Skip navigation

7106 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2010 12:29 PM by jlrunr RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Zoe little foot Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 15, 2010 5:38 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Survivor Harbor 7, 2010 Reviews

I enjoyed the race. 

Very poor mileage markers.

I do not understand not recycling. I asked where to put my plastic bottle to recycle to be told they were not recycling.  I am a little concerned if this is part of runner philosophy since when I run my training route I see the little energy bottles scattered all over sometimes.

Chips should be in packet, how simple is that?

All in all though, fun race.  Would have loved to go through the fort.!!

• jsrunr Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    31. Jun 15, 2010 5:45 AM (in response to Guest )

I have run this race every year since it's inception.  I will not run again after this year due to the lack of water, or any drinks for that matter, at the finish line.  This is not the first year the temperatures were in the 90s.  The organizers were lucky there were no serious injuries.  Thank goodness the folks at the Fieldhouse were kind enough to give us some water.  We had no money on us or else we would have tipped them.  I did think the shuttle buses ran smoothly.  The watermelon was wonderful, but they ran out of that too.  Is there a reason the race can't start earlier, say 7am? For the price we paid, we will probably look for another run that weekend.  A relative ran a 5K in Dewey Beach on Saturday, free buffet and beer.  Plenty of water!!!

• dvs63k Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    32. Jun 15, 2010 6:08 AM (in response to Guest )

This is a really nice race in Baltimore Inner Harbor.  Its the second time I have run this race with my Daughter (now age 13). Its a great event for a great cause and the first time I ran this race, my daughter was not too thrilled with me signing her up. But as we got close to the start and she saw the wheelers at the beginning of the race, she was more than inspired. My son (now age 9) was at the finish last year and saw the wheelers finish and was very much moved by the experience and decided to run this course for the first time this year.  That inspiration has carried our entire family to run a few races each year and to come back to this one and do the 7 miles this year.  We ran this race as a family and loved it!  It was a particularly hot morning and I agree with other reviews that the race could have started earlier. The water stops were short on water with volunteers scrambling to have a steady supply. The It would have been nice to have a few more water sprays during the course. Nevertheless, still a great race.

• TerpHokieFan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    33. Jun 15, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to Guest )

I'm hoping the organizers will read this year's reviews and fix the problems, as it seems like past years this race has been a success.  The website falsely advertised an extra water stop if it was hot, which it was RIDICULOUSLY HOT and there was no extra stop.  I would also vote for a 7am start time, knowing that it will likely be hot in June.  Misters would be nice. There was water when I ran through but hearing that stations ran OUT of water is inexcusable.  People die of heat exhaustion. You can't advertise water and then not have it. Especially when it is so hot and humid, like this time. The website also falsely advertised cash prizes for top competitors, which as far as I know, no one received.  The awards ceremony was slow to occur, with the heat became a problem.  The course is flat and fast and an interesting distance.  But I would not run this again unless improvements were made.  I had a really horrible experience, getting overheated, not having enough water, etc.  And then, no cash award as advertised. 

• emilymargaret Pro 69 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    34. Jun 15, 2010 7:55 AM (in response to Guest )

This was the 4th time my husband and I have run this race. Obviously we love this race but were disappointed this year. I'm echoing a lot of what other runners said but feel all these repeated points are necessary. I am also concerned since we and tons of our friends (GO BOMF) will be running the Baltimore 10 on Saturday. Please double the water stops. The weather is going to be hot and humid much like the S7.

Pros

1. Loved, loved, loved the chance for discounted entry fees on Jan. 1st.

2. Great premiums as usual.

3. Great course/good distance.

Cons

1. Water! I was so surprised at the lack of water on course and at the finish. The small "shots" of warm water were just not enough on course. And then at the finish I got 1 bottle of water and went back 20 minutes later for another and there were no more. How grateful I was to get one! We had to buy bottles. No excuse! MORE WATER STOPS ARE A MUST!

2. Start time needs to be moved to an earlier time.

3. Have chips available to be picked up when you get your bibs.

4. No recycling anywhere.

• Matthew Chorley Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    35. Jun 15, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to Guest )

The race course is really nice but the race is so hot and has been historically that it must start at an earlier time.  7 or 7:30 am is common for race start times and a 7 am start would help tremendously with more shade and a cooler start/finish.  Also, adding more hose or misting stations would be a huge help.

• pete6211 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 19, 2008
    36. Jun 15, 2010 8:25 AM (in response to Guest )

Bigger water cups, and more water at finish would have been great.  I hydrated well before the race, and that served me very well indeed.  Mile markers also seemed to be an issue for me, as well.  Would have been nice to get on Ft. McHenry, too.  I'd swear web site advertised that when I registered early on. 

Great course, nice premium.  Finish was too crowded, need more space for a crowd that size.

• Kim Asner Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    37. Jun 15, 2010 9:25 AM (in response to Guest )

everyone already said it... this race is way too hot to be running out of water! not sure what happened here this year, but that seemed pretty dangerous. good thing i carried mine the whole way.

tell them to hurry up and finish building in Ft.McHenry. running that loop is sooo much better than passing the finish line twice!

also, beer would be nice at the finish, instead of the Friday before. i dont want a whole weekend of one race, just one celebration on one day is necessary.

with that said, as long as i live in locust point, ill still do this race - its too convenient not to. and a good cause. keep up the good work!

• Jennifer0923 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009
    38. Jun 15, 2010 12:07 PM (in response to Guest )

This race could have been so much more than it was. Below are some suggestions I would make to the race director:

1. Add additional water stops and offer larger cups at the water stops.

2. Offer Recycling.

3. Spend less money on Police Officers (sometimes there were two at each intersection) and more money on the race itself.

4. Put Timing Chips in Packets.

5. Create a more exciting starting line.

6. Better staff the Post Race -- there was no one handing out food and controling the post race events.

7. Offer beer at the finish line!

8. Post better mile markers.

9. Keep the watermellon it was perfect after a run on a hot day!

10 Focus on the post-race party instead of the pre-race party.

Most likely I will never be running this race again.

• BmoreJ Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 28, 2008
    39. Jun 15, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to Guest )

Just repeating what has already been said about the water. I did get water at the first and second water stops without any issue, however, the size of the cups at the third stop was a joke. A shot of water after running 5.5 miles in 80 degrees is unacceptable. Also, they should have added an additional stop like they said that they would.

Aside from that, I had no other issues with the race. I have run it before and I am sure I will run it again - with my own water bottle.

• comicshopgrl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    40. Jun 15, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to Guest )

I'm sure I am repeating what others have said but I found this race to be poorly run. The water situation was ridiculous. When I got to the first water stop, there were little shot cups of warm water and I had to wait for them to be poured. At the second stop there was no water! It was way too hot not to have water. At the end of the race, I got one water bottle then they ran out. I have never been to a race that ran out of water.

Suggestions for next year.

1. More water stops with actual water in them.

2. Start the race at 7am. 8am is too late for Baltimore in June.

3. Less focus on the pre-race party and more on the post race party.

I won't be running this race again. 

• KrisDask Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    41. Jun 16, 2010 4:54 AM (in response to Guest )

I love this race!  I will run it again next year as I did the year before.  It does always end up being on the hottest day of June so I think it should start earlier.  More COLD water stops could have been added.  I really enjoyed the residents of the city that were nice enough to hose the runners down.  I would like to suggest that instead of people helping to point you in the right direction, these people held hoses as well and sprayed the runners because it was dangerously hot

• jodij123deletekli Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008
    42. Jun 16, 2010 8:40 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall, I enjoyed the race. I agree with others that more water is a must. I was lucky to have my camelback or I would not have made it. The few people that were misting runners as we went by was great too - not sure if they were part of the race or not, but if not, they would be a welcomed addition. I also think starting the 7 mile run earlier makes alot of sense with the heat. I liked the pre-race event on Friday, but agree that more coordination at post-race is needed as it was overcrowded. I could not tell how far I had run as many of the mile-markers were turned the opposite direction or were missing altogether - I think I only saw 2 markers during the entire race. I will run this again as it is a good cause, close to my house and a nice flat race, but I hope to see improvements next year.

• hereugo Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    43. Jun 16, 2010 6:50 PM (in response to Guest )

This was the worst race I have ever run. Starting with the shuttle bus driver who was responsible for dropping us off at the starting line who had to ask the people on the bus for a map and directions.  I foolishly decided to go to the bathroom one last time with only 10 minutes until the start of the race.  Needless to say because the line was so long I did not start the race on time, however, according to my Garmin watch it was 8:03 when I attempted to find the starting line.  I was shocked to find that the race had started and they had already removed the timing pad so my timing chip was essential worthless.  I can only reiterate what the others said about the water stations which were less than satisfying.  Being handed a warm cup of water on such a hot day at every water station was unacceptable and dangerous.  The mile markers were confusing.  Most of the 7 mile markers were flipped over and hard to read.  It was extremely hot and the only refreshing thing offered to the runners at the end of the race was the cold watermelon.  Very disappointed with the race.  I loved the course but did not like how the race was administered.

• Asics1971 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    44. Jun 16, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to Guest )

I have done this run once before. I dont think I will be doing it again though. (I know I am repeating what others  have said.)

I think the race needs to start earlier. It is soo hot. There were water issues before it began- the jugs of water ran out and we had to wait for more. Then there were only 3 water stops on the whole course- and the water was warm. At the 3rd water stop, there were these tiny cups- I was dying of heat and there was a tiny shot of warm water!

The watermelon at the end was wonderful and it was cold. I loved it. The bananas were good too. The water bottles at the end were warm though. I looked around for a station that was there 2 years ago when I did this run - it was a "misting" area and there was water being sprayed from all these different areas and it was wonderul. This year at the end of the run there was one little spray thing- it just wasn't what it was. I was definitely disappointed.

I had to travel about 45 minutes to get there to do this run, so I didnt participate in any prerace activity. I would have liked to see more after-race activities.

I love the bagpipes at the beginning of the race. But other than that, I heard nothing to indicate the run was even starting.

I really liked the shirts and liked how the women's shirts were slightly different and more fitting then the men's shirts. I think this race is for a wonderful cause.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...