Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1843 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2009 9:19 PM by dfitz* RSS
skullengine Rookie 13 posts since
Aug 14, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2009 7:23 AM

Looking for the shoe sales...

Hi, all.  I usually buy several pairs of shoes this time of year to take advantage of the usual "buy one get one free" sales.  Can't find any yet this year, I run in an Asics Nimbus, any idea where/when these sales will start to pick up? They're usually in full swing by now.  Thanks!

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. Dec 27, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to skullengine)
    Re: Looking for the shoe sales...

In this economy I don't think you can expect the same kinds of sales you've seen in the past, simply because retailers across almost all sectors have cut back on the amount of inventory they're carrying. News stories are reporting much emptier shelves in stores; less selection for bargain-hunters.

There are still sales out there, but the discounts might be smaller than you're hoping for.  http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ is advertising 30 - 60% off shoes, with an extra $10 off each pair if you buy two. I didn't check on your specific model, but since you know the exact shoe and size that you wear, purchasing online might be your best bet for a deal.

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    3. Dec 29, 2009 9:19 PM (in response to skullengine)
    Re: Looking for the shoe sales...

That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure, although I've seen (and you probably have too) how Runner's World does shoe reviews of new models every so often, including timeframes for when shoes are coming out. Check their website if you haven't yet.  I also like how Road Runner Sports' website puts an "endangered!" sign on shoes that are being phased out. That's how I found out last year (around this time of year) that my favorite Saucony ProGrid Jazz 12 was going by the wayside and I'd have to seek out my size before they vanished. That model retailed for only $80-$90, and I got two extra pairs for $60 each including shipping at yet another site, zbsports.com. That site has coupon codes every so often, like an extra 10% off, plus they make donations to charitable causes.

At the time I did Google searches on the exact model and size that I wanted, and turned up a few sites that I hadn't heard of (which is how I found zbsports.com). It's like treasure hunting! I also had done my research on what colors they came in for 2008, so I knew I wasn't getting a pair that had sat in a warehouse for 3 or 4 years. They say the cushioning can start to deteriorate... who knows.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points