Skip navigation

1629 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 28, 2009 2:26 PM by Gerry Oakes RSS
katherine8067 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2009 11:52 AM

Advice please for 8067metre swim

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm a transplant nurse and on Jan 26th swimming 8067metres (1 metre for each person on the transplant waiting list)

I'm doing regular swims, but just concerned that I'm not maximising the usefulness of these sessions. Any suggestions on how weekly distance/regimes I should be aiming for would be great.

Also advice on hydration during the swim!

Thanks very much, realise I'm asking a lot of questions in one post!

Katherine

• Gerry Oakes Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 28, 2009 2:26 PM (in response to katherine8067)
    Re: Advice please for 8067metre swim

Katherine,

Sounds like a great challenge. Tough to train hard with only 4 weeks to go. How much training are you doing weekly at the moment? This will help me determine what you can do in the next few weeks. My best recommendation is to treat your swim as a 'jog' and not a race. The key is to find a pace where you are comfortable maintaining. Maybe 75% of your max speed. If you are comfortable you can swim for greater distance.

I did a 10,000 Meter open water swim this past summer, and the longest swim I did prior to the event itself was 7000 meters. My typical workouts the last six weeks was 4000 meters maybe 3-4x a week. Then I did a 6000 meter swim and later a 7000 meter swim. The 10,000 meter open water swim took me approx 3.hrs 20 min....should have been 3hrs but we had a current in our face at the end.

If you find that comfortable pace, you'll be amazed on how far you can go. If I were you try and find a Coach nearby and consult with him on your specific workouts.  Don't worry about stopping if you feel like it, nobody said you can't take a breather once in a while. Good luck.

Gerry

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points