Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5655 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2011 2:08 PM by Julia66 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
Oct 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2010 10:47 AM

Is anyone over 60?

I started the C25K and got to week 8 but started to have a knee problem. Hoping to start again. I have been trying to cross train on the bike and other thiings easy on my knee. It has been almost a month and it is almost better. I might try to start to run in about a week.

Just wondering how many over 60's there are who also just started to run.

aprillilly
  • bulkster Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    1. Jan 3, 2010 8:17 PM (in response to aprillilly)
    Re: Is anyone over 60?

I had a similar problem back in the spring.  I have run before so I knew not to run too far too fast, but you know what I did, was up to 3 miles after 5 weeks, still slow but I started feeling a pain right at the top of the tibia where it should be cushioned going into the knee socket.  If there is such a thing, I'm not a doctor but I knew it wasn't shin splints ( been there, done that )

So I took the summer off, got back into running Oct. 11th, and took it painstakingly slow.  I just ran a 5K on Jan.2 and did fine.  I only timed myself on 2 runs during the period from Oct to Jan, because I knew if I started recording times I would start running against the clock.

By the way I'm 62, and have run before, but my last race was in 1999, so I'm starting over.  Am not overweight or health issues so I'm lucky there and otherwise in good shape. I really think that at this age, your muscles take a lot longer to take to this type of exercise, as opposed to being 30 or even 40 for instance. So even if you were active as a youngster, allow yourself much more time to get back in shape.

So my next goal is to slowly lengthen the runs and work on speed occasionally, working up to some 10K's in late spring.  Then we'll see what is next at that point.

Bulkster

• RICH48 Pro 106 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    2. Jan 6, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I'm 61, started at 59 (c25k) I have been very lucky so far with no injuries so far. I took everything very slow, I saw too many older runners getting injured. After my first 5k I did one every two months for a while then every month with a couple 10k's thrown in. Last Oct I did my first 1/2 marathon, May will be my second and if I can stay injury free Nov will be my 1st full marathon. So, it can be done, keep it at your own pace and make sure you have the best shoes for you. Good Luck and Keep us informed

• rps06 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2010
    3. Sep 25, 2010 8:43 PM (in response to RICH48)

I am 67.  I started running the beginning of August.  Last week I ran my first 3 miles in 35:08.  I am still having problems with my breathing, I find my self breathing too hard.  I am hoping to run my first 5K on Oct 16th.  I like to get my time down around 30 minutes.   Does anyone have any times for 5k runners around my age?  

• bulkster Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    4. Sep 26, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to rps06)

From experience, I wouldn't even think about somebody's else's times.  You run against yourself, that's the fun of it and seeing your own improvement.  I ran a 5K in Jan., 2010 @ 28.18, but I think that a 70 year old guy beat me.  By the way I was 5th in my age group, so there were 4 faster than me.   I was 62 then, 63 in March.

So continue to run and set your own goals, not somebody else's. 

On breathing, try to get into some kind of rhythm.  I exhale fully every other time my left foot hits the pavement, and slowly inhale through the next few foot hits, till that left foot hits again.  During training runs I inhale over a longer period, such as filling the lungs until every second, or even third time the left foot hits.  During a race it could be the last half of the race I exhale every time the left foot hits.  Just figure out a rhythm that's good for you. 

Good Luck, and do your thing and read other posts to get ideas.

Bulkster

• run50yrs Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    5. Sep 29, 2010 5:44 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I'm 64, but I've been running for 50 years.  One thing we all have in common is the loss of muscle strength; we have to work harder than the kids to stay uninjured, which means hard work in addition to running.  If you're not up to the time commitment and discipline, you won't be running long.  Work on your quads and calves, and don't forget your abdomen.

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    6. Sep 29, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I'm 62, I'll be 63 in December.  I've been running about a year and a half.

• TedAndresen Amateur 247 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 3, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I am 67.  I have been running since I was 12.  Right now I am involved in an experiment; I do a 5K every day, generally on an evil machine.

I suggest that you consider backing down on your speed, so that the impact loading on your joints at foot strike is lower.  The compressive loading on your leg at foot strike depends on your speed.

I would recommend that you run at a much slower speed that does not create discomfort.  When you fell okay at that pace, consider increasing your speed, but very slowly.

Ted

• indyvet Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 10, 2007
    8. Nov 10, 2010 4:08 PM (in response to rps06)

I am 64 and started running at 63. Over 200lbs @6'1". It has been 18 months since I started. I am blind in one eye, had a full shoulder replaced 2 years ago, left knee surgery 15 years ago. Tested for COPD because of limited breathing, but I had cronic asthma aggrevated by allergies. So I identify with your breathing situation. In 18 months I have completed 14 races....4 of which are half marathons. 5K pr=  29:46....10K=1:09:21 and half=2:20:21. Two races this year breathing just about stopped me. What I have learned to do is watch what pace my breathing panic or shut down started. I run with a Garmin Forerunner now so I can accurately monitor this. I then trained at just below that pace and did fartleks occcasionly. Doing that I increased my distance instead of my speed. I also learned to adjust my breathing pace to my running pace. Gradually my times got better and better, and I still am working on them. In a 90 day period I was able to shave over a minute a mile average off every distance I run. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.....Dennis

• JimKirby19 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    9. Jul 6, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I have been running since I was 16, now 62.  I have been using ChoPat straps since the mid-80's and have stopped having knee pain.  It tilts the kneecap ever so slightly away from the socket so the ridge on the back of the kneecap does not rub against the sides of the groves in the leg bones.  This stops the irritation and swelling so no pain.  This was my issue after having major surgery to the knee in 1972.  I was a paratrooper.  At 19 it was a lot of fun - now I am paying for the fun.  I am signed up for my 9th marathon at Disney World in JAN 2012.  Have fun, I hope this helps, and don't stop moving.

• SnowGoosebc Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    10. Jul 8, 2011 1:44 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I am over sixty.  Lost 80 lbs running.  Love running now,  after two years, but was injury prone at first.  Best advce I could give is take it slow!!  The slower

you progress, the healthier you will be.  Nothing wrong with walking the distance if you feel a bit off for a while.  Its all in the roadwork, not the speed!!  Enjoy yourself.

• Coastwalker Legend 384 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    11. Jul 16, 2011 6:18 PM (in response to aprillilly)

I'm 63. I started running in '90, and switched to racewalking (because of foot issues) in '03. Still at it, doing races from 1,500m to half marathons.

I wonder if you have the right shoes for the way you run? Have you gone to a good running shoe store to have your stride and foot strike analyzed to make sure you have the right shoes? Another consideration is whether or not you are giving yourself enough easy, rest, and/or cross-training days each week. As we get older, we don't bounce back quite as quickly as we once did, and it becomes easier to sustain overuse injuries.

Good luck!

Jay

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    12. Aug 20, 2011 7:31 AM (in response to aprillilly)

I was talking to my dad on the phone, telling him about my run that morning, when he said, "Your mom is thinking about getting into running." My mom is 73!  But perhaps she's not nuts and figures what's good for her daughters (my sister and I are in our 40s and both run) may be good for her. My parents live on the coast, and Mom walks several miles a day, either on the beach or the coastal paved trail. She's never run, though, and was thinking about starting off with some slow jogging during her walks. Is this a good idea? My aunt (Mom's sister) broke her hip recently, and Mom's been diagnosed with osteoporisis in her spine. She also has high blood pressure - the meds were affecting her energy so she couldn't come close to walking her goal of 10,000 steps per day, but off the meds she can do it no problem. The blood pressure has shot back up, though. Someone commented on running lowering blood pressure, which sounds like a much better method than taking pills with side effects.

Sound like from other posts than if Mom takes it slow, running could be good for her. Any input?

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• JimKirby19 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    13. Aug 20, 2011 7:38 AM (in response to Julia66)

Julia66,

My wife and I both use Hawthorne Berries (Walmart has them for about $5 a bottle) and this has helped keep our blood pressure in line without having to use meds.  It might help with your mom.  Also, have her start SLOW with the running/jogging. Take time and build up to whatever distance she is looking to be able to do.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    14. Aug 20, 2011 8:29 AM (in response to Julia66)

I think I'd be just as cautious about the osteoporsis.  Running will introduce more stress on the spine.  I don't think that's enough reason not to run, but it has to be a consideration.  Of course, weight-bearing exercise is also supposed to help with bone density.

Len

Len

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points