Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4700 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2010 7:15 AM by Runnergal262 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
Jul 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2010 6:09 AM

Happy New Year, Penpals!! What are your goals?

Time to get off our duffs and get back to the PPP - Perfect Penquin Pace!

The New Year brings a new set of challenges and goals for me. How about you?

I just turned 55. I lost 23 lbs in "09 and am shooting for another 30.

I was able to run 7 mile stretches in "09 and am moving forward to 10 miles and beyond this year.

I have met some absolutely wonderful folks on these pages and am looking forward another year of friendship. 

Time to lace up the shoes and tell me your plans for the new decade!

• pinkerbell Pro 64 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009

This year I'd like to run my 1st half marathon... Haven't committed to anything yet though...

Good for you getting comfortable with 10 miles!!  I hope I can get there, right now I'm stuck on 5-6 miles being my max.

Happy New Years!

• RICH48 Pro 106 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007

This year I plan to run my second half marathon in May (1st in October 09) and my 1st full marathon in November. My goal has always been to run the whole event, never cared about the time - just finishing. I'm 61 years old, started running at 59. I figure 2010 is going to be my year, Wish me luck!

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009

Looks like all have made great progress and are setting worthwhile goals.  A great way to start the New Year!

I'm currently training for my first half, scheduled for March.  I haven't signed up yet, though.  I'm going to train for about a month more, and if I feel ready I'll go ahead and register.  If not, there is another one in June.  My main goal for my first half?  Finish by lunchtime.  LOL

FOR SURE, I am going to do the San Antonio Rock n' Roll Half Marathon.  Although by next November, who knows?  I may be ready for the full!

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008

This year I plan to:

• Run every major distance: 5k, 10k, Half, Marathon, Ultra
    • Run every day of the year and complete at least 2000 miles.
    • Drop 25 lbs
  • TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009

Mike - I love the quote in your signature.

My goal is to run a half marathon this year. And I'd like to lose 15 pounds but I'm hopeful that will happen as I train for the half.

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009

PPP- in response to that I am ROTFL... as the perennial "turtle" that longs so much to be a hare that I am, I can so relate to your point.

So the goal, marathon # 3.  May, 2010.  Green Bay, WI, Lambeau Field, I cannot imagine a more suitable end to a race of that magnitude.

Sep 1, 2009

Sorry to hear of your loss, I recently lost a great auntie at 99, I too have a longeviity streak in my family on both sides, I think with my running and healthy habits I will either A) die young inexplicably or B) live to be something really rediculous like 120.  Who really knows for sure.  I thought of her "funeral" as more of a celebration of a life that was so richly long and so well lived.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008

Happy New year!

2010 is a big year for me! I turn 40. last year I lost over 50 lbs and have kept it off with this addiction that we call running.

For 2010 I have already completed one of my goals which was to participate in a "Penguin Swim" on New Years Day.  I am proud to say that I accomplished that goal on 01/01 in Ocean City, MD while on a mini-vacation there.

My running goals for 2010:

Run my first Marathon which will be the Long Island Marathon on 05/02/10.

Run 2 half's one of which will be a half in Boston on 06/27/10

I also want to run 5K's with my 3 kids.  They are 12, 10 and 8.  My 10 year old finished her first 5K in November 2009 with me. What a thrill!

I want to wish you all a wonderful, healthy, injury free Happy New Year!

Mike on LI

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

Sep 1, 2009

Michael-I am really wowed that you can be on your feet that long.  My PPP is somewhere just under 5 hours currently, or Plan "H" as I call which stands for for "Come Heck and/or High Water, I'm gonna' finish this dang thing."  Maybe not totally Penguin-like but compared to my friends, I have definite Penguin-like qualities showing up there.  I'm about the last one to come thru the chute despite good training, etc... oh well.  My current PPP goal has been revised upwards a tad to be 4:30 but I may be dreaming still....

Sep 1, 2009

I love the 23 and 25 year old reference here being who I am and working with colleagues that age and seeing the age difference very keenly... while maybe I am not as quite as much later in life as you - very aptly put it, btw I am definitely not 23 or 25 anymore.  As much as I claim to be "permanently" 25....and my body is starting to let me know it... not quite able to bounce back as quick as I once could..but that is life.  With that said... I don't think I'd go back there unless I could take what I know now with me!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...