking home for the cool down walk was pure misery.  I am now in my chair with ice on my ankle/foot, I have it elevated and have taken an anti-inflamatory med.  I will not run for the next two or three days and see how it is going.  I just can not get this close to finishing the C25K and not go it.  I will not let this defeat me.  Until that time though, I will continue to bike and swim and hope that I don't "lose it" for the run, if I have to take off an extended period of time.  I know from being sick, that I can bounce back from 5 days off, but even that is more than I want to do, it I don't have to.  So keep my ankle in your prayers all.  Thanks.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

Feb 10, 2010
    726. Mar 11, 2010 11:18 AM (in response to dltang)

WELCOME TO MY BABY SISTER "RED ROBIN 529"  She is also doing the program and just got her online, very one please welcome her!!  LOVE YOU BABY SISTER!!!!

• RedRobin529 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 11, 2010
    727. Mar 11, 2010 11:57 AM (in response to Mskirk45)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am on W5D2, this Saturday is my big 20 minute run. I feel pretty confident that it will go well. I went out bought some new running shoes. I think the money spent will be worth the investment. I felt pretty good after day 1 but in the middle of the night my left foot was swollen. If feels much better today so I am hoping to have a good day 2 tonight.

Will keep you all posted.

Apr 15, 2009

Welcome RedRobin529.  You have a great sister and we expect big things out of you.

Feb 10, 2010
    729. Mar 11, 2010 5:59 PM (in response to dltang)

dltang::::

Where did you get your weight tracking thing on your site?    I'l like to get one!

Apr 15, 2009
    730. Mar 11, 2010 7:12 PM (in response to Mskirk45)

Mskirk45 wrote:

dltang::::

Where did you get your weight tracking thing on your site?    I'l like to get one!

Here are the directions I sent to someone else that asked.  I hope they are clear enough and easy to understand.

Go to http://www.tickerfactory.com and sign up for a ticker.  Put in all the info they ask for and a password.  When you are done, remember to bookmark the site they tell you for updating you weight and BMI.  Every time you go to that site and put in your password it will ask for the new updated info, it is that easy.  Here is the part that didn't work for me though.  I have a  Mac computer so it may work differently for you.  They give you code to enter into your signature line.  That code did not work for me.  I had to open two separate windows side by side and just drag the ticker into my signature line and that worked.  I hope this helped and wasn't confusing.

• Tiffany89 Pro 56 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    731. Mar 11, 2010 8:38 PM (in response to dltang)

I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle!  It's good that you are taking a few days off of your ankle.  Even if you have to swim and bike, you'll keep up your endurance.  I know that you will finish the C25K.  That's just who you are!

Take care!

Jingle Bell Run 5K, December 13, 2009

http://community.active.com/people/Tiffany89/blog/feeds/posts

• TashaBadger75 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2010
    732. Mar 12, 2010 5:39 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi All,

I'm plus sized and just completed D3W1 on Wednesday.  My husband got me into the C25K program since it was successful for him.  Not only am I out of shape, but I've never been a runner in the past.  I really like it so far.  It seems managable but will allow me to push myself.  I'm hoping to run a 5K in late summer.

I think it's great to see all of you at different stages of the program.  It really gives me hope for the future.

• AmareVincere Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    733. Mar 12, 2010 7:01 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hello,

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to make a change in your life!! Just by deciding to make healthy changes to your lifestyle and your diet, and by trying something new with the C25K program, you are doing yourself a HUGE improvement to your life and your mind!!

I'm also over 200 pounds, and it's the heaviest I've ever been, and I've been working extremely hard to get below it, and it's very difficult.  I had the same feelings when I'd show up at the gym, that everyone would want to know why the "fat girl" wanted to work out.  And I've had a few revelations over the past year of my lifestyle change:

• First of all, and this may sound horrible to some, but it's TRUE - there is always someone in worse "condition" than you are.  This is because EVERYONE comes in different shapes and sizes.  Some people don't look like they weight what they do, and some people look like they weigh more.  It doesn't matter!! What matters is that YOU are there, and YOU are doing something to change your life.  Everyone else in that gym should be invisible to you!!!

• Secondly, if you can't get beyond what people think of you right away, think about this.  I remember times when I used to have a bad day or binge, when I'd go through the drive-thru at a fast food place or buy tons of junk food, and then hide out in my car and eat it.  I would be HORRIFIED if anyone saw me while I was stuffing my face like this.  So I figured, wouldn't I rather people see me out running, or at the gym, than sititng in my car or on my couch stuffing my face?

• Thirdly, you have to remember that most of these people don't care that you're at the gym.  They're concerned about their own health and workout, and you should be concerned with yours!!  I used to be so afraid of how I looked that I would never use the weight machines at the gym because I was afraid I'd look like I didn't know what I was doing.  And you know what?  The first time I did it, I ABSOLUTELY LOOKED LIKE I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS DOING!!!  I used two of the machines backwards, and when I realized it, instead of being embarassed, for some reason I thought it was hilarious.  And not that important, because at least I was doing it!!

One of the best things that I ever did was to make a commitment to learning about how to change my life.  Research online, talk to friends, use resources such as these discussion boards.  They are invaluable, priceless sources of information that can really help you to achieve your goals.  When I started out, I never envisioned myself running for 20 seconds let alone 20 minutes.  But you can do anything you set your mind to.

A couple of suggestions that I have for you to get started:

• Set goals for yourself.  For example, if you complete Week One of the C25K program, maybe you'll treat yourself to getting a manicure that week.  Rewarding yourself for achievements can really boost your motivation and encourage you to keep going!!
    • I tried to have my life mirror the changes I wanted to see.  So I started keeping track of my calories on the Daily Plate on Livestrong.com, and I became MUCH more aware of how what I was eating affected me and what I was trying to accomplish.
    • Schedule "appointments" for working out like you would a lunch date with a friend, or a doctor's appointment.  You can't use the excuse that you don't have time for the gym, because everyone who wants to make time, does.  I commute an hour to work every day, and work long hours.  So I go to bed a few hours after I get home every night, and I get up at 4:30 in the morning to get my workouts in before work.  It was hard at first, but once I started doing it, it truly paid off and I felt so much better about myself.

I hope that I was able to help give you advice, and I'd love to offer more if you'd like.  Just remember that you are doing this to improve yourself, and shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks.  You should already be proud of yourself for taking the initiative to start the C25K program, and more importantly, to ask for help.

Best of luck to you, you will do great!!

*Lauren*

Be the change you want to see

March 27, 2010:  Mid-Hudson Road Runner's Club Daffodil Days 5K

June 12, 2010:  Mid-Hudson Road Runner's Club Treetops to Rooftops 5K (Walkway Over The Hudson)

September 25, 2010:  Adirondack Distance Festival and Marathon, 10K in Chestertown

October 10, 2010:  Mid-Hudson Road Runner's Club: Newburgh Beacon Bridge 5 Mile Run

• LadyBella85 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    734. Mar 12, 2010 5:32 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hello All,

My name is Sherrie. So I've been struggling with my weight my entire life and this will be my 25th birthday this year and my gift to me is to finally get it under control. i refuse to spend another quarter century fighting this fight. Despite my weight, I love running, I just can't do it for a long time . My cousin hit me up on Facebook last night and told me that she's going to do the Peachtree Road Race this year and I should join her. Its July 4th in Atlanta and I did a lil bit of research and then I told her, I'm game and we're soo going to do this. Afterwards, I returned to the gym and did another 30 minutes of cardio to 'seal the deal'. I realize that I only have 3.5 months to go from couch to 10k but hey...stranger things have happened I'm sure. I have 113 days to eat right and go to the gym at least once a day, sometimes twice. 113 days to be running at least 12 minute miles as I refuse to walk the entire time and I WILL NOT spend all day doing 6 measly miles. 

I am going to spend the next 6 weeks conditioning and then I'm going to start the C25k program with a couple of modifications considering that mine is 10k instaed of 5...So hello all! And I'm really excited to be on this journey with everyone else...

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 53 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...