Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

174827 Views 796 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2014 4:31 PM by shipo Go to original post 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 Previous Next
  • Hugs4Mugs Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    765. Jul 16, 2013 6:16 PM (in response to NICURN09)
    Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Can I join the club too? I am a 42 yo woman who is 236 pounds. I have lost 57 pounds since January using weigh watchers for my diet and C25K for fitness. In the beginning I walked for about three months. This week I am completing week 9 and can run a solid 30 minutes. I can't run a 5k in 30 minutes, but I intend to reach that distance soon. Thank you for the inspiration.

• PowerfulPlugowsky Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2013
    766. Jul 17, 2013 10:03 AM (in response to NICURN09)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Well, I am just getting back into running after a 2 year hiatus (injury and "letting go" of routine to blame = AKA me) - but, let me tell you - you need to worry less about what others think and just dive in.

The first time I tried running - I followed a program much like this one a "learn to run" program...I weighed 240 pounds at 5'8". I started with a 1K race - to get the feel of it...then trained for the 5K. I didn't "run" the entire first race...but, I didn't care because I finished it and felt so much pride. I was one of the "fattest" people in the race...but, I was running damn it and feeling pretty good. With time...and persistence, I started to see the weight come off and eventually got under 200 pounds. Just start and keep with it and you will see results.

After having let all that go and having to start all over again - I know I did it once - I can do it again. However, a few lessons learned.

1. Get fitted with shoes. I ended up with a stress fracture because I was wearing corrective shoes (for pronators - those that roll in with thier feet) instead of a neutral shoe. The corrective ones were throwing my already rolling out feet more out...placing pressure on the small bones of my foot and causing a fracture that sealed my running off for months. Some runner swear by the minimalist shoes (the "barefoot" running versions)...those might work for you - but, will depend - I think- on the health of your arches and feet. If you have pain under your foot after you run...you may need shoes or orthotics to prevent injuries. I did...and do.
    2. Pace yourself. Follow a program and DO NOT DO MORE at first...even if you feel like it. Your body needs to adjust to the running and will need to "train" and recover between runs to prevent injury.
    3. Do hydrate yourself well - drink plenty of water throughout the day so that you are not drinking a ton during training. I found that my abd. cramping got worse if I drank too much at once during my runs (or just before a run)...stick to frequent small sips during your run - if you have to drink. I ran short distances...so, could do that. Obviously this is different for marathons - which I have never run and would never claim to have any knowledge of.
    4. If you can sign up for a clinic - have your running gait assessed by a professional. They can help you with your running technique to reduce overall stress and strain (and it makes you look good doing it too....;) ).
    5. HAVE FUN! Everyone can run..and once you get the hang of it...it is an exilerating experience. Races get my adrenaline flowing as I prepare to get a "personal best"  in the race or to simply enjoy the process...being with all the other runners is exciting. It's palpable...and life-affirming!

I just want to say that after 2 years of letting myself go - I am once again over 200 pounds at 220. I also struggle with plantar fascitis under my left foot..but, here I am - training again for a 5K in Sept. Glad to be here with you all!

Good luck! Great to be here!

Tammy

• running4Alifechange Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 19, 2013
    767. Jul 19, 2013 8:25 AM (in response to NICURN09)

This thread is so encouraging. I am currently on W1D2 and needed to hear these posts to keep me going. I am a 300+lb and decided to fight to get my life back. This has been hard so far but after reading the previous post… I will just keep running. I felt like passing out until I heard the C25K app say you are half way there. That gave me a boost. I run slowly, tend to be out of breath and often times embarrassed. It seems like crossing a 5k line is a mere dream at this point. I am running because my life needs to change and I know that it is the ultimate exercise. I can’t wait for the day when I wakeup and just go for a run. Crossing a 5K finish line will mean the world to me.

I have made some good changes with my food choices and have increased my water intake. I have help at my local YMCA on my gym days. I got to stay with this. My life depends on it. Somehow just typing all of this has already helped me to feel better. Thank you Lord for the strength to continue this.

• AnitaFowler Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2013
    768. Jul 24, 2013 12:49 PM (in response to NICURN09)

After 2 knee surgeries, having a baby, & gall bladder surgery and poor eating and exercising habits I weighed 240, 90 pounds overweight, with diet I lost 25 pounds and then I realized I needed to make exercising a priority. I started with walking then after 2 weeks began very slowly jogging. After a few weeks, I signed up for a 5K to support my neighbors charity and I was able to jog the whole thing pushing my baby in his stroller. I had so much fun and gained so much confidence by doing that race I signed up for a 10k scheduled 6 weeks out. I have been following a training schedule and a few hours ago just completed my first 10K! I was able to run without stopping or walking once! My 5K I ran in 50 minutes. This 10K I ran in 72 minutes! 28 minutes faster! I'm so proud of myself and so thankful to The Lord for keeping my knees strong enough that I can run. Reading this blog has inspired me to keep going. My body is changing dramatically. I've been watching what I eat and eating 80% clean food. I have lost 5 pounds & gained a ton of muscle. I'm looking so much thinner!

A few tips 1- don't measure progress by weight at first. Use a measuring tape or clothes or even better measure your progress by your workouts and eating habits. dont use the scale at first, when you start working out you will be gaining a ton of muscle. Yes 1 pound of fat=1 pound of muscle but muscle is much more compact. So if you see the scale not budging but your jeans are looser and your shirts fit better or you can run longer or faster then that's progress.

2- download the app Fooducate. It's so helpful and teaches about true health. You input calories burned and it tells you how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. I attribute much of my weight loss to tracking calories and eating much cleaner.

3- cross train if possible. Having knee injuries and being overweight is hard on the joints. I train with an elliptical 2xs a week to take the stress off. I'm going to start training for a triathlon as well, so I'm going to start swimming and biking too so my knees won't wear out or be hurting constantly. If you are overweight I highly recommend an elliptical for some workouts. But ellipticals burn less calories and take 2xs as long to cover distance. For example. I usually run a 12 minute mile. Going at my normal pace it takes me 24 mins on an elliptical. It's because you aren't in the air at all. I always  measure my runs by distance and see how long it takes then on my elliptical days I measure that workout by time not distance.

Anyway final advice drink a smoothie everyday. I've loved incorporating this into my diet that's super clean and ill share the recipe here:

1- banana, 1 1/2 cups berries of some sort, one kind or mixed( I switch it up so it tastes a little different each day) 1/2 cup orange juice 1/2-1 cup 100 % coconut water, 2 huge handfuls of spinach (organic is best when it comes to spinach) 1/2 cup crushed ice 1/2 cup nonfat Fage or other high protien Greek yogurt and then blend= it’s delicious and has a good amount of protein, electrolytes, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber and it keeps me full for hours. It’s about 400 calories.

I yoyo dieted for years trust me when I say fad and extreme diets don't work. You will loose and your metabolism and body get upset and when you eat again you will put on weight with a vengeance. I swore off diets and am committed to a lifestyle change that's good for me and my family. Remember it's health you are really wanting not vanity.

• Angi373 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 25, 2013
    769. Jul 25, 2013 8:35 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I just downloaded the c25k app on my android and did my first workout this morning.  I felt really great.  Tomorrow morning I'm going for a walk only with my husband. I think I will do day 1 again on Monday and start my official week on that day..  I too am over 200 pounds, used to be in the military so I have been a runner sort of.  I have been wanting to get back into running and lose this weight, tired of the yoyo.

• LisaMarie517 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2013
    770. Jul 28, 2013 10:52 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi everyone!  I just finished week 3 and I'm feeling great.  I'm a little scared to start week 4.  It's still hard to overcome the "I can't" thoughts.  Being 250+, I've taken much longer to get to week 4.  I started the C25k almost 8 weeks ago.  It took me three weeks to finish week 1.  My treadmill is having issues now.  We think that it needs to be oiled.  My muscles are getting tired from the constant changes in speed.  I would love to run outside, but I'm not confident enough to run in public yet. 

Thanks for the inspiration to keep going!

• Mikey A Expert 46 posts since
    Jul 24, 2013
    771. Jul 28, 2013 6:08 PM (in response to LisaMarie517)

Hi Lisa, sounds like your doing great!  I am new to running and just started c25k this week and will finish my 1st week tomorrow.  I have been training at our local high school track in the early evening hours and there is usually only a few people there at that time, and they are just working on their own goals.  I find it enjoyable to run on the track with my ipod shuffle playing great running tunes and not have to worry about vehicle traffic.  Good luck to you and keep up the good work!

Mike

• mamaearth Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    772. Jul 31, 2013 2:58 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I started c25k at 275 lbs. I was scared of it at first and overwhelmed at the thought of running for even 1 minute at a time. I found out I could do it, finished the 9 weeks and moves on to the 5k to 10k program. I completed it today by running 60 consecutive minutes and still at 240 lbs. I always run outside and feel proud of what my body can do.

• Erin1963 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 3, 2013
    773. Aug 4, 2013 7:02 AM (in response to LisaMarie517)

Hey, LisaMarie517, I totally hear you. I redid week one for three weeks. Last week I finished week 2, and I'll probably do week two again. Keep going, sweetie, just put one foot in front of the other. So far, I've logged just over 20 miles over four weeks but I'm taking it slow.

Last week I was fitted with proper running shoes and the first two runs in them were different but more comfortable now. No shin splints, no achilles tendon irritation I'm nudging 200lbs, and I was a little embarrased to tell him I started the C25K program but he was so enthusiastic! His face lit up! THAT helped. He checked my form (ok) and my feet (neutral but high rigid arch) and we tried on maybe six different shoes until I found a pair I liked (Brooks Ghost 6, not too heavy, good arch support). Anyway, he asked if I'd signed up for my first 5k. Nope. He recommended I should go do that right away because the added motivation is terrific. I left the store feeling good and not at all judged.

So I did - and he was right! Last night I registered for my first 5k (and my second 5k, scheduled for a month later) and all I thought about during my "run" this morning was the fall 5k and "keep going, one more 1/2 block." I'm in SE Virginia, so thank goodness this isn't until late September and at the oceanfront yay! I don't know about y'all, but running in this 70% humidity is just horrible and for the first time in 20 years living here I'm grateful for the lack of hills!

• Hanger 63 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2014
    774. May 22, 2014 12:22 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi All,

I just started C25K last week, and am having difficulty with breathing and endurance.

I have been doing WW and have lost substantial weight, but still belong in the 200+ category.

My in-laws convinced me to join a marathon in January, and feel I'm WAAAAYYYY over my head.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Rose

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    775. May 26, 2014 8:34 AM (in response to Hanger 63)

Hey Rose,

The breathing thing is pretty easy to solve, simply slow down, even if that means you're moving barely faster than a walk.  As your body becomes more used to the running motion, you'll be able to breath more naturally, even as your speed and distance improves.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    776. May 26, 2014 9:36 AM (in response to Hanger 63)

As for the marathon (Disney by chance?), yes, you have your work cut out for you.  But it can be done.   Slow and easy are key.  You might get in touch with a program like Team in Training for help.  Yes there is some fund-raising involved.  But they are experienced at getting beginners through a marathon.  Otherwise a coach, say from your local running club, would be very helpful.

Len

• be4unoit Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 9, 2014
    777. May 28, 2014 8:37 AM (in response to NICURN09)

I weigh 288 lbs and started using the C25K program. Believe it or not I used it for three days training and did my first 5K. Granted it took me 51 minutes to finish but finish I did (between running and walking) - having an older woman powerwalk past me kind of made me laugh but I did it. I have signed up for my 2nd 5K in August. I want to get closer to the 30 minute mark next time. You just have to go for it. If people comment on the 'fat person' running well at least you're running. And personally I think they can kiss my wobbly behind as I go past them. 1276440_10152344360130990_628736560_o.jpg

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    778. May 28, 2014 9:14 AM (in response to be4unoit)

Loved your post and your attitude! 

I tell the folks I coach, "Remember, you're faster than the folks on the sidelines and way-WAY faster than the folks till on the couch."

You might want to join us over in the "200+ Pound Club!" as well (http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=11340&tstart=0), we get some pretty good discussions going over there from time-to-time.

Congratulations on your first 5K, and keep us posted on your progress and your future races.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • msthing1 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 23, 2012
    779. May 28, 2014 10:46 AM (in response to be4unoit)

Hi be4unoit. Good job! I just wanted to tell you that you have no reason to feel self conscious about how you look running. I have been running for 2.5 years now and have worked up to running my frst full marathon-I started with 5ks, too.  I have run in a ton of races of all lengths. The one thing I have never seen, not that this doesn't happen,ever, but I have never seen it, is a runner malisciously making fun of another runner. In fact, when I have seen very overweight people walking half marathons, and yes, that is not uncommon so keep it up, all the runners passing by them cheer them on and encourage them. Being in a running family is an amazing experience! So, in my experience, anyone who makes nasty comments can, rest assured, be pegged as a non runner/non athlete of any kind. You can be assured you could beat them any day in a run of any length. Be proud;-).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...